1000G Puffer Display

x_burt

Smells like fish...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to R2R but thought I would try and keep a new build thread. The only way I'm going to stay on top of it is if I post as things happen so this may take a while but if I wait too long it will never happen!

The Idea:

After having a few reef tanks and always wanting fish that nip corals I decided my next project should be a fish only. I love puffers and have always wanted a Golden Puffer so this tank will be for that. I will use either dead rock or artificial rock and artificial coral to give some color.

The aquarium will be 250cm long X 135cm wide, 15 cm of this being a 250 x 15cm coast to coast overflow, so 120cm display area X 90cm tall. With sump and filtration it will be about 4000 liters, about 1000 gallons.

Burton - Åmland Tank.jpg
We are building a new house so the aquarium will be placed central and built in so that we can see it from 3 sides meaning it will be visible from the kitchen, living room and entrance.
The idea is to have a large gloss black surround to really make the display pop and also keep kids fingers at a distance!

aquarium_250x135x90.jpg aquarium_250x135x90-front.jpg aquarium_250x135x90-side.jpg

In the basement under the aquarium I will have a fish room to keep the sump, filtration equipment and quarantine tank etc.

I welcome any ideas/experience etc through out this thread.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a great build, tagging along.

OP
OP
x_burt

x_burt

Smells like fish...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last of the windows go in this week, so the house is almost fully tight, so now I am starting to get excited about getting this project moving.

I drew this house so that we could see the aquarium from the main parts of the house, so the kitchen, dinning room, living room and when you come in from the front door you walk past it as you enter the living space. You can also see the tank from the decking outside.

aquarium_placement.jpg

As there is a basement under this level the floor has been strengthened to hold 5 ton with 3 steal I beams. The plumbing from the tank will go through the floor and down to the fish room in the basement where all the filtration and quarantine tanks will be.

Metal_beams.jpg

The fish room is partitioned out but is already full of crap! I will try and get some photos as soon as I can.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice layout of the house, very open to very the tank. What kind of decking in that being used for the sub straight of the floor?

OP
OP
x_burt

x_burt

Smells like fish...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice layout of the house, very open to very the tank. What kind of decking in that being used for the sub straight of the floor?

Thanks, I really like open plan and good height. The floor is what we call "Gulvsponplate fukt" its a damp proof chipboard, Normally used in wet rooms like bathrooms but we used it over the whole house.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I really like open plan and good height. The floor is what we call "Gulvsponplate fukt" its a damp proof chipboard, Normally used in wet rooms like bathrooms but we used it over the whole house.
Looked up Gulvsponplate Fukt the product that is going to give really good support better then over here. we use plywood and the sub straight over time makes a squeaking noise when the layer separate though glue failure. Wow learn some new. Thank you

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'm following. Very interesting!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
WOW what a build!

OP
OP
x_burt

x_burt

Smells like fish...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looked up Gulvsponplate Fukt the product that is going to give really good support better then over here. we use plywood and the sub straight over time makes a squeaking noise when the layer separate though glue failure. Wow learn some new. Thank you

No worries, its very good material, it can stand out in the rain for months and be ok. All the joins are also glued so fingers crossed it should hold pretty good.

OP
OP
x_burt

x_burt

Smells like fish...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, it will take some time before it gets wet as I can only move so fast depending on the house build but I'll try and keep the thread updated as best I can

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love puffers. I have a porcupine puffer who is like a puppy. He eats out of my hand! Great idea for this build. It looks fabulous!

Macropora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build. Like how you have the tank the focal point and viewable from different parts of your house. Subscribed!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back