2016 is the year!

Bunnee911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought several false perculas about 5 years ago with the intention of breeding them. Well, I didn't get around to it and now, I have the time and am still interested. I purchased books by Wilkerson, Hoff, and Hoff and Snell. Wilkerson's is the easiest to understand, but Hoff has some suggestions too.

In August, everyone went into a Biocube 29 that I had convinced my husband that it would be the only aquarium I would keep. /Snerk. One of my 55g didn't sell and a 33 flatback came home to me. At that time there were 3 ossies left. A female and the other 2.

Shortly after the move, the female and one of the males hid out for about a week in the back of the rocks where I couldn't see them. At the same time, I was perusing the local fish store (50 miles away) and the owner lamented the fact that he could not get or keep clownfish. I saw this as a sign. I need to breed clownfish!

After the pair reappeared, i moved them to the 33g that I had cycled in the mean time. That was mid December. Since then, I have increased the lighting cycle by 15 minutes each week. Today, I flooded them with bbs and tinted the water green with nano. I am feeding them 3x daily with several different foods.

It is my hope that they will settle in and lay by spring.

Any hints, tips, or help is appreciated.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1452110127.524835.jpg

Before the move.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1452110212.378424.jpg

In the BC.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1452110265.625290.jpg

Today 1/6/16

OP
OP
Bunnee911

Bunnee911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have increased the lighting by 15 minutes and decreased salinity from 1.025 to 1.020. Feeding a couple of pellets several times a day.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my advice on clowning around with mating:

1. Have a source for the baby clowns, because if you are successful, you don't have enough friends to give them all away. It sounds like you might be OK with the LFS that's in need.
2. Have an algae culture (rotifer food) and rotifer culture going to be ready to feed the babies when they hatch. Many online sources to assist in getting this going. You can't have babies and then say, "Hey, I need to start a culture." Too late!
3. A keen eye to know when your clowns are spawning, and a calendar to know when to pull the eggs.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Bunnee911

Bunnee911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small rotifer culture going. I have the extra tanks, i have books, i have sw and rodi hoarded. I have every food known to man. What I don't have is a 5 year old pair that is in the mood. Lol.

OP
OP
Bunnee911

Bunnee911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my order from algae barn in today. Used the Christmas coupon and doubled my order of copepods. Put one in the fuge of my reef and placed the other bag in a 2g bucket. Greened the water with RGComplete. Now we wait. We seem to be doing a lot of that.

dieselwagon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you end up with too many fish ill take one off your hands :). good luck. I bred freshwater Jack Dempseys and the result is extremely rewarding.

OP
OP
Bunnee911

Bunnee911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first venture into marine husbandry. So far, I have learned how to revive a crashed rotifer culture, How to absolutely spoil clownfish, and that this endeavor is expensive.

dieselwagon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im about to venture into the copepod world as well. the wife misses my old mandarin( luckly it ate frozen mystids). i want to build up a good food source before buying one. i would love to get my clown a mate and see if i have what it takes to make fish babies!

Angiet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck . I'm on the same boat as you I'm waiting on my good stripe maroons or my commons getting in the mood . I've got clarkis that are breeding but I already raised around 600 of those a few years ago , I had that many I had to give away about 50+ of them .
I've just set up my rotifer culture and some copepods but here in the uk it's hard to get hold of rg complete at the min so I'm using phyto feast ATM

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck . I'm on the same boat as you I'm waiting on my good stripe maroons or my commons getting in the mood . I've got clarkis that are breeding but I already raised around 600 of those a few years ago , I had that many I had to give away about 50+ of them .
I've just set up my rotifer culture and some copepods but here in the uk it's hard to get hold of rg complete at the min so I'm using phyto feast ATM

It's great that you are using our Phyto-Feast blend for your rotifers and copepods (what species are you working with?) Keep in mind that once you start getting clownfish larvae, you will need to switch back to the RGcomplete. Phyto-Feast is a great blend of species of algae, but is very heavy on Nannochloropsis, which lacks DHA. RGcomplete is better blend of algal species which we formulated for culturing rotifers and enriching them. If you get some RGcomplete, you can always make alliquots and then freeze everything in good containers to prevent freezer burn. RGcomplete will hold up in a freezer for a few years, so it makes it nice to have algae available when you need it!

Chad

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTexpensiveBunnee911, post: 2750163, member: 17302"]This is my first venture into marine husbandry. So far, I have learned how to revive a crashed rotifer culture, How to absolutely spoil clownfish, and that this endeavor is expensive.[/QUOTE]
Very expensive

Angiet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's great that you are using our Phyto-Feast blend for your rotifers and copepods (what species are you working with?) Keep in mind that once you start getting clownfish larvae, you will need to switch back to the RGcomplete. Phyto-Feast is a great blend of species of algae, but is very heavy on Nannochloropsis, which lacks DHA. RGcomplete is better blend of algal species which we formulated for culturing rotifers and enriching them. If you get some RGcomplete, you can always make alliquots and then freeze everything in good containers to prevent freezer burn. RGcomplete will hold up in a freezer for a few years, so it makes it nice to have algae available when you need it!

Chad
Thanks it's the l strain rots I have. I managed to get some rg complete so I'm a happy girl now . The clown fry are due to hatch in about 5 days . I've now started 2 cultures going just to be safe as its always good to have a back up . Good to know about the phyto feast . Il just continue using it in my tank and my copepods . Thanks again

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back