6 line wrasse is a jerk

Acroyear61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 6 line wrasse has turned out to be one of the most aggressive fish I have ever had. Is there a way to clam him down (like a small school of them) or is he just going to have to leave?

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
six line's need to be the last fish put in imo, unless you are adding tangs.

BigBadZoaDaddy

Orange ya gonna Frag it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little JJ for the fishies LOL, if they get JJ they should get THC also! LOL that would mellow him OUT LOL

blackreefaddict.jpg
ER :rolleyes:

Blue_nods.gif

OH I gotta use it!!!!!!! :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 4 together one time too a 75 g with a y tang and a pair of clowns. they killed everything in the tank and turn every rock up side down. I thought i saw a nudi in there reason i added them, and was 10 bucks apiece at my LFS big mistake :violent:

divecj5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing happen with mine...ended up being way too freaking aggressive. I started off with two false percs in my 55 gallon and only had just those two fish in there for about 3 months. I added the six-line and I actually thought the clowns would be aggressive toward him. Everything worked out great for about 2-3 weeks and then whenever I would put food in the tank, he would hide out in the rock and wait for the clowns to swim by. He would dart across the tank and nail one or both of them in the sides until the clowns would just cower in the side. I really just wanted to stick my hand in there and just thump the crap out of my six-line before it was over.

Luckily I was able to catch him on the first try (with some creative techniques) so back to the LFS he went....everyone gets along together now :)

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 6-line is pretty mellow. I've never really seen him show any aggression towards any of my other fish.

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 6-line is pretty mellow. I've never really seen him show any aggression towards any of my other fish.
I have seen a few like that, I went ahead and tore down my system while trying to get the little fast sap suckers out and gave them away

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard this from other people as well......Mine is absolutly mellow and get along great with my clowns and gobies...I would say remove him.....You don't want to have him kill any other fish.....

OP
OP
Acroyear61

Acroyear61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah he has already plucked out an eye of an anthia so I did not want to add anymore fish to the tank until I get him out. So a couple of other questions would he be a good addition to a frag tank (3 blue damsels who can hold their own) and are the flasher or farie wrasses as, or close to being, this aggressive. My main tank is a standard 75 gallon my frag is 30 gallon short cube.

OP
OP
Acroyear61

Acroyear61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and my cd changer is on random so the fish hears a little bijt of everything. From the Dead Milkmen to David Allen Cole he gets an eclectic range of music. so he might be a little more confused then the normal fish. Maybe all he needs is fish therapy!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i never had a problem with my yellow wrasse. coolest fellow ever. since he died, i replaced him with a six line. seemed to be a peaceful dude... still pretty small, till it started bothering the crap out of any fish that was smaller than his size. specifically some of my sand sifting gobies. the wrasse stays, the gobies are being returned for coral credit still...cause i fell in love with the six line. i just love his personality. ;P

jafoca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 6line freak out on me too- he actually killed 3 clownfish!

First one he bullied to death. The second one he caused to jump out. The third one was the second one's mate, and was so depressed he jumped out and committed suicide (after the 6line was removed). I do not recommend them to anyone!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think ezcompany over on nr had one chew on his ora black/white clam... soon sold for 10 bucks, lol. you'd think that's a sign for me to reconsider my sixline's residency in my tank...we'll see how it goes in the long run.

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez i didnt know 6lines were trouble makers, mines just as mellow as can be!

But, dang killing a anthia?! i thought they were pretty territorial themselves......

:)

weimers75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a six-line too and he doesn't hirt a thing! I'm shocked reading all of these horror stories. Mine's a big baby, he still only makes an occassional appearance when I feed. I have two clowns too - I'm glad he leaves them alone:)

Angel

...and your point is?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My six-line got extremely territorial after about a year. He is great with any zoa predators that get past me, but is terror on other tank inhabitants. Let me move just one rock and it is all over it. My yhjf is the only one that has stood its ground so now it doesn't mess with it. My two shrimp, gobie, and nass snails caught it from the six-line but I will still keep it as it has saved me $ in killing zoa predators that got past the dips. Besides, it is very visible all of the time, except when it sleeps in its slimy web.

Carolina Frags

Fragging for a Living
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My six line killed my black and white mated pair of clowns and messed with everything else.So he has been living in my 105 gal sump for about 5 months now.He is in prison for life now.But I guess 1 fish in 105 is not much like prison.LOL

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 84.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back