1000 Gallon Fish Room Build

Akersta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I haven't posted on here before but figured I'd share my current build for those that are interested. I'd appreciate any feedback and suggestions you might have on improving what I have so far. Before going into details of my build, my passion for saltwater aquariums started around (4) years ago. Growing up, I always had multiple exotic animals at any given time. These ranged from a few 3' long iguanas to white rats and koi ponds. However, I never did take the plunge into saltwater. After years of moving from apartment to apartment, I finally decided to set-up a saltwater reef in my office cubicle which was the only place for it at the time. Working long hours in a high stress environment, I wanted something to look at from time-to-time to help with the stress. My plans started with a small 20 gallon aquarium on the corner of my desk. This quickly turned into a 55 gallon aquarium along side the wall. I don't think anyone took me seriously despite marking out a spot on the floor with masking tape for several months to make sure the tank wouldn't interfere with anything. Of course, my general manager didn't see my set-up until it was partially filled with water and sand which looked like an absolute mess. After a few months of cycling, the tank was ready for livestock and really took off.

IMG_3827.JPG
55 Gallon Reef as of Summer 2016

I kept my office aquarium for a year or two until I was promoted and it was time to switch office locations. Knowing I couldn't move it to our corporate office I decided to place in my apartment. There I continued to struggle with basic reefkeeping 101. From overstocking my tank with fish causing an ich outbreak that killed off everything to coming up to my prized ribbon eel dead on the floor, it seemed like a never ending learning curve. Around a year ago, I finally moved into my first house at transferred my 55 gallon reef for a second time.

At this point I had already started to collect various pieces of equipment for a larger tank build. My first purchase was a Bubble King SuperMarin 300 internal skimmer. Next I purchased a 250dd aquarium along with a 150dd that the guy had for sale as well. Being a mechanical engineer, I have always appreciated well built items and Royal Exclusive is top of the line in our hobby. In fall of 2015, I placed an order for a Royal Exclusive Dreambox. This was a rather involved experience with several issues along the way. However, the Dreambox finally arrived at my LFS in June of this year.

IMG_4744.JPG
Royal Exclusive Dreambox Sump
Here are a few specifications on the sump:
  • Dreambox - 8d
  • Dimensions: 69"L x 30"W x 14"H
  • Capacity: 113 gal.
  • Return Fittings: (2) 1.25", (2) 1"
  • Overflow Fittings: (6) 1.25", (2) 1.5"
  • Skimmer: Royal Exclusive Supermarin 300 internal
    • RD 2,000 & RD 1,500 pumps
    • Automatic cleaning head
    • Automatic freshwater flush system with spray nozzles and drain valve
  • Reactor: Royal Exclusive 5.0L media reactor for carbon
  • Return Pumps:
    • (2) Red Dragon 230 watt with 10 volt variable control
    • (1) Red Dragon 150 watt with 10 volt variable control
    • (1) Red Dragon 80 watt with 10 volt variable control
  • Heaters: (5) Eheim 300 watt

Being somewhat of a control freak, I want to keep as much redundancy as possible with all equipment. Each of the 230 watt return pumps will supply one return line to each of my (3) main tanks. This should minimize any issues with loosing a return pump. The 150 watt pump will circulate water through an industrial chiller placed on the side of my house. As of now, I'll use the 80 watt pump to circulate water though a series of macroalgae reactors.

The amount and size of aquariums has grown throughout my build. My original intent was to have only a 150dd and 250dd along with a large Rubbermaid tub in my fish room. At some point along the line I picked up two new 300dd Marnineland aquariums. The room will be surrounded on (3) sides with aquariums as shown below. Overall room dimensions are approximately 11' x 11' with a small closet shown on the side opposite the aquariums.

ISO.PNG
ISO View Looking Through Room Door

My intend is to utilize the 250dd for a SPS dominant reef that I can keep angelfish among other high light species of coral. It will be located immediately to the left as you walk into the room. The middle 300dd aquarium will be an LPS dominant reef where I can keep my chalices and other coral.The second 300dd will be predominantly a fish only aquarium for my Epaulette shark, Dragon eel, etc. I'll likely keep zoas and other LPS here as well.

ISO BACK.PNG
ISO View Looking from backside of Sump

SUMP ISO.PNG
View of Sump underneath 300dd
I have spent a lot of time going back and forth on the stand design for all aquariums. After nearly a year of working on this I have decided to go with the stand as shown. This will be constructed utilizing carbon steel heavy wall tube for the support stands. The support beams will be made from 7 gauge, lasered and formed sheet metal with a 1/4" thick steel plate for the top. All steel is currently being fabricated and should be ready for powder coat in a few weeks. I'll be powder coating everything mirror gloss black as of now. All fasteners used to assemble the stand will be 316 stainless steel. As of now, I am planning on using powder coated sheet metal for the lower panels and doors which are not shown. I've contemplated building these out of black starboard and other materials. However, I believe the sheet metal will be the most economical option as of now since I have access to the metal processing and finishing equipment where I work. The weight of the fully assembled steel stand alone will be well over 2,000 lbs. It will be assembled in pieces.

Using laser cut sheet metal has allowed me to pre-cut clearance holes for return and over flow piping for all aquariums. Nearly all of the plumbing will be routed in the 7" deep section of the formed beams. This was not easy since the return plumbing consists of (2) 3" schedule 80 PVC manifolds running around all (3) sides. Each of the (6) overflows runs directly back to the sump using 1 1/4" schedule 80 PVC pipe.

The most challenging aspect of this build to date has been designing the plumbing. Even though I'll be using (2) 230 watt pumps capable of handling 5,500 gph each, there will be a fair amount of head pressure on each pump due to the manifold running around (3) sides of the room and numerous elbows, ball valves, check valves, etc. Using 3" pipe for the return manifolds is probably excessive but I wanted to make sure any friction losses are kept to a minimum. It was also challenging to fit the larger plumbing within a reasonable stand elevation. I believe I ended up with the top of stand being around 41". This required machining down a lot of the 2" and 3" fittings as much as possible. Below is a picture of one my two return pump set-ups. I'll be using a 2" check valve on each pump since my sump capacity cannot hold the back feed from all three aquariums plus the 15 or so gallons inside each of the 3" manifolds. The 2", 3-way ball valve will be utilized to drain each manifold prior to doing maintenance on the check valves.

IMG_4921.JPG
Mock-up of Return Plumbing
LED lighting will be used for all (3) aquariums. As of now, I'll be mounting (4) EcoTech G4 Pro's over the 250dd SPS aquarium. The 300dd LPS aquarium will have (6) EcoTech G3 Pro's. I'm going to try to get by with only (3) EcoTech G3 Pro's over the other 300dd for now, since I won't be growing that much coral in the tank. All radions will be mounted using EcoTech mult-rail mount systems with power supplies mounted to the side of formed steel channels underneath each stand.

I'll be starting out with (2) EcoTech MP60 QD's mounted on the sides and (2) EcoTech MP40 QD's mounted on the back of each aquarium. Additional MP40's will be added as needed once things start to grow. I'll also utilize a few MP40's in the sump to keep detritus from settling. All Vortechs will be controlled using a Neptune Apex WXM module.

All electronics will be controlled using a Neptune Apex controller. I'll start out with (5) Energy Bar 832's. Each will be on it's own separate 20 amp, GFCI circuit. In order to minimize the number of required outlets, I'll be using power strips plugged into the energy bar outlets for lower voltage items such as Vortech pumps and Radion lights. There will also be several I/O breakout boxes by the time this is all configured. Most of the electrical wiring will be concealed in panduit and/or behind white starboard sheets I will use as backing underneath each aquarium.

I am trying to keep the underside of the 250dd and 300dd open for future frag tangs. With that said, most of the other equipment will be placed inside the closet. For calcium & alkalinity, I'll be using a GEO CR818 & KR818. The CR818 will be fed with a Masterflex Miniflex peristaltic pump for precise control. I will never use the precision needle valve or other means of feeding a calcium reactor ever again. The KR818 will be fed with a Neptune DOS with my fresh water on demand system. PH will be monitored with the Apex unit.

In order to keep up with a massive bioload in the not so distant future, I'll be building (4) custom macroalgae reactors. Each reactor will be 8" dia. x 48" high with an EcoTech L1 pump on the bottom. The reactor will be lighted with LED's wrapped around a titanium tube. The tube will be sealed inside of a watertight, clear, PVC tube and cooled by pumping saltwater through the inner diameter. Due to the required flow rate and friction losses, there will be a separate return line on the outside of the reactor. All (4) reactors will be fed from the sump with a Red Dragon 80 watt pump. This will adjusted so that the flow controls the amount of Phosphate removal through the reactors. The L1 pumps will be utilized to increase circulation on occasion to increase the amount of pods in the water column for feeding the main tanks. It will also be used to flush each reactor with RO water once a week to clean the Chaeto algae of detritus. In stead of taking each unit outside and cleaning on occasion, I am planning on decoupling the supply and return lines and circulating a strong bleach solution to dissolve all Chaeto and organic matter. The maximum flow of the L1 pump will create a nice vortex to ensure all organic matter is removed. Once cleaned, the bleach solution will be drained out through the bottom and the reactor will be flushed several times with RO water. It will then be allowed to completely dry before being re-stocked with Chaeto and filled with Saltwater. Below is a screen shot of my current reactor design.

REACTOR.PNG
Macro Algae Reactor
Humidity will be controlled with an air exchanger mounted in the attic and ducted into by fish and quarantine rooms. It is my hope that this combined with Acrylic covers over all aquariums and sump will be enough for humidity control. If necessary, I will add an industrial de-humidifier to the fish room. There will also be a ventilation system to provide fresh air from outside the house to the skimmer air supply lines along with exhausting air from inside the sump and pulling outside the house.

Water changes and fresh water top off will be handled through the Apex. I am planning on purchasing the new Neptune module for this once it is released later this year. Water changes will be completed with a MasterFlex MiniFlex dual head pump. I am planning on doing a constant but minimal water change at all times. Sump water will be discharged from the Masterflex pump directly to an outside waste drain, while newly made saltwater will be pumped from my storage containers in my garage. A 300 gallon tank will hold RO water while a 250 gallon tank will hold freshly made saltwater. Both saltwater and freshwater will be pumped overhead through the attic with on demand, diaphragm pumps. This will ensure a constant 40 psi in the manifold for each. On the discharge end, a 24 VDC ball valve will be used in conjunction a Masterflex or DOS pump to meter the flow as an added fail safe.

Currently I have removed the existing carpet in the room and am waiting on the stand to be completed. Once the stand is assembled, I will install porcelain tile on the floor and inside the closet. The aquariums will likely have to come though the front window shown on their side. I'll likely hire a moving company to do this. Hopefully I'll have the aquariums in place and filled to start the cycle by the end of this year.

IMG_5584.JPG
Current State of Fish Room

I have already completed the majority of my quarantine room. It measures approximately 12' x 12' as well. Two 20 gallon aquariums will be used to quarantine corals for a period of around (3) months to try and prevent any hitch hikers and parasites from entering the display tanks. A 150dd aquarium will also be used as a quarantine tank for fish. The 150 gal. Rubbermaid stock tank shown is only temporary to hold my Epaulette shark and a few other fish. All aquariums in this room will have their own automatic top off and saltwater changing systems along with automatic dosing. Porcelain 12" x 24" plank tile was installed for ease of maintenance.

IMG_5586.JPG
Quarantine Room

IMG_5053.JPG
LPS Frag Tank

Last edited:

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An amazing start so far...definitely look forward to seeing your build progress.

Martyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be a great build. Don't underestimate the effects of humidity. You'll definitely need the air exchanger and dehumidifier. I could be wrong, but I think you'll end up not wanting the tanks covered.

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, Welcome to R2R
Secondly I am following this build.

OP
OP
Akersta

Akersta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone!

Yes, the humidity does have me concerned. Since the room has already been dry walled and finished I don't want to mess with the walls. I'll be putting several coats of Sherwin Williams best moisture resistant, outdoor paint on all walls and the ceiling. I'm hoping I'll be okay covering the tanks and venting the skimmer and sump to the outside. I'll have a 130 cfm fan pushing air into the skimmer and another 130 cfm fan pulling air out of the sump. They will likely not run all the time but I will see how well this works. Anyone with any experience with this please let me know. The covers will be rather expensive but I can't imagine the humidity from 51 sq/ft of open saltwater...

I do have a gf and we've been together for several years now. Think she is used to me going over the top on most of my projects by now. Her only objection to date has been covering the front window with an aquarium as this was not my original plan. Our dogs like to look outside and bark at anything that moves. I countered with telling her I'll put in a storm door on the front porch so they can look out the front door. She did ask me if I thought the 3" piping, ball valve, etc for the return pumps was a little excessive while sitting on the kitchen table. She doesn't care what I blow my money on as long as it not at a strip club.

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is incredible, I wish I could do something like that. I second LParker480, you definitely need a reality show for this. I like the macro algae reactor, will you post pics of the finished product, I would be interested in trying to build one for myself. Does it work like an algae scrubber? Look forward to more pics. Good luck with your build!

Erick F.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am loving this build! I have a suggestion based off of previous experience with doing a multiple tank propagation system. My suggestion is that you separate your systems. What I mean by this is that SPS will obviously require different water parameters than LPS and Softies. I built a 300 gallon system that consisted of 3 different frag tanks, sharing one main sump. I quickly discovered that SPS corals do not like the same salinity as Softies. And that Softies do not like low nutrient parameters that are needed to successfully grow SPS. After spending several thousand dollars to change out the plumbing, add new sumps, new apex probes, heaters and skimmers I wish I would have thought the plan completely through prior to starting it. I would at least add a separate sump just for the SPS, especially if you are planning on growing difficult and high end SPS corals. Those are just my two cents for ya! Please keep us all updated with progress pics!

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this is going to be great. Thank you for sharing this with us. I too would consider having a separate system for your sps tank. Again, Welcome[emoji3]

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love it and welcome!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back