3 Day Blackout Help

Mike Lemming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!
I've been having a small green hair algae issue (nothing major) but, HATE the look of it. I have tried water changes, GFO, Phosguard, and less feeding with not much effect. I have been thinking about a 3 day complete black out and, I have a couple questions..
1) Do I still feed the fish and/or corals?
2) Do I run my fuge light?
I have heard good things about implementing a blackout ever couple of months and may try this. Thoughts?
I appreciate the help! Thanks in advance!
-Mike

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just completed one of these about 6 weeks ago and it was well worth it.

Here's what I did after doing a ton of research.

Complete blackout - either wrap the tank in a blanket or block out all the windows and what not. You want zero light. Just don't let the blanket completely cover up the stand - you want gas exchange going on in there and it'll be harder if there's no air movement below.

I would turn off the fuge as well....that way you'll kill anything in the water.

No need to feed anything - the tank is going to go to sleep. Fish wont come out and eat etc. Plus, three days isn't the end of the world so there's nothing to worry about there.

Then you want to ramp up the lights slowly after that - like 10% a day until you're back.

OP
OP
Mike Lemming

Mike Lemming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Complete blackout - either wrap the tank in a blanket or block out all the windows and what not. You want zero light. Just don't let the blanket completely cover up the stand - you want gas exchange going on in there and it'll be harder if there's no air movement below.

I would turn off the fuge as well....that way you'll kill anything in the water.

No need to feed anything - the tank is going to go to sleep. Fish wont come out and eat etc. Plus, three days isn't the end of the world so there's nothing to worry about there.

Then you want to ramp up the lights slowly after that - like 10% a day until you're back.

That's awesome to hear! I have heard good things about this doing this! My only draw back is that I can't ramp my T5's so, maybe just slowly bring up the time that they are on? Also, have you heard of anyone doing the bubbling method while doing a black out? Is that a doubly whammy or a waste of time? Thanks for the help man!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1
To this entire statement :)

I've seen reefers push a 5 day too.

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Can you go just actinics on the bulbs? I'd for sure just do that regardless.

If you can't, then I'd say the room lights and/or windows only for a day...then shorter photo period for a couple days. Just something to slowly ease them into it.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you can't, then I'd say the room lights and/or windows only for a day...then shorter photo period for a couple days. Just something to slowly ease them into it.
Do you mean:
ease them in the black out or lights on after the black out?

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was suggesting using just the actinics for when you go lights back on - for a day or so, then ease on the whites.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi guys!
I've been having a small green hair algae issue (nothing major) but, HATE the look of it. I have tried water changes, GFO, Phosguard, and less feeding with not much effect. I have been thinking about a 3 day complete black out and, I have a couple questions..
1) Do I still feed the fish and/or corals?
2) Do I run my fuge light?
I have heard good things about implementing a blackout ever couple of months and may try this. Thoughts?
I appreciate the help! Thanks in advance!
-Mike
Imo i wouldnt do it, just get some herbivores/ hermits ect..and let nature take its course. It happens to everyone, especially if you started with dry rock. Take some tweezers and do some plucking lol. Reason being, you can do some harm with a long enuff blackout especially from your ph dropping, and you just dont know if its going to work/comeback or not.

OP
OP
Mike Lemming

Mike Lemming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yep, I have a 4 bulb, 2 channel fixture. So I can ease the lights back up..

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo i wouldnt do it, just get some herbivores/ hermits ect..and let nature take its course. It happens to everyone, especially if you started with dry rock. Take some tweezers and do some plucking lol. Reason being, you can do some harm with a long enuff blackout especially from your ph dropping, and you just dont know if its going to work/comeback or not.
I agree, A blackout does not fix the bottom line issue.
If OP did start with dry rock and didn't clean and or cure it properly it's going to keep leaching out the goodies.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I agree, A blackout does not fix the bottom line issue.
If OP did start with dry rock and didn't clean and or cure it properly it's going to keep leaching out the goodies.
You know what it is, the ph just drops so so bad, and potentially deadly especially after 2 3 days. Otherwise blackouts arent that bad, if you got something like dino, absolutely outways the risk. But for a little hair algae (mike), leave it be

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what it is, the ph just drops so so bad, and potentially deadly especially after 2 3 days. Otherwise blackouts arent that bad, if you got something like dino, absolutely outways the risk. But for a little hair algae (mike), leave it be

OP said he ran GFO. It needs to "tumble" in it's own reactor to get the full benefit.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I run gfo and carbon in the same reactor and dose kalk in my ato.. I didn't cure my dry rock but the tank is only 5 months old..
Mike your fine, algae drives alot of people crazy, but give it a couple months and your rock will be fine. As long as its not out of hand, imo i wouldnt worry. Its food for your critters

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run gfo and carbon in the same reactor and dose kalk in my ato.. I didn't cure my dry rock but the tank is only 5 months old..
I'd pull the carbon and run just GFOin the reactor until all the po4 is pulled from the rocks. It may take awhile.
Just keep testing and changing it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back