150w on 12g nano?

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there.. I wanted to get some input on what you guys think of this fixture?

SunPod HQI Metal Halide Fixtures with Lunar Lights
p_22897_30980P.jpg

I plan on upgrading within the next 2 or 3 months.. I wanted to get better coloration and growth...

- will I have heat issues?
- will it bleached/kill some of my corals?
- any other concerns?

I plan on doing the screen method to acclimate the corals.. I also plan on just having the MH on for 6 or 7 hours...

here's a list of my current corals
- zoas
- Blasto Wellsis
- One huge Pink Yuma (this is prob a concern w/ MH)
- Acan Lords
- Echinos
- few other softies

Thanks
Marvin

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the ambient temp of the room like?

if its about 77 or below, i think you'll do fine with that light. and will work well. what kind of bulb do you plan on putting in it?

how much is it?

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
surfn said:
what is the ambient temp of the room like?

if its about 77 or below, i think you'll do fine with that light. and will work well. what kind of bulb do you plan on putting in it?

how much is it?

temp in the room is about 72-77F... and we got central air so that shouldn't be an issue.. will be going with the 14K...

also thinking about this fixture.. 24w x 4 w/ 2 lunar lights (24" fixture)
p_rd_21106.jpg

which one is better?

btw.. pics are from Dr Fosters and Smith website..

Marvin

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont know about "which one is better"

i personally love the way MH's look. all T5's are still new on the scene, but i'm sure you couldn't go wrong with that either.

for me personally, i guess it would depend on cost issues. and if that were the case, i'd prob go with neither b/c i could make something for cheaper and more reliable :lol:

i dont like open top tanks either. i have a prob with fish thinking they can fly.

so basically, if it were me doing this, i'd buy a 150w MH retro kit, then make a canopy out of wood that i could also install a computer fan if need be. but thats just me.

w/ the MH light, it has those cool moonlights with it, but i guess you wont be at the office late at night when they come on

with the T5 set up, i'm guessing it has two switches, so you can get "oooooos & ahhhhhs" from coworkers by just leaving the actinics on all day, so everyone can wonder what you are doing over there with that blue aurora eminating from your cubicle/office. hehe

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
surfn said:
i dont know about "which one is better"

i personally love the way MH's look. all T5's are still new on the scene, but i'm sure you couldn't go wrong with that either.

for me personally, i guess it would depend on cost issues. and if that were the case, i'd prob go with neither b/c i could make something for cheaper and more reliable :lol:

i dont like open top tanks either. i have a prob with fish thinking they can fly.

so basically, if it were me doing this, i'd buy a 150w MH retro kit, then make a canopy out of wood that i could also install a computer fan if need be. but thats just me.

w/ the MH light, it has those cool moonlights with it, but i guess you wont be at the office late at night when they come on

with the T5 set up, i'm guessing it has two switches, so you can get "oooooos & ahhhhhs" from coworkers by just leaving the actinics on all day, so everyone can wonder what you are doing over there with that blue aurora eminating from your cubicle/office. hehe

thanks...

I'm leaning towards the T-5's right now.. coz I'm just worried about heat issues and bleaching my Yuma...

I'll be doing some homework about t-5's and will be asking people that are currently running them how they like it and how long they've had 'em.. :)

ofcourse, I always love the MH look with all those LED lights also.. cost is really not an issue..

Marvin

Reefwifey

Zoa Black Thumb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya,

I just went through the same decision process on my 18g, between the Sunpod, or the Teklight. If money was no object, I'd probably go with the Teklight. I couldn't justify spending that much on such a small tank though, so I went with the sunpod. Plus, the Sunpod has a 20" which fits my tank perfectly. It comes today, I'll let you know what I think of it.

I went with the 70w. I'm sure Surfn is gonna argue with me here (grin), but I just couldn't see putting 150w over an 18inch deep tank that I have no desire to do SPS in, and want to keep as simple as possible. Simple, meaning I don't want heat problems, evap problems, among other things. Plus, in such a small tank, I don't want to end up where use the space in the top 50% of the tank without roasting the inhabitants.

My husband, who has run much bigger tanks, very much has the 'Tim Allen - More Power!!!' complex with lighting. He can't see why I didn't just do the 150w simply because it was only $20 more. Now he's shaking his head at me cuz I don't want to protein skim. :lol:

Kammy

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefwifey said:
Hiya,

I just went through the same decision process on my 18g, between the Sunpod, or the Teklight. If money was no object, I'd probably go with the Teklight. I couldn't justify spending that much on such a small tank though, so I went with the sunpod. Plus, the Sunpod has a 20" which fits my tank perfectly. It comes today, I'll let you know what I think of it.

I went with the 70w. I'm sure Surfn is gonna argue with me here (grin), but I just couldn't see putting 150w over an 18inch deep tank that I have no desire to do SPS in, and want to keep as simple as possible. Simple, meaning I don't want heat problems, evap problems, among other things. Plus, in such a small tank, I don't want to end up where use the space in the top 50% of the tank without roasting the inhabitants.

My husband, who has run much bigger tanks, very much has the 'Tim Allen - More Power!!!' complex with lighting. He can't see why I didn't just do the 150w simply because it was only $20 more. Now he's shaking his head at me cuz I don't want to protein skim. :lol:

Kammy

that makes perfect sense to me! hehe 70w will do fine on your tank.

the 150w may be a bit overkill, i wouldnt go with anything other than a 20k bulb on a 150w in a tank that small.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back