1 month old tank full of ich

RedBeans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have coral and fish and I just noticed that ich has cycled and is apparent on four of my 7 fish. I don't have a qt tank and I don't know what to do. I have raised the temperature to 80 and I am going to the fish store tomorrow, but I am concerned it is to late for some of the fish.

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have coral and fish and I just noticed that ich has cycled and is apparent on four of my 7 fish. I don't have a qt tank and I don't know what to do. I have raised the temperature to 80 and I am going to the fish store tomorrow, but I am concerned it is to late for some of the fish.

without a qt tank there is not much your going to do.
raising the temp will shorten the life cycle of ich, but in a reef other than removing all the fish and letting it go fish free there is nothing your going do.
the lfs isnt going to be much help as thats more than likely where you got said ich.
i would setup a qt asap and look at hyposalinity as an option.

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a qt setup doesnt have to be fancy. a simple bare tank with some pvc for fish hiding spots.
what fish do you currently have?

Momma_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not true! There is something that you can do. It may stress the fish a tiny bit, but it will kill the ich. If you can catch your fish, get a bowl of FRESH water and quickly dip them in for no longer than about 30-40 seconds. Then put them back into your tank, but make sure that ALL the fish are out first. You want to do this to all your fish. Either way, one may or may not die, but it's a better chance if you do the freshwater dip than just letting it go. After you have done the freshwater dip, leave the tank alone for atleast a week and keep a close eye on all your fish and coral and then continue to maintain your aquarium. Your fish probably got Ich from the local pet store. I won't ever pour the water I get the pet store into my tank, I always make sure that I dump the fish into another bucket and use a net (or my hand, depending on the fish) into my aquarium.

I have a freshwater tank also, and I am the same way. My husband does more the saltwater tank than I do, and I have seen him use the freshwater dip to a success. It can stress the fish out just a touch, but they are already majorly stressed.

Another thing you can do is just LEAVE them be and let them get comfortable. Keep an eye out on them and find out what is causing the fish to get stressed out. Ich is always in fish water, regardless, it lives on fish, but they have an immune system to it until the immune system is weakened by stress or something wrong with the water (high nitrates or high phosphates).

It's your choice. But I would really recommend the freshwater dip. Like I said before, no longer than 30-40 seconds. In fact, it only takes 10 seconds to kill saltwater ich. You can use the same method with freshwater fish with a saltwater dip.

Hope this helps.

Momma_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P.S. I would get a quarintine tank set up. They really do help. We have a 29 gallon one that has nothing but coral, four mollies, and one salt water fish in it. In fact one of our mushrooms were dying and we put it in this 29 gallon tank and it now has his color back and is doing wonderful! Soon he will go back into the 75 gallon tank.

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not true! There is something that you can do. It may stress the fish a tiny bit, but it will kill the ich. If you can catch your fish, get a bowl of FRESH water and quickly dip them in for no longer than about 30-40 seconds. Then put them back into your tank, but make sure that ALL the fish are out first. You want to do this to all your fish. Either way, one may or may not die, but it's a better chance if you do the freshwater dip than just letting it go. After you have done the freshwater dip, leave the tank alone for atleast a week and keep a close eye on all your fish and coral and then continue to maintain your aquarium. Your fish probably got Ich from the local pet store. I won't ever pour the water I get the pet store into my tank, I always make sure that I dump the fish into another bucket and use a net (or my hand, depending on the fish) into my aquarium.

I have a freshwater tank also, and I am the same way. My husband does more the saltwater tank than I do, and I have seen him use the freshwater dip to a success. It can stress the fish out just a touch, but they are already majorly stressed.

Another thing you can do is just LEAVE them be and let them get comfortable. Keep an eye out on them and find out what is causing the fish to get stressed out. Ich is always in fish water, regardless, it lives on fish, but they have an immune system to it until the immune system is weakened by stress or something wrong with the water (high nitrates or high phosphates).

It's your choice. But I would really recommend the freshwater dip. Like I said before, no longer than 30-40 seconds. In fact, it only takes 10 seconds to kill saltwater ich. You can use the same method with freshwater fish with a saltwater dip.

Hope this helps.

care to bet on that?
freshwater dips will not kill anything but free swimming cysts which if your fish have spots its not free swimming.
perhaps you should look abit more into the topic!

OP
OP
R

RedBeans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deep Blue Solar xtreme SE, 42448
Lamp Type : T5, G14 54W
Model SE, 42448

I have a 4 week old 75g tank.

Lights: Deep Blue Solar xtreme SE, 42448 Lamp Type : T5, G14 54WModel SE, 42448

55lbs of premium live rock: half live sand/half regular

Tank was filled with cheater salt water.

Eshopps rs100 sump with $200 skimmer (not sure model)

2 clown fish: 1 neon pseudo: 5 hermit crabs: 1 Snail: Rock with 10 purple mushroom corals: frag of Green star polyps.

3 anthium and a cleaner wrasse

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
care to bet on that?
freshwater dips will not kill anything but free swimming cysts which if your fish have spots its not free swimming.

You might as well read up on the temp. Raising as well. Works on freshwater ich but not on marine ich.

Freshwater dips will work to rid a fish of the parasite but must ne dipped for no shorter than 6 minutes but no longer than 8-9. But doing this and then throwing the fish back into the display where the parasite is will only cause it to get re-infected. Only sure fire way to rid the tank is either pull all your fish out and allow the tank to be fallow for 6-8 weeks or u can pull all your Corals ans inverts and have the rank in hyposalinity for 8 weeks. These are really the only two sure fire ways to rid the system of this parasite

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for any typos. Posted this from my phone

Momma_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I would bet on that! I have many fish in my tank and I have a couple of Skunk Clowns that had it when they were moved! Quess what, they lived and the spots where gone within a day. So yea I would bet on it. I'd be my own fish. I didn't say it was a perfect solution, but there is no way, and I mean NO WAY you can get rid of ick without using a quartine tank when you have coral in your tank. It's just impossible because the medication that you use to get rid of ick will kill your coral, and if you read on the bottle it tells you if you have coral NOT to use it. I also had a couple of damsels that had it and did the same thing and they lived. The only fish out of 12 fish that didn't make it was our butterfly fish. But that's where the other fish got it from in the first place. We did not realize until we got home that the fish had ick from the petstore. I know what I am talking about, and as far as doing my research, I have done more research in the last 2 years (that's how long I have been dealing with saltwater, my husband has had longer experience) and I have a book that is thicker than a encyclopedia about just any saltwater fish diesease that you can get in an aquarium, plus on top of that it includes all the fish, coral, inverts and anything else (algae included) in it.
care to bet on that?

Last edited by a moderator:

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only concern i have with the fresh water dip is, that it can be more stressful if not close the the same temp, and ph... seems would be more stressfull to just dump them in a bucket of freshwater with nothign done to it... and considering most straight RO is pretty lack on oxygen. other than that yes freshwater dip does work..

also i have used marine NoIck with good success... but only place i have seen sellignit anymore is one local store here and foster and smiths.. but if you get it make sure that it is the MARINE grade and not the fresh. i used it with soem corals but mostly softies, zoas and palis maybe a lps but it was a long time ago.. either way had no major problems from it and i only lost a few fish but they were the worse covered.. i also put in some skunk cleaner shrimp, and yes many people will argue this that they dont help at all. which they may not, but the 2 i got instantly went to the fish and started pickign at there gills and mouths. my chromis swam right to them and opened his mouth for htem to work on him. the ones that used the shrimp lived.. but not sayign they WILL fix it.

Last edited:

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only concern i have with the fresh water dip is, that it can be more stressful if not close the the same temp, and ph... seems would be more stressfull to just dump them in a bucket of freshwater with nothign done to it... and considering most straight RO is pretty lack on oxygen. other than that yes freshwater dip does work..

also i have used marine NoIck with good success... but only place i have seen sellignit anymore is one local store here and foster and smiths.. but if you get it make sure that it is the MARINE grade and not the fresh. i used it with soem corals but mostly softies, zoas and palis maybe a lps but it was a long time ago.. either way had no major problems from it and i only lost a few fish but they were the worse covered.. i also put in some skunk cleaner shrimp, and yes many people will argue this that they dont help at all. which they may not, but the 2 i got instantly went to the fish and started pickign at there gills and mouths. my chromis swam right to them and opened his mouth for htem to work on him. the ones that used the shrimp lived.. but not sayign they WILL fix it.

your the only one i have ever heard say that stuff worked.

OP
OP
R

RedBeans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temp raise was just to allow the ich cycle to go faster and get the ich to another phase and off the fish. I am looking into a qt tank. I am guessing this is the best way. I hope I can find one already cycled.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you alex, I forgot to put that in my reply as well. When doing a fw dip the ph and temp must be the same as the tank they are coming out of. You also must be aware of the ammonia levels in the fw dip while the fish is in there.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temp raise was just to allow the ich cycle to go faster and get the ich to another phase and off the fish. I am looking into a qt tank. I am guessing this is the best way. I hope I can find one already cycled.

Raising the temp does nothing for the marine ich life cycle.

OP
OP
R

RedBeans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... I bought a 12 gallon nano tank that's been cycled and only has live sand in it. I am considering putting all fish in it and starting one of the treatments. My concern is, even though the tank has been cycled already it has been sitting idle with 1/4 saltwater and sand for 1 week until I place more saltwater in tonight. Is it safe to place fish in this tank now or should I wait?

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you did freshwater dips, and say it kills the ich on the fish, there are still free floating cysts in the water that will simply attach themselves to the fish after putting them back in the tank. Ich has a life cycle of 8-12 weeks, so if you don't kill it ALL by way of copper or hypo, it'll simply infect the fish again.

I'm going through the same thing right now, 2 month old tank and got inch after only the 5th fish added to a 220. Currently have no fish in the display, and will be leaving it for 9-10 weeks so the ich can die out. It'll die if there are no fish to host on after the 8-12 week period.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back