7 questions you should ask yourself before keeping seahorses!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me qualify that this thread is about the greater species of seahorses and is not applicable to dwarf seahorses.

Before you get your seahorses you should ask yourself some important questions.
1. How many seahorses am I going to keep? This is important because it determines what size tank you should consider. It is now accepted that for most species, 2 seahorses need a minimum of 30 gallons and 15 gallons for every pony added.
2. Will I keep captive bed seahorses or wild caught or something in between? This will determine where you buy your seahorses.
TRUE CAPTIVE BRED seahorses are raised in tanks with synthetic saltwater and trained to eat frozen mysis. They are comfortable in tank conditions because that is all they know. You can acquire CB seahorses from a number of seahorse farms or from a hobbyist that has managed to raise some. In my opinion this is by far the best choice even though they typically cost more.
WILD CAUGHT seahorses were in the ocean and caught just like other wild caught fish. They are accustomed to eating live food and have been exposed to all the parasites and pathogens in the ocean. As a result much care must go into both feeding them and deworming and such to insure their health in aquarium conditions. They are less expensive than captive bred but their long term survival prognosis is much poorer. Also purchasing a WC seahorse puts pressure on an already somewhat endangered specie in the wild.
Lastly 'the something in between' is what most refer to as NET PENNED seahorses. They generally come from Asian countries that have facilities near the ocean where the seahorses are in a penned lagoon and fed frozen mysis or in tanks near the ocean where ocean water is pumped through the system. These seahorses are still exposed to all the parasites and pathogens in the ocean. They often are malnourished and can be prone to many health issues as a result. Both WC and net penned are most often what LFS carry unless a seahorse hobbyist has brought some in that they raised themself.
3. Am I willing to keep a specie specific tank? What I mean is that the tank you are providing is specifically set up to meet the definite needs of the seahorses and there are no compromises to accomodate any other creatures. Seahorses have specific needs regarding temperature and what sort of tankmates and coral they can have with them. I learned the hard way how important this is.
4. Am I willing to meet their water quality needs through oversized equipment and over the top husbandry? For instance their tanks should have a minimum of 10Xs turnover with 15-20 being better, a skimmer that is at least twice the size for the tank and water changes of 25% a week.
5. Do I have a plan for their care when I go away? This is a biggie because seahorses are not like most other marine fish. They have primitive stomachs that neither store food or even efficiently use it. They need to eat a mimimum of twice a day and some eat 3Xs a day to remain healthy. You add to that their need for good water quality and husbandry and pretty soon you realize that the teenager next door is probably not a good choice as a fish sitter. Please don't take this question lightly because it is a very real consideration.
6. Do I have a plan for when they get sick, (and they will get sick) and the necessary supplies to implement it quickly? The quicker you catch an issue with your seahorses health the better its chances are of recovering. You need a QT or hospital tank and medicines already on hand like antibiotics and anti parasitic. It does not hurt to have a script for diamox as well from your vet. Treating a sick seahorse is rigorous because it requires daily water changes. It is emotionally draining as well, but they can get better. However, there may come a time when it is obvious that your beloved pony is not going to recover and you must be prepared to face that. For some of us that means euthanizing them to prevent further suffering and for some that means keeping them as comfortable as possible until the end comes. I can tell you that it is really hard either way.
7. Finally am I willing to do the research necessary to learn what the specific needs are of the seahorses I am keeping? I did a year of research before I ever began to set up a seahorse tank. There are some very good sources out there on seahorses. I highly recommend the free online seahorse training course offered by seahorse.com which is Ocean Rider seahorse farm. You do the course at your own pace, there are no tests, just excellent information on just about every aspect of seahorses and seahorse keeping. Ocean Rider is a seahorse farm so they will strongly encourage you to buy their seahorses but it is not required to take the free online training course. Also seahorse.org has a forum with a lot of long time experienced seahorse keepers who are willing to instruct and educate a new prospective keeper. Here on R2R I am always ready to help a prospective seahorse keeper as well as others, (lionfish lair and seahorse keeper). Reading threads belonging to seahorse keepers offers valuable day to day perspective of keeping seahorses.

These 7 questions can make the difference between experiencing all the joy and charm being a seahorse keeper can be, or experiencing the frustration and heartache of having creatures that wont thrive or worse.

JALIASC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this post. I'd love to get a seahorse tank up and running someday so I'll go check out the course you mention

mhaun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great post! We had a seahorse system in our family and they are the marine equivalent of a newborn child!! Both amazing and intense. They require an incredible amount of care. Like the op said, Unless you have a live in baby sitter or a great friend that doesn't mind stopping by two or three times per day then kiss your vacations good by.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back