220 build

chrisryherd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all. At this point I am in the thought proses of this build. Help, comments, ect, are more then welcome.

A little back ground about me.
I have a JBJ Nano. I have be2en running for 2 years. I read all I could for about a year before I started that tank. so this will probably be a long boring build.

here is an ugly sketch I tried to drawl up.

I will have a 90 gallon display, 55 gallon fug, 75 gallon sump.
I will be lighting the main display tank with LEDs and T5.
There is two 2 1/2 in holes in the back of the display tank that I will be using an inky box on with dorso drains.
and that really is all I have planed at this point.

At the return point at the sump I like the idea of having a tower that will catch every thing and then spill over to filter socks or polly fill.
I have not decided on baffles or no baffles.

I have not decided on a skimmer at this point but leaning towards an octopus skimmer.
I have not decided on return pumps, I know I will need a smaller one for the fug.

In regards to the dorso drains is it better to just by them or build them.
pics coming soon. thanks in advance for all your help.
Untitled.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like its going to be awesome keep us posted.

OP
OP
chrisryherd

chrisryherd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking at the RLSS Waveline Controllable DC pumps ( DC 6000 ) for the Return pump. I would also use a Tee of to feed the refugium. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
chrisryherd

chrisryherd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, now for some more bad drawings. Here is some rough sketches of the sump. I would like the inlet to the sump to pour in to a tower and then over flow to a filter sock or Polly filter.

Attachments

• front view.jpg
    front view.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 445
  • side view.jpg
    side view.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 431

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm going to send you some help on this. :)

jesterisdead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you would want to move your skimmer more to the incoming section to allow for your microbubbles and such to settle before hitting your return pump?

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with ^above^ the skimmer should go into first chamber, the reason being is that the overflows from display remove the surface film/proteins from the aquarium and you want this water to be skimmed as quickly as possible/first. This chamber should also have a consistent depth for the skimmer to function best. A return pump in last section and possibly a ATO float switch/valve.

Cheers, Todd

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the latest drawings, I don't see why you need the sump configured like that at all.

Water should drain into the skimmer section. If you want a bubble tower or a filter sock, that's your choice. That's it. The skimmer does what it does best, remove DOCs from the water. Triple baffles come next, and finally a return zone for the return pump, heaters, and if you like, some reactors.

I would make the sump a two zoned sump, with the majority all return zone. That way it can hold the excess water when the power goes out and the two tanks drain into it.

The return pump can definitely feed both tanks simultaneously, using a ball valve on the one feeding the refugium so the rest goes to the display tank.

OP
OP
chrisryherd

chrisryherd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the sugestions. I am glade that some one is able to follow my drawings lol. I liked the idea of the bubble tower more to collect debries, and be able to just vacuum them out. It does make total sense to put the skimmer in the firs chamber. I like the idea of making the sump just two chambers. Back to the drawling board.

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I see it but there are two problems with it. First of all it wastes a ton of space. Second the return zone is much too small.

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your total goal here? Dial it down to its essence.

OP
OP
chrisryherd

chrisryherd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be working with a 75 gallon for the sump. this drawing is not to scale just the direction I would like to go.

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redo it with dimensions so we can help fine tune it. How often do you want to change the socks? Why do you want two? I have a 7" sock under the 400g that lasts several day with three drains going into it.

Small triggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking at the RLSS Waveline Controllable DC pumps ( DC 6000 ) for the Return pump. I would also use a Tee of to feed the refugium. Any thoughts?
I'm running a 150g with the waveline 12000.... You will need something of the 10000 size or larger if you're going to be teeing off of it...just so you have enough pressure going to the tank...

OP
OP
chrisryherd

chrisryherd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a 150g with the waveline 12000.... You will need something of the 10000 size or larger if you're going to be teeing off of it...just so you have enough pressure going to the tank...

thank you for the heads up. I will start looking at he 1000 or up. with the DC pump is there any harm in valving it down if I go to big?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back