Closed Loop System Pics and benefits

reefin101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is my CLS om my 250G setup.
OM 4 way powered by dart gold 1.5" tripple intake and 4 1" outlets.... Rock is built up all around the outlets and intake.
It is SPS dominate and am planning on adding some extra flow now either with bigger pump (hammerhea gold) or something like a vortech MP40

I prefer CLS due to clean hidden look.....
100_2675.jpg

100_2671.jpg

theronin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some shots of how I plumbed my closed loop on my recent 300g tank build.
Eggcrate-600x398.jpg

I cut slits and drilled holes in each of the four pipes attached to the 1" outputs of my OM 4way.
Holes_2-600x398.jpg

Holes_1-600x398.jpg

I have a Sequence 5500gph pump driving my CL system. Here is a shot of all four pipes and the 1.5" intake.
First_sand-600x398.jpg

I am using the CL pipes as a support structure for my rock work. My goal is to have many random smaller currents instead of four blasting jets in the tank.
Rock_3-600x398.jpg

Rock_4-600x398.jpg

Here is a shot with all of the rock in it as I began to fill it. All of the pipe is covered. The random currents are very cool.
DSC_3693-485x316.jpg

Um this looks amazing, any shots of it up and running???

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever seen a closed loop system where the holes are on the bottom of the tank? How would that work? Obviously BB but how do you keep anything from ending up in that system?

I'm looking at a used tank that has three closed loop holes drilled for it in the bottom, two upfront (one in each corner) and one in the back. Would it be better just to plug these rather than use them?
b20dd083a420206c07f47bb8a13b9cfe.jpg

Toomnymods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever seen a closed loop system where the holes are on the bottom of the tank? How would that work? Obviously BB but how do you keep anything from ending up in that system?

I'm looking at a used tank that has three closed loop holes drilled for it in the bottom, two upfront (one in each corner) and one in the back. Would it be better just to plug these rather than use them?
b20dd083a420206c07f47bb8a13b9cfe.jpg

Closed loops are a thing of the past imo.. soo many safer ways to circulate water.. mp40’s, gyre pumps, seaswirls, etc.. if one of these fittings or seals leak there goes ur whole tank if you dont catch it.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put the outputs from the CL up a few inches with a 45 on the end and still have sand - this can keep and from blowing around as much as a flow pump can.. Intake is best away from the sand bed and on the back of the tank.

CLs can be great on large tanks where a flow pump is like farting into the wind. In smaller tanks, flow pumps work pretty well. Some people just like the look of a CL and not having any pumps in the tank. To each their own. If you are going to do a CL, then you need a powerful pump that can pump some high velocity - a high-flow DC pump is not going to cut it since they struggle with backpressure/head. Eductors can really increase the flow.

My new 10x3x3 tank will have a pair of CLs. Even a Tunze 6200 series, MP60 or the largest Gyre cannot move water into the middle of this tank, but a CL with eductors can create massive flow with less electricity. Going to use Ocean Motion 4 way on each side.

You might get more opinions if you start a new post... some people will not respond to a thread that is so old.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of closed loops used holes in the bottom of the tank (including pictures in this thread). I do think it is unwise, and I would not do it anymore. I still use a CL on my 450, but all holes are along to top of the back panel not in the bottom.

Back