Matt's 40br zoa tank

aquaman3680

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 25, 2008
Messages
412
Reaction score
96
Location
Lake of the Ozarks, MO
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I figured I should start up a thread for my new tank, set up yesterday. The tank is plumbed into my 90 gallon system for a total water volume of 145 gallons. In the 90 I am wanting to make the tank more SPS oriented but I was not willing to give up the zoas so I set up their own tank. So this tank is going to primarily be zoanthids and palys, with a few acans and goniopora mixed in. The tank is a 40 breeder with 70lbs. of live rock and 60lbs. live sand. For lighting I went with a 250 watt MH with 2 32 watt PC's. I was planning on doing T-5 lights but I came into a pendant that had a mogul socket and 2 PC sockets for free, so I couldn't pass that up.

For flow I am using 3 nano Korallias and a Korallia 1 on a wave maker for sporadic flow that the zoas and palys love. I have a mag 5 as a return pump. I have a rather large zoa garden in my 90 gallon tank that I am transferring into the 40 today.

Here are some pictures of the tank as it went up yesterday!

IMG_0037.jpg

70lbs of rock some of those are huge!

IMG_0043.jpg

Sand and rock

IMG_0044.jpg


IMG_0045.jpg


IMG_0046.jpg

First water!

IMG_0052.jpg

The tank this morning

IMG_0054.jpg

and again

I will keep this updated as often as possible!

Matt
 
Looking good bro can't wait for more pics!
 
Small update-

All of the corals are moved over into their final place. I had more zoas than I thought I had! I have added a very small mimic tang, a yellow coris wrasse, and a mated pair of yellow watchman gobies.

Here are some pictures!
_DSC2287-resizedr.jpg

_DSC2312-resizedr.jpg

_DSC2345-resizedr.jpg

_DSC2316-resizedr.jpg

_DSC2320-resizedr.jpg

_DSC2374-resizedr.jpg

_DSC2324-resizedr.jpg

_DSC2341-resizedr.jpg


I cant wait for these zoas to start growing again!

Enjoy!

Matt
 
Last edited:
Thanks reef-nut, I was thinking of calling them aquamans as they are the same color as aqua man. What do ya'll think?

Here are some more pictures!

_DSC2328-resizedr.jpg

_DSC2339-resizedr.jpg

_DSC2343-resizedr.jpg

_DSC2344-resizedr.jpg

_DSC2361-resizedr.jpg

_DSC2357-resizedr.jpg

_DSC2314-resizedr.jpg

_DSC2371-resizedr.jpg

_DSC2319-resizedr.jpg

Enjoy!

Matt
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments!

It has taken quite awhile to get my collection together!

Frag Express- The camera is a Nikon D50, I would like to upgrade to the D200 or D300. The lens is a Promaster 100mm Macro lens. Not the best lens but works fine until I can get the money for a Sigma or a Nikon lens.

Matt
 
I am using a top down box. It also has a matched magnifying glass that goes with the lens. With the shallowness of the tank I am able to get very close to the actual coral itself. I would actually like to get a 60mm macro lens, just dont want to spend $400 on a decent one.

Matt
 
Here is a little update-

Not too much has been added. As of now I am just waiting for stuff to settle in and start growing. Here are some pictures as well as an updated full tank shot.

_DSC3119.jpg


_DSC3125.jpg


_DSC3128.jpg


_DSC3229.jpg


_DSC3230.jpg


_DSC3221.jpg


_DSC3144.jpg


_DSC3219.jpg


Enjoy the pics!

Matt
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new