320 Gallon SPS Build

Fishlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for reminding me I have a purple in there. I push the boundary on how many fish but keeping them well feed keeps the balance.

How you keep down the nutrients with 11 tangs I have 3 in my 90 and it's algae everywhere recently

TriggerThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank still looking good despite speed bumps.
Care to elaborate on what happened? Maybe it will help steer someone away from the same results.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CoralFragZ

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank still looking good despite speed bumps.
Care to elaborate on what happened? Maybe it will help steer someone away from the same results.

I have been battling STN, RTN and lose of fish and clams for a year or so with a major events last summer and early this spring. I believe all issues that I have had point to contaminated SALT. One theory is that the salt had Lead contamination. I switched with 60 gallon water-changes every 3 days for a month and immediately after all issues stopped and the tank is recovering.

Last edited by a moderator:

TriggerThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's crazy. And basically one of my worst fears.
I got a bad batch of salt and it wiped my nano out completely (everything died)
And almost crashed my 100gal. After I did a 30% water change with it on the same day.
Still makes me mad when I think of all the animals I lost, not to mention cash

OP
OP
CoralFragZ

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is Back in Business. Things have healed up nicely and I added some more rock around the edges to stack more corals on. Below I my End of June 2014 update. Getting explosive growth with the new salt.

backinbusiness%20(2).jpg

Stpatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure

Change Filter Socks and empty skimmer multiple times.
Two Water changes 60 Gallons mixture of Reef Crystals and Brightwell Neomarine 50/50
60ML of vinegar per day.
Dose 20ML fuel, 2 tsp oyster feast every day or other day depending on nitrate level > when I run out I am going to quit oyster feast and put mixture of Fuel and vinegar on a dosing pump to automate.
Feed 2 large sheets of Nori for tangs per day
New Spectrum 2 MM pellets 3 X a day with Neptune AFS
Large chunk of PE mysys in the evening per day
Blow off live rock and Sand in places hard to reach with turkey baster when I do Water Changes.
Test Alk, specific gravity and NO3 every other day and make adjustments as needed.
CaRX adjust Effluent based on parameters
Two Part adjust dosing time have it in 6G buckets dose over 100+ml per day
Kalk add 16OZ per week
Wipe led panels and MH bulbs & reflectors once a month.
Clean glass as needed
Soak Vortech Wet Side once every three months or so.
Trim SPS corals weekely to keep them for killing each-other.
.5 cups of Rox .08 carbon in a filter bag every two months or when I notice the tank starting to yellow.

Can I ask why vinegar? Does that work with the bio fuel for carbon dosing? :eek:oh:

OP
OP
CoralFragZ

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask why vinegar? Does that work with the bio fuel for carbon dosing? :eek:oh:

I use Fuel Amino Acids by Aquavrito. Vinegar feeds diversified bacteria and compliments the Bio-pellets IMO. When the Tank Gets too clean, I mix Vinegar, Sodium Nitrate and Aquavritro Fuel and call it TDBEOVIT:wink:. When I dose ORP Drops, Bacteria is Feeding, populating and growing, corals are getting the CNP described by coral science and the skimmer eventually pulls it all out. I do this Once maybe twice a week keeps colors rich and phosphates undetectable.

aminoacidpie.jpg

TriggerThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403892321.646772.jpg

First arrow, what is that, it looks gigantic
Second arrow, is that a Nem back in there!? Just stinging the crap out of everything?

And how do you keep detritus from building up inside all that rock work?

Last edited:
OP
OP
CoralFragZ

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Is a Rainbow Lobo that has been with me for over 5 years. I think it had two heads when i got it. Its about 8" by 6"
2. Yeah it is a Hot Pink nem. It has corals around it but does not sting anything. It splits often and doesn't leave its rock.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403892321.646772.jpg

First arrow, what is that, it looks gigantic
Second arrow, is that a Nem back in there!? Just stinging the crap out of everything?

And how do you keep detritus from building up inside all that rock work?

BrotherReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Fuel Amino Acids by Aquavrito. Vinegar feeds diversified bacteria and compliments the Bio-pellets IMO. When the Tank Gets too clean, I mix Vinegar, Sodium Nitrate and Aquavritro Fuel and call it TDBEOVIT:wink:. When I dose ORP Drops, Bacteria is Feeding, populating and growing, corals are getting the CNP described by coral science and the skimmer eventually pulls it all out. I do this Once maybe twice a week keeps colors rich and phosphates undetectable.

aminoacidpie.jpg
TDBEOVIT? Classic!!!

Stpatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

aminoacidpie.jpg

Great tip. Thank you. I cant wait to put it in to practice.

OP
OP
CoralFragZ

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes just don't over do it with sodium nitrate. I use 1/8 tsp. per dose and calculated that would bring my tank up to 1 ppm which is 300g correcting for the live rock. I was also adding oyster feast but found the solution was enough to feed corals without the oysterfeast.

dragonfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
amazing wow !
can i ask
would you go only led ? without the metals ?
and what kined of led is that that u r using ? and would you recomand that ?
thanks

OP
OP
CoralFragZ

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started the process searching for a new home and sadly the 320 may have to come down soon when I find my home. The tank will be a total liquidation and part out sale. My next tank will be a 60 Gallon Cube to simplify things for a while as I get settled into the new house. None the less here are a few pictures of the tank taken with my Cell Phone.

7292.JPG

7293.JPG

7294.JPG

7295.JPG

7296.JPG

indyjaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What overflow did you go with and how did you setup the drains? I am thinking of ordering a 260 from GLA.

Back