22 hour power outage

scobeyra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone
Thought I'd share my experience going through a prolonged power outage, in case it can help anyone in the future.
I live in LA, and a large storm knocked out power at 1:15p yesterday. It came back on at 1130am this morning.
I have 3 tanks; Red Sea reefer 350, IM 30gal long, and a custom 70 gal frag tank.
The frag tank and the Red Sea both have gyre pumps connected to ice cap backup batteries.
The batteries had enough juice to keep surface agitation and flow for the full 22 hours.
IMG_1487454144.244367.jpg

The 30 gallon, I placed two battery powered air stones I had standing by.

IMG_1487454189.031716.jpg

Keeping temp was the biggest challenge. I don't have any battery backup for the heaters. My stove runs on gas so I placed 3 large pots of water on the stove on low heat. Then I filled a dozen plastic bags (4mm thick) meant for frags with water and cooked them till hot. As the tanks got colder I used hotter bags and swirled around a bit.

IMG_1487454447.608710.jpg

Unfortunately it meant that I had to constantly be heating up bags while others floated in the tank. No sleep for 22 hours, but once the power came back on, I had no fish, invert, or coral deaths in 3 tanks.
Before I turned the returns back on, I did water changes from the sumps since I was less vigilant about keeping it warmer. I was floating bags in the sump too though.

1 hour after power came back on:
Red Sea
IMG_1487454718.231675.jpg

IM 30L
IMG_1487454750.657112.jpg

Frag tank
IMG_1487454769.616489.jpg

I'm incredible happy that I had the backup batteries for the gyres and the air stones standing by. That, combined with the hot water bags saved my tanks.
Definitely a challenge I would not like to face again! Next time maybe I buy a geni!

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very happy you made it through so successfully.

OP
OP
scobeyra

scobeyra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Happy I didn't lose anything, but definitely makes me realize that I'm not prepared for a long term outage. Obviously I couldn't stay up for 2-3 days heating up bags on the stove.

I've not seen any longer backup systems for heaters on the market. Does anyone have a backup system that runs heaters and pumps beside a portable generator?

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats, to a hard core reefer. Only a hare core reefer would go that long without sleep.

Dan I

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats man!! Wish I never have to go through that. I got lucky I didn't experience a power outage with this past rain storm down here in California.

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you made it through. Here in Central CA. expecting another big storm tomorrow.

TroutbumNV

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to go 4 days once, in winter, in the mountains.
Wrap the tank in anything warm. Blankets, thermal blankets, heck a few spare jackets.
Instead of using bags of water, bag up old dry rock, a brick, and/or use those toe/handwarmer heat packets for hunting or fishing. They usually last about 6-8 hours.
I had a smaller 30 gallon at the time, but with the chemical packets I could go about 10 hours without having to worry about heat. Ran out of those and started heating old base rock, that was good for 6-8 hours. Takes a bit of experimenting to get the temps just right. This was in addition to blankets wrapped around the tank. I remember my apartment got in to the low 40's. My tank made it though. Had to heat everything up on a gas bbq.

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's just awesome commitment!! I would literally be doing the same thing if I had a power outage.

OP
OP
scobeyra

scobeyra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I actually do have hand warmers but didn't think of bagging those. Great idea. I did use a few but on the outside of the glass wrapped in towels.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the great post and the ideas on how you made a bad into a good.:)

TroutbumNV

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live on the Central Coast of Ca and my power was out for 36 hours. My $300 watt generator from Harbor Freight ran non stop and kept my tank, fridge and internet alive. Best investment ever.
You can find used generators even cheaper on craigslist.
In a pinch, you can also get a inverter for your car, and turn that in to a generator.
Both options arent always available though if youre in an apartment or condo.

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your story. I can't get a generator due to restrictions at our condo but I need to do anything else I can do these ideas are great!

brandolphjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find used generators even cheaper on craigslist.
In a pinch, you can also get a inverter for your car, and turn that in to a generator.
Both options arent always available though if youre in an apartment or condo.
I did the car inverter thing last spring, my truck ran all night to power my tank..I didn't care if it ruin my truck...Truck=$1500,,
Reef=PRICELESS..So the tank lived and the truck I don't have anymore.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back