x_burt

x_burt

Smells like fish...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishroom:

OK I have made the house so that I have a room available in the basement for all the filtration. The idea was a small "sump room" that quickly ended up with the room next to it being combined also. It was actually my wifes idea, which I thought was very thoughtful, until she let it slip that it just reassured her that all my "fish stuff" would be out of the way. So I now have enough room for the filtration, quarantine, maybe future breeding projects and a place to hang out and talk fish, my aquatic mancave!

fishroom_plan.jpg
Right now though it has just become a dumping ground to clear all my gear out of the old house we are prepping for sale soon.

fishroom_bare.jpg
I have had a drain put in the floor and I will make it so water changes etc run easily and smoothly. No more carrying water!

Any ideas/tips before we start are very welcome!

coral tarracino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last of the windows go in this week, so the house is almost fully tight, so now I am starting to get excited about getting this project moving.

I drew this house so that we could see the aquarium from the main parts of the house, so the kitchen, dinning room, living room and when you come in from the front door you walk past it as you enter the living space. You can also see the tank from the decking outside.

aquarium_placement.jpg

As there is a basement under this level the floor has been strengthened to hold 5 ton with 3 steal I beams. The plumbing from the tank will go through the floor and down to the fish room in the basement where all the filtration and quarantine tanks will be.

Metal_beams.jpg

The fish room is partitioned out but is already full of crap! I will try and get some photos as soon as I can.
No Tiny House this is Huge!

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome build. if you want some natural color that you don't have to worry about, you could always put in a bunch of different macro algaes. as you can see, there are a lot of colors and it will help maintain your levels in a tank that will likely have a high bioload. the puffers and such may nip at some of it, but most of it will grow as fast as they try to eat it. (not my tank, google image)
macroalgae-tank-2.jpg

SorshaKay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is amazing, your drawings are really helpful! I plan to do the same except here in NC they told me a basement would cost about 40K so I am building the fish room on the first level of the home. I hope you don't mind if I steal some layout ideas, because I have no idea how to set up a fish room.

@Dtackett Those are all algae? Would the same work for a angel and tang based fowler tank or be more rapidly consumed due to more omnivores/vegetarians?

OP
OP
x_burt

x_burt

Smells like fish...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome build. if you want some natural color that you don't have to worry about, you could always put in a bunch of different macro algaes. as you can see, there are a lot of colors and it will help maintain your levels in a tank that will likely have a high bioload. the puffers and such may nip at some of it, but most of it will grow as fast as they try to eat it. (not my tank, google image)
macroalgae-tank-2.jpg

I like a bit of macro algae, have to see how the tank develops, I want this display to be all about the fish.

OP
OP
x_burt

x_burt

Smells like fish...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is amazing, your drawings are really helpful! I plan to do the same except here in NC they told me a basement would cost about 40K so I am building the fish room on the first level of the home. I hope you don't mind if I steal some layout ideas, because I have no idea how to set up a fish room.

@Dtackett Those are all algae? Would the same work for a angel and tang based fowler tank or be more rapidly consumed due to more omnivores/vegetarians?

Feel free to use anything that helps! Have to admit I didnt plan the room this shape originally it just developed into this shape when I took a wall out. I just wanted to make sure I had enough space so that maintenance didn't become labored.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to the build, but more so regarding the actual house (I'm in that business). I guess I'm in the wrong forum for that though...lol. Definitely following along on this one!

SorshaKay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! That is also what I'm worried about, you probably know a lot more than me. I'm afraid I will plan inadequately and then the house is built and it's like....well shoot. I messed up lol I love the idea of a man cave! It's a great way to enjoy your fish and enjoy alone time. Are you going to make the man cave pleasant to the eye (drywall and paint, etc.) or leave the room bare bones? What are you going to do for moisture? Sorry for all the questions lol

OP
OP
x_burt

x_burt

Smells like fish...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! That is also what I'm worried about, you probably know a lot more than me. I'm afraid I will plan inadequately and then the house is built and it's like....well shoot. I messed up lol I love the idea of a man cave! It's a great way to enjoy your fish and enjoy alone time. Are you going to make the man cave pleasant to the eye (drywall and paint, etc.) or leave the room bare bones? What are you going to do for moisture? Sorry for all the questions lol

Honestly this will be a bit of trial and error for me too. I'm sure the room and designs will adapt as time goes on. At least you are planning and thinking, that's a great start.

The room will start off just being functional, I have to prioritise the main part of the house first but once I'm done there then I will spend some time and make this room a nice place to hang out.

We have to have a ventilation system put in the house as part of the building rules here and I will also have dehumidifiers.
No problem with questions.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back