11F150's 180 Gallon Basement build

11f150

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as some local reefers know I had to move this past summer and I decided to break down my last tank. I wanted to start completely over when the time was right to start a new build. This build will probably be slow starting because I have some planning and plumbing to figure out but some hardware is already here.

So the new house has a full basement with a garage door entry to the basement which makes its really nice to get in and out, especially moving a tank in. It also has windows and a door leading out to the backyard. Only part of the basement is completely in the ground due to a slope. At first I wasn't huge on having it in the basement but I thought about it more and heres the best part. My wife wants nothing to do with the basement so that is my area, and its a pretty nice basement.

Short term goals are:

-Getting the plumbing setup (draining water, RODI, utility sink install)
-Getting the tank up and running
-Get the area of the basement where the tank is looking like a comfy area to be in (man cave like)
-FOWLR for a while

Long Term goals:

-Really polishing off an area of the basement
-Full automatic water change setup

Here are my last 2 builds that were in my old house:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/11f150s-reef-savvy-cube-build.105710/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/11f150s-deep-blue-80-shallow-build.186580/

So as of right now I have some equipment in my possession and some on the way. January 7th I am picking up the tank and sump. I'm having a steel stand being made at the moment and is being shipped to my house, should be here within a week.

-ATB 1050a
-2 MP40wQD
-3 Radions
-150 lbs Marco rock

Stay tuned as this ball gets rolling.

y6or6mt.jpg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm jealous - my favorite large tank size!!! :)

I hope you don't mind some suggestions while you're in planning! :) (If you do mind, stop reading now!!!!:eek:)

Flow
Stack one more mp40's (three total) on there for a standard 180 Gallon. At minimum, but that will do it. Across the back of the tank will work best, so that each pump only has to be "responsible" for 24" in front of it. (About the mp40's useful limit.) Giving each one 2.5 feet side-to-side seems to work out, but I don't think you'd be unhappy with four mp40's in there when you get around to running their fancier programs that cycle the pump down/OFF a lot.

If it is a standard 180, and it's not too late, I'd suggest considering Tunze Turbelle® stream 6105's instead. A pair will more than handle a standard 180 and do a better job of it. It's a nice bonus that they aren't expensive (leaving budget to add extra flow if you want), that they can actually, really be hidden, that they don't leave an unsightly motor hanging off the outside of the tank, that they have adequate strength to lift detritus, that they can be configured for wide flow or wider flow, etc. ;) They're pretty nice pumps for $285!

Lighting
I believe you are also at the minimum for lights as well.....that depends somewhat on your tastes and goals though. While it will certainly be enough to grow corals happily, most folks don't seem content with that. "Consensus" says four, or some other supplement (LED strips, T5's, etc) with only three units. Shading and shadows seems to be the primary complaint against three. If you used to run a 180 Gallon with three halides over it, you won't mind – the look is very similar.

If you find yourself, once the tank is running, wanting to "get more spread" by raising the lights higher, you should really be considering an additional fixture or possibly a switch to a different style of light.

Good luck no matter what!!

OP
OP
11f150

11f150

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm jealous - my favorite large tank size!!! :)

I hope you don't mind some suggestions while you're in planning! :) (If you do mind, stop reading now!!!!:eek:)

Flow
Stack one more mp40's (three total) on there for a standard 180 Gallon. At minimum, but that will do it. Across the back of the tank will work best, so that each pump only has to be "responsible" for 24" in front of it. (About the mp40's useful limit.) Giving each one 2.5 feet side-to-side seems to work out, but I don't think you'd be unhappy with four mp40's in there when you get around to running their fancier programs that cycle the pump down/OFF a lot.

If it is a standard 180, and it's not too late, I'd suggest considering Tunze Turbelle[emoji768] stream 6105's instead. A pair will more than handle a standard 180 and do a better job of it. It's a nice bonus that they aren't expensive (leaving budget to add extra flow if you want), that they can actually, really be hidden, that they don't leave an unsightly motor hanging off the outside of the tank, that they have adequate strength to lift detritus, that they can be configured for wide flow or wider flow, etc. ;) They're pretty nice pumps for $285!

Lighting
I believe you are also at the minimum for lights as well.....that depends somewhat on your tastes and goals though. While it will certainly be enough to grow corals happily, most folks don't seem content with that. "Consensus" says four, or some other supplement (LED strips, T5's, etc) with only three units. Shading and shadows seems to be the primary complaint against three. If you used to run a 180 Gallon with three halides over it, you won't mind – the look is very similar.

If you find yourself, once the tank is running, wanting to "get more spread" by raising the lights higher, you should really be considering an additional fixture or possibly a switch to a different style of light.

Good luck no matter what!!

Thanks for the response! Any smart person in this hobby takes advice haha! Yeah pretty much with what I have is very minimal since I'm going FOWLR for a while. Once I decide to go coral I plan on buying a 60" 8 bulb t5 fixture and taking out a few strips of bulbs and fit the radions inside of it. For flow, def more power heads once coral get inside.

I ordered everything needed to install a utility sink so hopefully this weekend I can get most of it done.

I'm going to upload some pictures in the next few days once things get going. If things go right I'll get the tank Saturday.

Here's the utility sink (40" x 24") and hartell pump that will be under it.

IMG_1483583955.100080.jpg

IMG_1483583968.389658.jpg

Thanks!

OP
OP
11f150

11f150

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I suppose to get the tank today but the weather is delaying that until next weekend. But I used today to work on plumbing in my utility sink. I should finish tonight.
IMG_1483830389.764611.jpg
IMG_1483830400.350638.jpg
IMG_1483830411.236398.jpg
IMG_1483830424.128417.jpg
IMG_1483830433.037445.jpg

OP
OP
11f150

11f150

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd use the sink as a frag tank:D

Haha. Guess it's big enough.

Got the skimmer all cleaned up ready to go. ATB 1050a.
IMG_1483895344.804322.jpg

So I decided I'm going to get a Rubbermaid 300 gallon tank and tie it into my 180. I've seen some awesome videos of people setting these up with live rock and fish. I really like the view of them looking down at them. I want to use an acrylic sump for heaters and the skimmer still so I don't clutter the Rubbermaid tank. I'm going to have to figure out how the best way to plumb all of it.

So total water volume will be at 500 gallons.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice but I have a question. Mind you, I have ZERO idea about the support needed. The actual braces in the back seem to be held on with a screw instead of the actual pole being under the top brace to support. It seems if the bolt breaks then it could collapse. Again I have no idea just what stood out to me at first.

OP
OP
11f150

11f150

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, the bolts on the stand are not needed for the support of weight. They are mainly there so the top and bottom platforms don't move horizontally since they sit in a notched part. I can take some better pics to show how it works

Looks nice but I have a question. Mind you, I have ZERO idea about the support needed. The actual braces in the back seem to be held on with a screw instead of the actual pole being under the top brace to support. It seems if the bolt breaks then it could collapse. Again I have no idea just what stood out to me at first.

OP
OP
11f150

11f150

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went and bought a nice piece of 3/4" plywood today. Cut both bottom and top platforms for the stand. Also put the same color paint on the stand. Couple more coats and it will be ready. Picking the tank and sump up on Sunday!
IMG_1484268921.596844.jpg

OP
OP
11f150

11f150

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaned the sump and tank today. Also got a couple things in. Now I'm waiting on the plumbing to get here.
IMG_1484702245.585515.jpg
IMG_1484702256.894648.jpg
IMG_1484702274.146749.jpg
IMG_1484702286.230772.jpg
IMG_1484702298.766264.jpg

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back