220 Gallons of Pure Awesome

eranschau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my 75 gallon reef tank up and running for two years now, but I moved this past August and half the reason I did was so that I could have a place capable of supporting a larger tank.

So it's time. Past time, actually!

First, a bit about me. (Skip to the next paragraph if you could care less. I promise I won't be offended.) I'm 37 and I live and work in Minneapolis as a software engineer. Like most of you, I imagine, I have a garage full of old tanks. I've had various fresh water tanks going all the way back to when I was in elementary school, a couple of bettas, and am currently on my second reef tank. I've wanted to all in on saltwater since I got my very fist tank wet as a kid, but am finally to a time and place in life that I can upgrade to my dream tank.

As I mentioned, I am currently running a 75 gallon reef tank. It's an off-the-shelf Marineland tank and stand on top of a 30 gallon sump built my my LFS. Equipment is as follows:
  • Maxspect Razor 16k LED Lights (x2)
  • Ecotech MP40 Powerhead (x2)
  • Reef Octopus Diablo XS 200 Protein Skimmer
  • BRS GFO & Carbon Reactor - Single
  • Emperor Aquatics Smart UV 25 Watt UV Sterilizer
  • Return Pump (Don't recall the exact model)
  • MarinePure Ceramic Biomedia Plate, 8x8x4
  • Neptune Systems Apex Controller
Let me say that I've been very happy with it; given budget and space considerations I had at the time, it was the right choice...

That being said, I've since moved to a new home with a nice, finished basement and now have the space to build what I really wanted then. I'm really looking to improve on my 75 in a few key areas:
  • Room to keep my favorite fish for longer than one or two years. I bought a juvenile Blue Tang - who then was about the size of a nickel - and she's my baby. I'm spending money to build her a new home before she completely out grows the one she's in.
  • A more well built, nicer looking stand. As I said, I don't regret buying my Marineland tank one bit, but let's face it... Those stands are functional at the expense of being pretty.
  • More room to work inside the stand. I wish I could have a dedicated fish room in which I could park a massive sump/refugium. It's just not feasible given the layout of the finished portions of my basement. As such, I'm looking to improve drastically the space inside the tank's stand so that I can house all of the pertinent equipment underneath and still have room to get in there and work.
After some amount of research, more hours spent watching YouTube videos than I’d care to count, and several lengthy discussions with my LFS, I’ve landed on the following for my new 220 gallon build:
  • 220 Gallon Tank w/ Corner Overflow (Manufacturer TBD)
  • Custom Stand
  • Ecotech MP40 Powerhead (x2)
  • Vertex Alpha 200 Protein Skimmer
  • BRS GFO & Carbon Reactor - Dual
  • Emperor Aquatics Smart UV 40 Watt UV Sterilizer
  • Return Pump (Model TBD)
  • MarinePure Ceramic Biomedia Plate, 8x8x4 (x2)
  • Neptune Systems Apex Controller

Last edited:
OP
OP
eranschau

eranschau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you can get an idea of where I'm starting from, here are a few pictures of my 75 gallon reef tank over the two years it's been up and running.

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tank is looking good!

OP
OP
eranschau

eranschau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the first step to building a new 220 gallon reef tank is a heaping dose of paranoia. I knew I wanted a six foot tank, and to get to 220 gallons, the dimensions needed to be 72" long x 30" deep x 24" tall. As my home is older and not up to current codes where it comes to stairways, I wasn't entirely sure that it would fit down the basement steps. So I built a mock-up. Around $20 in 1/2" PVC, and I was sure. I'm going to need a lot of help, but we should be able to maneuver my new baby down to it's final home!

Just for grins, I set it on top of my existing 75 gallon just to give it a sense of scale. (In the pictures, the tank is set on it's narrow end. I hadn't yet decided to make it 30" deep and 24" tall instead of the other way around.) Oh, and that's my cat. She generally sits around and watches me disapprovingly because I'm doing something other than paying attention to her.

IMG_2750.JPG
IMG_2752.JPG

IMG_2748.JPG
IMG_2749.JPG

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it's going to be a great project. Congrats on the new house and the new project. And by the way, the cat will get over it!

OP
OP
eranschau

eranschau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after a few conversations with the knowledgable gentleman at my favorite saltwater-only LFS, Saltwater Empire, I've landed on a couple of decisions.
  1. The tank will be 72" wide x 30" deep x 24" tall instead of the more common 72" x 24" deep x 30" tall - a common size for Marineland 220s. The reason for this decision is largely to accommodate my favorite tang. I hope she appreciates what I'm doing for her.
  2. The stand will be a matching 72" wide x 30" deep and will be 36" tall. Saltwater Empire recommended 40" tall to make the tank easier to view while standing, and to allow for more room under the tank to work, but I had to make a few accommodations for the height of my basement ceiling.
With those decisions made, I decided to let the computer geek in me out to play, and I mocked up the tank and stand in SketchUp just to see how it would all fit together. After several iterations, here's where I ended up:

Tank (Front).png
Tank (Iso - Left).png
Tank (Iso - Right).png

OP
OP
eranschau

eranschau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it when the FedEx driver brings me big, expensive things! Figured since this is going to be the tank until I marry a doctor and move to a bigger house, I might a well go whole hog. Opted to procure a Synergy Reef SS-44 Sump and matching ATO container. It showed up about twenty minutes ago! [HASHTAG]#NERGDASM[/HASHTAG]

IMG_2923.JPG

IMG_2924.JPG

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back