40 Breeder Lighting: SPS Dominant

Eliot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to start an SPS Dominant 40 breeder. Came across a Marineland t5/metal halide fixture with
-one 150w Metal Halide
-four 39w T5s

Is this sufficient for an SPS Dominant reef or should i look elsewhere?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can grow sps with a kessil 160. And its 40watts max. However watts isnt a good measure of light output, lux, lumens, par and pur are.

Im sure youd be fine with a metal halide or just t5s

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ATI 4 bulb fixture on my 40b and have no problem growing SPS. I think you'd be fine with that fixture.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a fine place to start. If there's any question as to the age of the bulbs, replace them all so you're starting fresh. Bulb age counts like crazy, so it's one mystery you don't need to start with.

I would start planning for your LED upgrade now though. If you use all five bulbs and use high-quality emitters (ATI, Radium*, et al) it'll be a lot of power usage AND a lot of cost in bulb replacements. Expensive! Around $140 per year just in bulbs. I did that twice a year when I ran just halides – your mileage may vary.

For perspective, you can build a basic DIY LED fixture using the same design I use for less than $140.

Something to consider. :)

* From looking around, the 150w Radium isn't forsale anynore.....discontinued. Nooooooooooooooo!

OP
OP
Eliot

Eliot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a fine place to start. If there's any question as to the age of the bulbs, replace them all so you're starting fresh. Bulb age counts like crazy, so it's one mystery you don't need to start with.

I would start planning for your LED upgrade now though. If you use all five bulbs and use high-quality emitters (ATI, Radium*, et al) it'll be a lot of power usage AND a lot of cost in bulb replacements. Expensive! Around $140 per year just in bulbs. I did that twice a year when I ran just halides – your mileage may vary.

For perspective, you can build a basic DIY LED fixture using the same design I use for less than $140.

* From looking around, the 150w Radium isn't forsale anynore.....discontinued. Nooooooooooooooo!

I have 1 radions now. Would you be more inclined to add t5s to the radion?

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The 150 Phoenix is a great looking bulb.

OP
OP
Eliot

Eliot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to start an SPS Dominant 40 breeder. Came across a Marineland t5/metal halide fixture with
-one 150w Metal Halide
-four 39w T5s

Is this sufficient for an SPS Dominant reef or should i look elsewhere?

I should let y'all know that I'm running a radion XR30 G3 Pro right now over a 25 lagoon and love it. I am upgrading to the 40 and had the opportunity on this light. Just wanna ensure the best results long term.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have less worries over lighting going that route. I had a Radion over my my 40 gallon and replaced it with a Reefbrite MH/LED fixture.
Best tank investment I made last year.

OP
OP
Eliot

Eliot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have less worries over lighting going that route. I had a Radion over my my 40 gallon and replaced it with a Reefbrite MH/LED fixture.
Best tank investment I made last year.
So you're saying do the mh/t5 fixture or t5/led?

OP
OP
Eliot

Eliot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ATI 4 bulb fixture on my 40b and have no problem growing SPS. I think you'd be fine with that fixture.
Would you get the six bulb fixture if you had the option?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 fixture would be great to use. I use MH because I like to grow out SPS corals. An it worked best the this current tank a IM40 the width of tank would make the t5 hang over the edge of the tank. An this tank is just around until I get a larger one in the next year.:) Didn't want to spend a ton on a fixture. I had already wasted a ton of money going thru kessils and Ecotech's and all the other LED offerings. Wife was not happy with that money flushed down the drain. Because you never get your money back on used lighting.:)

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you get the six bulb fixture if you had the option?

For my 40b I liked the 4bulb gave me room to put Reefbrite strips on both sides. I now have a 70g that is 24" tall and wish I had the 6 bulb fixture for it.

OP
OP
Eliot

Eliot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 fixture would be great to use. I use MH because I like to grow out SPS corals. An it worked best the this current tank a IM40 the width of tank would make the t5 hang over the edge of the tank. An this tank is just around until I get a larger one in the next year.:) Didn't want to spend a ton on a fixture. I had already wasted a ton of money going thru kessils and Ecotech's and all the other LED offerings. Wife was not happy with that money flushed down the drain. Because you never get your money back on used lighting.:)

What are you using over your IM40 right now?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No temp runs 79 degrees. But my wife keeps the house at 70 degrees year round. I run the MH for 8 hours. Then the LED 's a couple hours before and after the Mh turns on.
IMG_0973.JPG

MRodrigues1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need a chiller with just a 150w?
This is always up for debate but doubtful, I have run dual 250w MH on 90 gallon and still used only a heater but i live in NY and my house was always at around 68 degrees... really depends what you keep your house temperature at.

OP
OP
Eliot

Eliot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those with MH, are the results worth the bulb replacement/extra electricity/heat?

MRodrigues1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in the same boat as you so I am curious to hear some answers. I will say this, this topic has been beaten to death and you will always get conflicting answers from people, as there will alwasys be groupies for certain types of lighting, you will always have people say go T5! go MH! go LED! They have all proven themselves to make great systems and all can grow beautiful SPS tanks, no doubt there. really just you preference on the look and finetuning your tank as lighting is just one component of a healthy SPS system.

I am currently building a 150g SPS tank and have a dual 250w reefbrite MH/LED fixture. Always loved the look of T5 so I am also torn whether to sell the MH for an ATI set up.

clownfish chris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those with MH, are the results worth the bulb replacement/extra electricity/heat?
In my opinion no. I however live in Texas with summer temps in the house at 75. I was running three 250watt MH with t5 supplement over 210gallons. I Switched out the MH for Mars Aqua LEDs about three months ago. My growth improved and my power bill dropped $35dollars from the previous year. I am actually seeing better growth now. I think the age of the ballast will be something to consider as I think this is the cause of poor growth.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back