125 reseal?

coralosity351

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive been offered a 125 gallon tank with stand and lights for only 125$ only problem is its been in a garage for 6 yrs and will most likely need a reseal. Ive reseal tanks before but nothing that big is it worth the trouble my lfs said hed never trust a resealed tank but ive had a resealed 55 for 4 years with not even a thought of a leak. Should i stray from the offer?

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a lot of work. You need to completely remove the entire inner silicone seal which will probably mean removing the top frame. If it breaks, the tank could be toast since I doubt you could find another. Once removed, you need to seal the entire tank at one time. What does the stand and lights look like? If the lights and stand are garbage then the only thing you are paying for is the tank. A 125 tank that needs to be resealed is almost worthless due to the work involved. He is better off selling it as a small animal/reptile tank. If you are dead-set on doing the work, see if you can get it for free. You are actually doing him a favor by taking it. I would not pay much, if anything for it.

Specfishin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I resealed a 125g w corner overflows. Had to work fast but with prep, knowledge and my second time resealing a large tank it went very easy and looked great. Only thing that I would be cautious about, is the length of time it sat in a possible dry/ hot garage empty. If that tank was located in florida where i'm at, I wouldn't bother. Good luck and if you need pointers on the reseal google and you can always pm you some tips I posted elsewhere as well.

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I resealed a 125g w corner overflows. Had to work fast but with prep, knowledge and my second time resealing a large tank it went very easy and looked great. Only thing that I would be cautious about, is the length of time it sat in a possible dry/ hot garage empty. If that tank was located in florida where i'm at, I wouldn't bother. Good luck and if you need pointers on the reseal google and you can always pm you some tips I posted elsewhere as well.
I'm about to reseal a 90 RR. Have no clue how to approach the corner overflow? Any suggestions? I have new brand new frames for it. Just been awhile since I resealed a tank and that wasn't RR.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take out the overflows and seal them in separately. A tank of that size I would take it completely apart down to glass panes.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • None.

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.7%
Back