OP
litenyaup

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ty-duct...2" tall x 1 1/2" wide. it was $37 for the 6'with cap!! i guess you cant put a price on beautification!!

everyone will understand how/what it is when i get it up....pic does not really explain it unless you know what it is.

Attachments

• mini-DSC_0834.JPG
    mini-DSC_0834.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh yes, hey if it helps clean up the cords then why not use it. My sump looks horrible and I think it is mainly because of all my cords.

OP
OP
litenyaup

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my father in law is coming over tomorrow and we are going to sand down the stand and do the final coat of poly.....then.....tank time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gotta start getting a plumbing list together!

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use velcro strips to keep my wires clean and it does very well. I just velcro them to the back of the pipes and stuff.

OP
OP
litenyaup

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use velcro strips to keep my wires clean and it does very well. I just velcro them to the back of the pipes and stuff.

That's a good idea. Like I said before, this is it no more builds so im going to do it right and the way I want.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good idea. Like I said before, this is it no more builds so im going to do it right and the way I want.

I'm hoping soon that I'll get to have a build thread, haha. You did a great job on yours, and I like that wire management. I use the same stuff, or similar, on my server racks :)

OP
OP
litenyaup

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping soon that I'll get to have a build thread, haha. You did a great job on yours, and I like that wire management. I use the same stuff, or similar, on my server racks :)

prob the same stuff....keeps everything nice and neat!!

so here is what the overflow plumbing will look like and ~ where the manifold will be....thoughts concerns?

Attachments

• mini-DSC_0836.JPG
    mini-DSC_0836.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 194
  • mini-DSC_0835.JPG
    mini-DSC_0835.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 197

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only concern to me would be the use of a ball valve on the drain. If its just to use for changing socks or something, thats ok, but you don't want to try to restrict your flow by restricting the drain. I'm sure you know this, but I've seen it before.

The manifold looks good, I'm going to use that one piece pipe like that when I do my bigger tank.

OP
OP
litenyaup

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i put ball valves on everything....just so it is there. not that I'm going to use it in restricting the flow in this tank, but i have in the past. i was getting the surging in my overflows and was using flexible tubing for my return so i really could not put a ball valve in line and secure it, so one went on the overflow. by controlling the flow of the overflow the surging went away. i think what it was was the pump was under rated for my previous tank and that is what caused the surging. i see what you are saying about restricting the flow of return, but it has solved the problem for me in the past. but now that I'm doing this from scratch there will be ball valves every were and should not need to use the overflow valve. also you have to remember i an very meticulous about keeping my things clean and free of debris, so there should not ever be a backup or flood.

oh and the manifold is soooo sweeeet!! it takes up no room and i will have extra connections so if i need to add something later i can! i would highly recomend this or the others they sell!!! they had fittings i got that i could not get from the local hardware stores. they have everything from manifolds to s/s clamps! EVERYTHING!

Product Listing PVC-Manifolds-Distributors

Last edited:

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, doing a fantastic job on that stand. I built my own stand too, but painted in black to hide my non-carpenter skills, haha.

Built my own cabinet...that was interesting. Didnt turn out too bad, despite not having some of the tools I would have liked (table saw...wood other than the stuff that has been sitting outside under a tarp for 10 years...but it worked out okay.)

Your cabinetry skills surpass mine...the next one I build will be a little bit tighter though, and I wont skimp on the supplies.

Cant wait to see this thing filled up. I think you need at least a 180g if you really want space to work with...just a great tank size, and Im sure yours reflects that.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the sump layout looks great, I too have had the same problem with surging and the ball valve fixed it for me as well.

OP
OP
litenyaup

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Built my own cabinet...that was interesting. Didnt turn out too bad, despite not having some of the tools I would have liked (table saw...wood other than the stuff that has been sitting outside under a tarp for 10 years...but it worked out okay.)

Your cabinetry skills surpass mine...the next one I build will be a little bit tighter though, and I wont skimp on the supplies.

Cant wait to see this thing filled up. I think you need at least a 180g if you really want space to work with...just a great tank size, and Im sure yours reflects that.

the gallonage the tank comes out to is 189, the dims are 67" x 26" x 25" tall. the tank was made to fit the wall that i wanted it to be against. i think i will realy enjoy, as well as the fish, the size of the tank!

i cant all the credit for the woodworking, i had a friend of mine do the trim because he has all the correct tools and bits. i did what i could and learned as we went along.

OP
OP
litenyaup

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so that last coat of stain went on and now all i have to do to the stabd is cut the holes where the bulkhead/plumbing will be coming down from the tank....will wait to get the tank for that. tank will be delivered tues and the hood will be ready wed. here are a couple pics of the hood!

Attachments

• Steve's cabinet18.jpg
    Steve's cabinet18.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 192
  • Steve's cabinet19.jpg
    Steve's cabinet19.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 183
  • Steve's cabinet17.jpg
    Steve's cabinet17.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 300
  • Steve's cabinet16.jpg
    Steve's cabinet16.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
OP
OP
litenyaup

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya tues is the day.....im hoping to cut the hole in the stand for the plumbing and get the tank on the stand in the house by wed or thur. i can put the stain/poly/paint on and while it dries i can be doing the plumbing and electrical crap.

OP
OP
litenyaup

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poss it depends on how easy the stain/poly goes. Plumbing will take me a couple hours. The only thing I have to do to the tank is instal the overflow walls and paint the back of the tank. The lights are going to be just hang and plug in. I would say two weeks tops n I'll have water flowing!

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on! LOL my plumbing took me almost all day, connecting metric bulk heads to standard pipe is not easy...

I may have missed it but what are you using for rock in the tank?

OP
OP
litenyaup

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 75lbs of Marco rock and will be getting more of it (prob another 50lbs) mixed with other base Fiji rock. I have a couple pieces of lr in my frag tank that I know is clean and free of any parasites.

OP
OP
litenyaup

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so here is the tank...thanks to all that helped and a special thanks to a sponsor of ours.....Rick @ West Melbourne Aquatics! he is the one i ordered my tank through and he went to miami and picked it up for me today!

also go the stand in the house and set in place!!! LOOks awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fits sooooo perfect!

the tank, if you didnt know, is star fire (low iron glass) on the front and sides. i was not sure if i wanted to go this route because i didnt think it would make a diff.....well im glad i did, i can tell with the glass being next to each other.

Attachments

• mini-DSC_0847.JPG
    mini-DSC_0847.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 189
  • mini-DSC_0846.JPG
    mini-DSC_0846.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 198
  • mini-DSC_0849.JPG
    mini-DSC_0849.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 220
  • mini-DSC_0840.JPG
    mini-DSC_0840.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 244
  • mini-DSC_0843.JPG
    mini-DSC_0843.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 209

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back