2 part dosing...alk or ca first?

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a 2 part to keep up my alk and ca (and mg.) I wanted to see if it made any difference which one I dose first. I generally wait at least an hour in between dosing the two but wasn't sure if ca or alk should be first, or if it really doesn't matter. Thanks.

RBursek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does not matter, and depending on your tank you may need to dose more of one then the other and your salt mix numbers and water change schedule. I dose Kalk so I only have to dose Alk as a rule with my salt mix and WC schedule. I would wait a bit in time and add to a high flow area.

ddwbeagles

Northern VA Novice Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread resurection, but your question sparked one with me. Currently dosing manually (until BRS get their pumps back in stock), anyway I only wait 5 to 10 minutes between the two. Only once when I may of rushed it a bit did I see any precipitation. So assuming the precitation is a pretty clear visual sign that the two were dosed two close together (both in area and time span) I assume unless 5 to 10 min is OK. Or not?

joecoastie

Go Hokies!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a LiterMeter pump to dose my two part. It does small amounts of each all day and it does not seem to do each at the same time nor does it have an order. I don't know if this helps, but I have had no problems with ph problems and my coral is very happy.
Joe

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed when I first started my reef tank but have since switched to a calcium reactor. When I did dose, I did so in the display tank and right in front of the powerhead. I would dose part 1 then waited a few seconds until it would dissipate and then dose part 2. It was only a matter of seconds between the two. I mixed them up a quite a few times and dosed 2 before 1 and nothing happened. The alk was part 1 and calcium part 2.

Mariner

NARC Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dose within a minute or two if you have good flow. I believe Randy HF recommends dosing alk first. There will usually be a brief white cloud when dosing many alk supplements...means nothing.
HTH,
Mariner

OP
OP
subielover

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input everyone, I generally dose alk first, and usually do get the whitish cloud for a few seconds. Sometimes it looks like it is snowing for a few seconds.

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing B-Ionic daily for 15+ years. I put the Alk part in first, pouring it slowly in a high-flow area. Then I do the same in my other tank. When I return to the first tank to add the Ca component, about a minute has passed. I pour the Ca component in in the same high-flow area, but I just dump it in. No need to go slowly. Total time to dose both tanks with both components is about 3 min. My tanks are 65 and 40 gal. I dose early in the morning and only once a day. I always dose the same amount of each component. When I dose Mg, I always make sure at least 30 min. have passed since dosing B-Ionic. Usually I add Mg in the evening. Have never had a problem.
Gary

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 31.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 59 79.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.4%
Back