Crinoid Feather Sea Star and Porpita porpita care?

Theclutziestspazzofaninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've become increasingly interested in "NPS" type animals and these two are on my list of critters that I'd love more info on if anyone has any. I'd love to know your experience (if you've had any) or if you have any great info or articles that'll help me out. I understand that they are both filter feeding animals and are difficult to care for, but what would you recommend feeding? How often?
I wouldn't be getting one for a little while as I need to see how keeping other, less difficult creatures goes (my spiny cucumber and possibly a sea apple) But might as well start researching them now, right? ;)
Anyway, any info would be great, thanks! :)

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the thread you need to look at by Aquabac: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/general-invert-forum/41357-say-hello-one-my-crinoids-5.html
Bongo Shrimp on both here and RC also had crinoids, I would look up some of his older threads.

I have some experience with Crinoids and my first thought is, "don't try to keep them", lol, although I completely love them.

keeping something like crinoids or other extremely difficult to care for NPS animals requires consistent feeding and very good water quality, the latter being very difficult to achieve due to the former.

I would say to not even think about it unless your tank is dedicated to NPS animals, and even if your tank is dedicated to NPS, the crinoid is absolutely one of the most difficult species to even obtain in a good condition let alone thrive.

At a minimum you will need a automated feeding system of dosing pumps and ATO for stability. WC schedule and refugium is also very important as well IMO for keeping these animals.

From my experience I fed a single crinoid 3x a day with oysterfeast, phyto, cylopeeze, roti-feast and i spot fed him directly on his arms when they were in feed mode (Aquabac suggested in his thread that the crinoids in his tank loved Fauna Marin Min F). They need to be fed often and throughout the day but are generally cryptic so like to feed at lights out. Mine showed arm regeneration and good feeding and resting response so I was pretty sure he was eating (My observation was that this crinoid actively caught and ate cyclopeeze when target fed). Unfortunately he died after 4 months b/c my tank was not equipped to handle me being away for extended periods after a family tragedy (which is why i say automation is a must).

Once they go downhill they die fast so finding the healthiest specimen is the most important thing and near impossible as almost all the rare times I have seen them at the LFS they were falling apart as they are never equipped to keep one for long term nor do crinoids ship well. This reason alone makes obtaining crinoids difficult and more in the category of "best left in the ocean" IMO although I do believe advances in the hobby make them more feasible to keep these days.

GL on your research and tank build...i'd love to see it. PM me anytime if you'd like to hear more about my experience with it or if you'd like some more links to info.

Here are some pics of mine, i really wished i had equipped him with a more stable home as I urge you to do if you go the NPS route:

Crinoid 1.JPG

crinoid resting.JPG

crinoid and  nem crab.JPG

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back