OP
OP
dstienmann

dstienmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When this comes out thats definitely what im getting that one is pretty cool! maybe 2, wish I could still get in at $200 each

If I was going to ever get a robot glass cleaner I would get a MOAI one. They look awesome and have a camera built in to take close up pics of your tank while it cleans the glass! http://www.moaidevices.com/

They finished their crowd funding campaign a little while ago and should be close to release around now. At $300USD retail they are a bit much for me to justify atm but they seem like they are only a tiny bit more expensive than the other robot cleaner. On a tank where the glass is as hard to clean as yours I would probably be able to justify it :p

Your build is looking awesome BTW. Good work!
Thanks!

OP
OP
dstienmann

dstienmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only got a few things done yesterday,
Installed the Y into the drains that seemed to help alot with the micro bubbles - This issue still needs some love but would probably be fine with some socks but im thinking i may Roller Mat later so the bubbles to be fixed correctly anyways (thinking of switching from the Durso to Herbies or maybe Bean later once I have some other things done But I only have 4x1.5" holes drilled in this tank with overflows on each end so maybe Just one return. What do you guys think?)

Got a little done on the module cabinet need to get a magnet for the board and Finish up some network cable work in there and Should be getting some goodies today!

20161011_221427.jpg

20161011_221418.jpg

20161011_221407.jpg

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only got a few things done yesterday,
Installed the Y into the drains that seemed to help alot with the micro bubbles - This issue still needs some love but would probably be fine with some socks but im thinking i may Roller Mat later so the bubbles to be fixed correctly anyways (thinking of switching from the Durso to Herbies or maybe Bean later once I have some other things done But I only have 4x1.5" holes drilled in this tank with overflows on each end so maybe Just one return. What do you guys think?)

Got a little done on the module cabinet need to get a magnet for the board and Finish up some network cable work in there and Should be getting some goodies today!

20161011_221427.jpg

20161011_221418.jpg

20161011_221407.jpg
Could you please explain your "Y into the drains" comment? Where do you install them? Downstream of the bulkhead fittings? Thanks.

OP
OP
dstienmann

dstienmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, Guess I already need a net for the top! To keep things out, not in! Went home at lunch and found a dead frog floating around in there! probably got in last night didn't look at the tank this morning as theirs no lights on it yet and it was dark this morning when i left.
Heres the top inside the canopy was thinking I wouldn't even need a net with my style of canopy for jumpers What do you think? Maybe I can net off the top on top of the canopy? or do I still need something to keep my fish in, possibly a snow flake el later not sure I want one, my sons been asking

Got some more Toys today also!

20161012_124419.jpg

20161012_124052.jpg

20161012_124006.jpg

20161012_123933.jpg

OP
OP
dstienmann

dstienmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good analogy. Now that I think about it, there is a lot of similarity between my boat and my fish tanks. Hmmmm

Yes another Money Pit! Hopefully once Im setup its not to much to keep it up

Could you please explain your "Y into the drains" comment? Where do you install them? Downstream of the bulkhead fittings? Thanks.
Ill get you a pic tonight, the bubble are still there but I cut it down by probably %75 I feel like they would all be gone once sock are in place, but socks dont change them self like a rollermat :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice job!

OP
OP
dstienmann

dstienmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres the pic of of the Y's still need to work on that.

Got the DOS mounted thats about it not much time yesterday

20161012_234526.jpg

20161012_180344.jpg

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres the pic of of the Y's still need to work on that.

Got the DOS mounted thats about it not much time yesterday

20161012_234526.jpg

20161012_180344.jpg
Sorry to be such a dope but I'm still not clear on exactly where in the system you have the Y and what you are trying to accomplish. I appreciate your patience and I'd be happy to call you if you thought you could make the time. My only "bubble" concern on the new build is probably more to do with reducing noise from the hang on ESHOPP overflow. On another topic, since you mentioned the rollermat, I have also been trying to think of a way to reduce the maintenance of my first stage filtration. I have installed a higher, smaller, 2nd tank slightly above the main sump and my thought was to have a large piece of horizontal sock type material on an egg crate frame. However, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a 2 compartment bed of lava rock now. My current use of sock material requires that I change it out ever 2 days and I'm looking for a much longer run. I'm thinking that I could use the bed of lava rock and simply discard, or re cure, the rock as needed. I'm pretty sure it would last a lot longer than the sock material. With 2 compartments, I could stagger the change out. Any thoughts on that? Thanks again ... Shaun

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to be such a dope but I'm still not clear on exactly where in the system you have the Y and what you are trying to accomplish. I appreciate your patience and I'd be happy to call you if you thought you could make the time. My only "bubble" concern on the new build is probably more to do with reducing noise from the hang on ESHOPP overflow. On another topic, since you mentioned the rollermat, I have also been trying to think of a way to reduce the maintenance of my first stage filtration. I have installed a higher, smaller, 2nd tank slightly above the main sump and my thought was to have a large piece of horizontal sock type material on an egg crate frame. However, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a 2 compartment bed of lava rock now. My current use of sock material requires that I change it out ever 2 days and I'm looking for a much longer run. I'm thinking that I could use the bed of lava rock and simply discard, or re cure, the rock as needed. I'm pretty sure it would last a lot longer than the sock material. With 2 compartments, I could stagger the change out. Any thoughts on that? Thanks again ... Shaun
Here's a pic of the smaller, higher tank in the sump room.

IMG_1128.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is looking great!

OP
OP
dstienmann

dstienmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Y's are coming in to the sump from all the way upstairs the DT they did clear up many of my bubbles but I think I have too much flow or something.... I also have dual Dursos one @ each in of my over flows (plan on changing this to something else later)

Cant really give you much advice on that, This is my first tank still trying to figure all of this out!

OP
OP
dstienmann

dstienmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PH is running high currently @ 8.5 not sure whats going on yet to be honest I havent even checked all my parameters yet. Im running Redsea Coral Pro Salt with 6 Stage RO/DI. Incoming TDS is at 3! yes just 3

So last night i got my skimmer stand built, Calibrated my DOS Dont really have a clue on setting up this apex yet (found out one of my EB8 was bad so getting a RMA setup)

20161013_212658.jpg

20161013_212533.jpg

OP
OP
dstienmann

dstienmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I also Got my Seneye hooked up Had to call and have them send me out a new suction cup as the one was defective.

But I Didn't buy the seneye webserver Saved $140
I have that plugged in to my Server Via USB over Cat5 converters (serving as my longer cable to the media closet) right behind the other door in the sump room
My server is an Unraid and I have some Virtual machines on there which I can map USB ports to the VM So I installed the Seneye on one of them since its always running, nothing else to buy for that works great!

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Y's are coming in to the sump from all the way upstairs the DT they did clear up many of my bubbles but I think I have too much flow or something.... I also have dual Dursos one @ each in of my over flows (plan on changing this to something else later)

Cant really give you much advice on that, This is my first tank still trying to figure all of this out!
Ok, got it now. Here are some of my thoughts:
1. Having a ton of bubbles arriving at the sump from the display is a good thing. Aeration helps disperse ammonia.

2. The downside of bubbles is that evaporation (more bubbles = more evaporation) contributes to humidity and cooling. Depending on your setup and where you live, those may not be negative factors. My main cooling device currently is that I have a fan that comes on automatically in the "splashiest and bubbliest" parts of my return.

3. Bubbles being forced down the return line will also create resistance which will therefore reduce flow ... somewhat. Enough bubbles or air attempting to get back up the line will significantly reduce return flow rate.

4. I think the only real issue therefore is noise. The Durso is the only solution to that I understand (haven't explored others yet) but that doesn't reduce aeration, it only reduces noise but in my case, that's all I'm looking for.

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PH is running high currently @ 8.5 not sure whats going on yet to be honest I havent even checked all my parameters yet. Im running Redsea Coral Pro Salt with 6 Stage RO/DI. Incoming TDS is at 3! yes just 3

So last night i got my skimmer stand built, Calibrated my DOS Dont really have a clue on setting up this apex yet (found out one of my EB8 was bad so getting a RMA setup)

20161013_212658.jpg

20161013_212533.jpg
Love the use of PVC to build stands but gotta ask ... where is the overflow tray for the sump? I had forgotten mine so I removed the sump tanks yesterday; built a small wall around the base; painted the wood; ran a PL400 bead over the cracks and put the tanks back in. I'll drill a hole in the stand; leave the pipe a couple of mm below the surface and plumb it to my drains next.

Back