30 g sump layout

mkunk1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't sure how to sketch this out online so I drew it. I have the coralife 125 skimmer which takes up a lot of room and I have read does best with the pump around 3 inches from the water surface.

7YAin6H.jpg

With the limited height to work with, I opted to put the fuge on the far right and will split off the return three ways (1 to fuge, 2 to return for tank).

Anything I should change?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found this simple straight forward flow through design work well for me, I was influenced by the trigger systems sumps. !st section I split the overflows so I could put the skimmer pump in between, saving space for the refugium. Skimmer platform raises skimmer up to optimum level, I keep a 13" water level. 1st and 2nd section separated by flow through acrylic, 2nd section regugium. 2nd and 3rd section separated by a simple over and under 2 piece acrylic baffle with the over baffle at 13", an eggcrate platform for media and two small eggcrate tabs to support a bubble trap sponge. 3rd section return pumps.

30 long in a good size sump, what size tank is it going on.

IMG_20161016_081826.jpg

OP
OP
mkunk1

mkunk1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found this simple straight forward flow through design work well for me, I was influenced by the trigger systems sumps. !st section I split the overflows so I could put the skimmer pump in between, saving space for the refugium. Skimmer platform raises skimmer up to optimum level, I keep a 13" water level. 1st and 2nd section separated by flow through acrylic, 2nd section regugium. 2nd and 3rd section separated by a simple over and under 2 piece acrylic baffle with the over baffle at 13", an eggcrate platform for media and two small eggcrate tabs to support a bubble trap sponge. 3rd section return pumps.

30 long in a good size sump, what size tank is it going on.

IMG_20161016_081826.jpg

I wish I had the space to raise the skimmer up! I am limited with the height inside my stand. With the inside only being around 30 inches tall and the skimmer being a little over 20, there's not much room to raise it up while still allowing room to take the skimmers cup off easily.

My main concern is the height for the return chamber, will there be enough room in there with the baffle at 7.75" high?

It will be on a 40 breeder.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figure your pump just needs to be fully covered, I have an eshopps sump where the water level mark is at about 5.5", I run it a little higher but maybe at about 7".

Back