180 gallon tank sump plumbing and design help

Bml1024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, new to this forum and new to the saltwater side of the aquarium hobby. I just bought my first tank to be made into a saltwater coral reef tank. I went out and purchased a 180 gallon tank. I am completely lost with the plumbing of the sump and what size sump to use. I have a 55 gallon sump that was given to me and also a 40 gallon breeder that was given to me as well. I can't afford to have a flood and that is my nightmare of this entire build. But let's get to the real reason I am posting. I am posting because I have no idea if the 55 gallon is a big enough sump nor do I know how to go about running the plumbing for the sump. Do I need an external pump? How should I have the sump set up? Do I need to change the sump design? Where do I put the plumbing? Is the 55gallon big enough? I am completely lost once I got to the plumbing. I know how to plumb a house but talking fish tank plumbing has me confused. I included some pics to help you out seeing what I have.

IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0559.JPG

IMG_0561.JPG

IMG_0560.JPG

IMG_0564.JPG

zieg9479

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. A 55 is fine. I just bought a 150 + sump from someone and they had had a 55 with a 150 display tank. External vs submersible is up to you, but in your supplied photos, you had the return pump in the correct compartment. So that answers the outlet portion of the plumbing. As for your sump inlet, you would want the plumbing to enter the far side. It goes up and over in the narrow compartment (I think that's narrow to allow for a bubble tower or at least similar in function) then falls through the holes (where filter socks go). I'm assuming the compartment on the other end is for a refugium/dsb/macroalgae/place to isolate aggressive animals.

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I would say first thing you need to figure out is how you're going to get the water to your sump. Is your tank set up with overflow boxes or are you going to have to drill it And do a hang on back type of overflow. I would say 55 gallons is plenty big enough for 180 gallon tank. I have a 40 gallon sump on my 135 and it does just fine. Then you need to decide what you want to run for a return pump from your sump back up to the tank. You can do an internal pump or if your sump has a side port connection you can do an external set up, whichever suits you best. There's tons of information here and I'm sure many others will chime in with a lot more experience than I have.

OP
OP
Bml1024

Bml1024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is pre drilled reef ready. Okay so now that I know the 55 is fine. How do I run the plumbing? I'm lost when it comes to that. I was told I need an external pump from the lfs because the heat from a big internal pump will cause too much heat.

OP
OP
Bml1024

Bml1024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also wher the return pump goes do I have to make it a certain size?

OP
OP
Bml1024

Bml1024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Philadelphia the one lfs doesn't seem to wanna help but instead rather sell me more equipment

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest reading as many tank build threads as you can. See what other folks have done, take notes and learn. Take your time to plan out what you want to do.

bella aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok,if you can't find local help ,
I do service and installation full-time here in Southern California
PM your info
I can send u diagram and other suggestions

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back