75 Gallon Build: Need Some Recommendations

J-West

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone...
I've been reading the Forum for a while, but now I have some questions about my pending 75 gallon build, so I decided to join today, and I'm hoping you guys can help me out.
I have a 75 gallon, undrilled tank I bought during the Petco $1 sale. I want to turn it into a mixed reef with both SPS, LPS and a few fish.

So here are my questions:
1). If I have the tank drilled, should I do a single drain or dual drains ? Single or dual returns ?

2). I don't like the single, tall, corner overflows that come on most of the RR tanks today, as that corner overflow takes up a lot of floor space at the bottom of the tank that could be used for rocks and coral.
SO...What is the best (and least risky) type of Overflow I can get ? I'm a little nervous about adding water weight to the back wall of the tank. Seems like that "could" weaken the glass on the back of the tank and cause it to possibly crack and break. I like what I've read about the "coast-to-coast" overflows, but again, I'm a little worried about compromising the glass on the back of the tank. I don't ever want to come home to 75 gallons of salt water flowing thru my family room.

3). What's the best Sump I can get ? I will be using an "in sump" Reef Octopus Protein Skimmer, and I want a refugium on the sump.
Which brands and types are better for a mixed reef ?

Please post pictures of different options for drilling, drains, returns overflows and sumps - and tell me the PROS and CONS of each option.

Thanks !

USMC4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone...
I've been reading the Forum for a while, but now I have some questions about my pending 75 gallon build, so I decided to join today, and I'm hoping you guys can help me out.
I have a 75 gallon, undrilled tank I bought during the Petco $1 sale. I want to turn it into a mixed reef with both SPS, LPS and a few fish.

So here are my questions:
1). If I have the tank drilled, should I do a single drain or dual drains ? Single or dual returns ?

2). I don't like the single, tall, corner overflows that come on most of the RR tanks today, as that corner overflow takes up a lot of floor space at the bottom of the tank that could be used for rocks and coral.
SO...What is the best (and least risky) type of Overflow I can get ? I'm a little nervous about adding water weight to the back wall of the tank. Seems like that "could" weaken the glass on the back of the tank and cause it to possibly crack and break. I like what I've read about the "coast-to-coast" overflows, but again, I'm a little worried about compromising the glass on the back of the tank. I don't ever want to come home to 75 gallons of salt water flowing thru my family room.

3). What's the best Sump I can get ? I will be using an "in sump" Reef Octopus Protein Skimmer, and I want a refugium on the sump.
Which brands and types are better for a mixed reef ?

Please post pictures of different options for drilling, drains, returns overflows and sumps - and tell me the PROS and CONS of each option.

Thanks !

You need to think about the real estate under your tank as well as the head room under the tank. But if that's not a problem take a look at ghost overflows that can give you some ideas.

Eshopps Eclipse Overflow Box Kit Large by Eshopps https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I5VV57C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_85ZRybQ4EQ5WJ

Eclipse S Overflow Box Small - Eshopps https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0NYI5Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_T7ZRybCZQTRZ0

USMC4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or if you do not want to drill you can get a HOB overflow that self primes.

That's what I did.

KollerCraft TOM RP3 Overflow Box https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002LYTE4Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_M9ZRybDW64RV6

IMG_0659.JPG

USMC4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How safe are these ? Is there any risk of overflowing and flooding with these ?

Not that I know off. They auto level so when the power is out it stops pulling water and the exhaust port has a vent in the back so when the water drops it exposes it so there is no back siphon.

OP
OP
J

J-West

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it has an auto "shut off", and an auto "restart" ? So if I lost power when I wasn't home, this unit would automatically shut off WITHOUT draining and flooding the sump, AND then automatically come back on by itself after power was restored without any human intervention ? If so... that's amazing ! Do all overflows work this way ?

USMC4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it has an auto "shut off", and an auto "restart" ? So if I lost power when I wasn't home, this unit would automatically shut off WITHOUT draining and flooding the sump, AND then automatically come back on by itself after power was restored without any human intervention ? If so... that's amazing ! Do all overflows work this way ?

Yap. That's how my works.

Chris8232

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following just inherited 75g with corner overflow. Was gonna change it to shadow box
Screenshot_20170228-122303.png
IMG9514471_3.jpg
IMG9514491_3.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back