7 Feet Aquarium stand

Harris3005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for some tips on building a stand for a 7 feet by 2 feet tank?

I've been allowed to order a custom built tank as my xmas present from my girlfriend to fill the back wall of our dining room and I'd like to give building my own stand a go.

Does anyone have any plans for one they have done that they would be happy to share with me?

Am I best to go for a metal frame or will building it all out of wood be ok?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The tank will be take two months so I have plenty of time to prepare!

Thanks!

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing it, getting someone or yourself if you can weld, to do a metal frame would be better than all wood in my opinion.

OP
OP
Harris3005

Harris3005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool, my dads best friend is a welder so he will do it for me. This might be a stupid question but what kind of metal would you use? I'd like to price up the materials but I'm not sure what to look for.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool, my dads best friend is a welder so he will do it for me. This might be a stupid question but what kind of metal would you use? I'd like to price up the materials but I'm not sure what to look for.
I would do it in carbon steel in multiple sections and then have them powder coated for corrosion resistance.

OP
OP
Harris3005

Harris3005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do it in carbon steel in multiple sections and then have them powder coated for corrosion resistance.

Thanks for the advice! I can and have a look at prices for the materials now!

Please could you expand on the multiple sections bit? Do you mean don't just have two long bits of metal going from one end to the other? Apologies for my ignorance on this, I've never done any sort of metal working! Even building Mecano with my son is a struggle for me!!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice! I can and have a look at prices for the materials now!

Please could you expand on the multiple sections bit? Do you mean don't just have two long bits of metal going from one end to the other? Apologies for my ignorance on this, I've never done any sort of metal working! Even building Mecano with my son is a struggle for me!!

I would consider having the stand built into 2 or 3 sections that would sit next to each other. It would be great to build it all in one piece if 1) you can get it in your house this way (it might be larger than your tank) and 2) you have some place that can powder coat something this size. Larger powder coating facilities are becoming more common but I'm not sure what you have available in your area.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back