OP
OP
Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been without a skimmer for 3 weeks. I was scared to check nitrates during this time. I slowly cranked my carbon dosing (vinegar) up from 10ml/day to the 90 ml/day that I am running today. I checked Nitrates today and they went down from 1.75 to 1.25 and phosphates stated at 0.02 during this period.

OP
OP
Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump that feeds the water did not turn on after a power outage. The recirculating pumps burned out. At $160/each i was afraid of reoccurrence. The skimz is a great skimmer. I just want my skimmer out of the sump for easy cleaning and maintenance.

OP
OP
Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have AEFW. I had two Acro die quickly and notice bite marks on two others. I treated with flatworm exit 2x over the last 3 weeks and started dosing flatworm stop daily. Things have seemed to stabilize. Fingers crossed. I don't think this is a true solution but I am hoping it allows me to manage it long term.

I also moved Fathead Anthia (FA), Clown pair, Basslet, and Blenny from QT to DT. My pair of Bimaculatus Anthia immediately went on the attack of the FA. After a couple hours his tail was 1/2 gone, dorsal fin is missing pieces etc. Once he was exhausted I was able to catch. I quickly built an acclimation box and added the FA. I think I'll leave him here for a week or two and give him a chance to heal.

I lost the pair of Flame Wrasse. Admittedly I was not watching them very close in QT. They ate a little but never aggressively in my presence so I tried leaving them alone during feeding.

IMG_0226.JPG
IMG_0219.JPG

Nick James

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have / had red planaria flatworms as well as red bugs. I noticed both seemed to have disappeared with the addition of my leopard wrasse. I've seen no ill effects on any corals and I have about 30+ sps frags, mostly acros.

OP
OP
Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned the hard way these little refrigerators have a coil running on all sides. I originally tried putting the Venturi through the side and punctured the freon line. I destroyed that fridge and found there is not anything to hit in the top. I used the Kenmore 2.4G compact refrigerator you can get from Sears (~$100).

I used the above Venturi injector (http://mazzei.net/venturi_injectors/; ~$28) which has 1/2 thread on the ends. I added 1/2 elbows and passed them through holes I drilled through the top of the refrigerator. On the outside I converted the 1/2 PVC to 1/2 vinyl tubbing.

I did have a couple other small problems. I snapped off one of the ends of the Venturi. I glued it back on with a lot of super glue and luckily it worked.

I drilled a 3rd 1/2 hole on top to pass the DOS through. I choose the DOS (~$400) because the lines are much bigger than standard dosers. In fact, you can use 1/4 push fittings to join them together.

From the Venturi to the DOS I used a 3/8" vinyl tubbing and joined it with the 1/4" DOS tubbing with another push fitting.

Let me know if you have any other questions or need closer pictures.

c99145343682890e11039b199b0979dd.jpg

Nick James

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw another version of this mini fridge idea before. Very cool, and a benefit of having a seperate sump room!

OP
OP
Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It worked well during vacation and it will be good for when I travel for work. I won't use it as a primary feeding method for several reasons. 1) The Venturi valve by nature creates micro-bubbles that get sucked into the return. 2) this food is expensive and difficult to judge the amount of food actually going into the system. 3) lose the human/food association at feeding time. Etc...

Number 1 may be overcome with a shutoff valve / breakout box that opens the line at only feeding time.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back