75 vs. 90 Gallon: Tank Size Dilemma

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm trying to decide whether my next tank should be a 75 gallon or a 90 gallon. I've had a 75 gallon before, so I'm very familiar with its dimensions and ease of care. I'm also limited to a 4-foot tank due to the space limitations in my current home. I am interested in the 90 gallon due to the additional water volume those extra 3 or 4 inches in height will give me ...BUT... I'm a little nervous about my ability to maintenance and reach all areas of a 90 gallon due to the additional height. I've heard some Reefers say that those extra 3 or 4 inches make it almost impossible to reach the bottom back half of the tank, so I don't want to end up with a tank that I cannot properly maintain on my own. If I've got to hire someone to come into my home and perform maintenance on my tank, that means that tank is too big for me. And then, what about Lighting ? Do those extra 3 or 4 inches affect PAR and make it harder to get enough light down to the corals on the bottom of a 90 gallon tank ?
SO... I want you guys and gals to help me decide. Give me some convincing arguments one way or the other on which tank I should get. For those of you that have a 90 gallon, tell me how hard or how easy its been for you to maintain your 90 gallon with its 24 inch height. Are you happy with it ? Or do you wish you had gone with the shorter 75 gallon height ? I want to hear all of the PROS and CONS you care to share about either tank. TIA.

Last edited:

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90...wish it was a 75 lol. You can reach the bottom of the 90 when the hoods off

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start by saying I have a 100 gallon. It is 2" wider than the 90, but the same height.
Pros
More water volume
Viewing area increased

Cons
Height of tank of reach for maintenance

I overcome the height by using a step stool. It has worked well for me. However, for my next tank I will strongly be considering a longer tank that is the same width, but with a 21-22" height as I fell that the few inches will make it that much easier for maintenance.

Things I would like more reach for include:
Glass cleaning when the Mag float doesn't get it
Rock movement
Fixing coral when they need to be moved because they were knocked over or need a change in flow or light

I am considering a 54X22x22" as I do not have the room for more in my living room. I think it will solve my issues and I will still get a beautiful display.

I did not mention lighting as my Aquatic Life XS-UV fixtures provide enough light to reach the sand with approximately 100 par

cbutkos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How tall are you? How tall would the stand be? I'm 6' and just the other day reached the bottom of the back of the tank for a rock, the water was almost up to my armpit. My stand is 24" or so, if it was a really tall stand you may need a stool or something but I can't imagine it's something you couldn't work around. The back glass can be cleaned with a magnetic scraper so unless you drop something back there you probably won't have to go that far down anyway.

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a
How tall are you? How tall would the stand be? I'm 6' and just the other day reached the bottom of the back of the tank for a rock, the water was almost up to my armpit. My stand is 24" or so, if it was a really tall stand you may need a stool or something but I can't imagine it's something you couldn't work around. The back glass can be cleaned with a magnetic scraper so unless you drop something back there you probably won't have to go that far down anyway.

I'm about 5'9". And my stand is about 36" tall. Yea... I definitely don't want my arm pits going all the way in the water contaminating the water with deodorant and such.

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use extended tools to get deep places in the back of my 90. Never had an issue, plus I want as little of my body in the tank regardless of the height.

Yea... I'm thinking about things like moving rocks, placing corals, and stuff you can't really use tools for. But I agree... it's best to keep body parts out of the water. There's always a risk of tranferring dirt, oils, and chemicals that could be toxic to your tank inhabitants.

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 24in high tank and still love it when it comes to viewing the tank and letting sps grow tall. I wouldn't say one is better then the other. Just comes down to what is easier for you.

I do however use tongs or step ladders when I need to move stuff on the sand bed lol:D

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a 90g is 30" tall, forget it! I'm closing down my 30" tank as it's a total pain in the butt. It puts me off doing anything in the tank because I have to get the chair out etc..

Anytime a frag is knocked over I sigh and begrudge having to go and save it

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a 90g is 30" tall, forget it! I'm closing down my 30" tank as it's a total pain in the ***. It puts me off doing anything in the tank because I have to get the chair out etc..

Anytime a frag is knocked over I sigh and begrudge having to go and save it

A standard 90 gallon tank is 24" tall. Not quite as tall as 30", but still quite tall.

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a step stool to reach something on the sandbed of my 90, but I don't need to do this often. I built my stand a little taller than a standard stand. I can do everything else without it. My friend had a 30" tall tank & it was too deep. I like the height of the 90, it works for me. You'll probably be fine with either, but if you have a lfs that has them, stop by & see which one you like.

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the 75g. Other than the extra water, I do not like the height of the 90, because of the additional challenges in maintenance or reef construction and maintenance.

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to go by a couple of LFSs today and see if I can compare the two side by side.
Hopefully they will have a 90 gallon at one of these stores that is not being used so that I can try actually reaching into the tank to see how much of an issue it would actually be for me (if at all).

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to go by a couple of LFSs today and see if I can compare the two side by side.
Hopefully they will have a 90 gallon at one of these stores that is not being used so that I can try actually reaching into the tank to see how much of an issue it would actually be for me (if at all).

That's the best idea, have fun.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back