375Gallon tank build, need some opinions

Current107

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to start off with some background. I had a successful 225G Mix reef for 3 years and ended of selling this off as wife and I are building a new house. We are planning a 375gallon peninsula tank in our basement living area. At this time I am on the fence of a 96X36WX25H or 72x48x25. Both tanks are around 375 gallons with a 3,456 Sq inch foot print.

The plans with the tank is to have a mix reef system. I would like to hear opinions on going with the 8 ft version vs the 6ft version and why.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lighting are you planning to use? That might help make the decision based on what area your preferred light covers.

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'd go with the 6 foot, because you'll be setting it up as a peninsula and would want the most viewing area from all 3 sides. I also think the 6 foot will allow you to do more with depth, because of the width!

OP
OP
Current107

Current107

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lighting are you planning to use? That might help make the decision based on what area your preferred light covers.

Great question. I haven't completely selected any yet, but I'm leaning on Ocean Revive LED's with supplemental Bulk Reef Supply Retro fit T5s. I had the ocean revives on my 75G and 225G and did very well for me. I could hook both these up to the Apex .

Personally I'd go with the 6 foot, because you'll be setting it up as a peninsula and would want the most viewing area from all 3 sides. I also think the 6 foot will allow you to do more with depth, because of the width!

I'm sure I follow on the more viewing area regarding the 6ft system.
The total viewing area of the 6ft system would be (76X2)+48=_X25 = 4800 Sq Inches
Total viewing area on 8ft is (96x2)+36=_X25= 5700 Sq inches

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only concern would have been depth of the shorter tank, as too deep and it is hard to work near the bottom of the tank, but it looks like both are the same heights...

Personally, I would go with the shorter, wider tank, as wider gives you more aquascaping options, but both would be beautiful tanks.

Obviously your lighting choice, as well as overall room dimensions, play an important part.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm voting 96" or like Rev said, go the full 10. :D

5-6 of the OR LED's down the middle with a pair of T5's on each side maybe.

Flow gets harder with that length and a peninsula though. You might want some sea swirls along the top or have a strong flow on one end of the tank and keep LPS at the far end.

OP
OP
Current107

Current107

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm voting 96" or like Rev said, go the full 10. :D

5-6 of the OR LED's down the middle with a pair of T5's on each side maybe.

Flow gets harder with that length and a peninsula though. You might want some sea swirls along the top or have a strong flow on one end of the tank and keep LPS at the far end.

I have two Gyre 150s atm. I may of found a way to attach one without a magnet...

Osteoclast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take the viewing room area into consideration before making your choice. Some basement tanks look crammed into the existing space. Shorter length and wider would probably fit more basements but if yours is spacious the longer length might be more estheticly pleasing. Certainly depends on where and how big your fish room is as well.

My tank is too tall for most rooms (and arms!) at 48 inches (96 inch length) but it works because my viewing room is a large library space with high ceilings. Mine is a simple in wall but works very well for the space it is in. I have lots of long tools, scrapers, vacuum tubes, and the like to reach the bottom. But most shy away from tall tanks for practical concerns.

Multiple MP60s and MP40s easily push the water btw in this tank.
Best of luck with your choice.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back