75 vs. 90 Gallon: Tank Size Dilemma

dunc101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deep blue makes a 48"L x 24"D x 16"T 80 gallon rimmed and rimless aquarium. If your LFS sells Deep blue aquariums they can get it for you if they don't have it in stock. I have a rimless version and it's very nice. I personally prefer the depth over height myself and have vowed never to get a tank with more height than depth again (fyi, my original tank was a standard 90). With that said, I'm rather tall (6'3") and never had an issue with the height of the 90 gallon. I always just wished it was deeper.

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A custom manufacturer like:

Customaquariums.com

Or

Glasscages.com

I am sure there are other manufacturers as well.

That sounds expensive ! I'm not sure I can afford to go "custom" as I imagine that just the tank alone would run $2K - $3K which is well outside my budget at this time.

French27

Excitedly New to the Hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds expensive ! I'm not sure I can afford to go "custom" as I imagine that just the tank alone would run $2K - $3K which is well outside my budget at this time.

I hear you. It sounds like deep blue may be an option. It's definitely a dimension I am looking at as well.

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deep blue makes a 48"L x 24"D x 16"T 80 gallon rimmed and rimless aquarium. If your LFS sells Deep blue aquariums they can get it for you if they don't have it in stock. I have a rimless version and it's very nice. I personally prefer the depth over height myself and have vowed never to get a tank with more height than depth again (fyi, my original tank was a standard 90). With that said, I'm rather tall (6'3") and never had an issue with the height of the 90 gallon. I always just wished it was deeper.

One of the LFSs in my area does sell Deep Blue, so I'm going to inquire about this tank size today. Thanks for the info !

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 on a 30" stand, I use a 2 step stepstool and scrapers and grabbers and maintenance is no problem. I went with the 90 for the added height, the same reason I went for the 210 instead of the 180. The added height makes the tanks more visually appealing to me, my 210 is on 36" stand and with tools I'm buried just to my armpit. For a guy 5'9" you should not be concerned with maintenance.

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 on a 30" stand, I use a 2 step stepstool and scrapers and grabbers and maintenance is no problem. I went with the 90 for the added height, the same reason I went for the 210 instead of the 180. The added height makes the tanks more visually appealing to me, my 210 is on 36" stand and with tools I'm buried just to my armpit. For a guy 5'9" you should not be concerned with maintenance.

Thanks for sharing your opinion, and what works for you. Personally, I don't want my "armpits" in my tank, so "yes" ... I am concerned with maintenance. I tested out an empty 90 gallon at a local fish store yesterday, and I could not reach the back of the tank without sticking my armpits well into the tank. For me, that's a show stopper. I will not be getting a standard (48X18X24) 90 gallon. I'd much prefer a shallower deeper 24" tank than a taller 24" tank, so I'll either go with the 21" 75 gallon, or go with a non-standard tank less than 22" tall but 24" deep.

Last edited:

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea... I'm thinking about things like moving rocks, placing corals, and stuff you can't really use tools for. But I agree... it's best to keep body parts out of the water. There's always a risk of tranferring dirt, oils, and chemicals that could be toxic to your tank inhabitants.

I bought a teacher from pet smart hat has a pretty good grasp. Made for planted tanks, by helps. Of course you can't do everything with it, but eases the pain a little.

Jakels5253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how does everyone feel about the width or 18" is it wide enough to add dimension in the rock scape? Or do you wish you had more? Even more open sand room? I currently am running a nuvo40 and 15" does not leave much of any sand room in front of the rock scape unless I were to do a single rock wall. If I am going to upgrade I want to make sure my upgrade is worth it. Should I even consider a tank that is 18 or should I wait for something that is 24"?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how does everyone feel about the width or 18" is it wide enough to add dimension in the rock scape? Or do you wish you had more? Even more open sand room? I currently am running a nuvo40 and 15" does not leave much of any sand room in front of the rock scape unless I were to do a single rock wall. If I am going to upgrade I want to make sure my upgrade is worth it. Should I even consider a tank that is 18 or should I wait for something that is 24"?
I owned a 90 for about 8 years. Now I've owned my 125 for about 8 years. Both are similar height and 18" wide.

My current 125 is a 'reef ready' that I've grown to hate. The 2 overflows on the back stick into the tank, taking up room and causing flow issues. I think I could make 18" work, if the overflow was either really slim or located on the end. My next tank will be at least 24" wide and have the overflow on the side.

75s and 90s are still great medium sized tanks. There is a standard 120 gallon tank that people really like that's 4x2x2.

jtichenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 and don't have any issues with maintenace. I keep my hands out of the tank as much as possible. I use the 24" coralvue gloves when I need to move something that I can't move or get to using the 26" grabbers. maintaining the sand in the back of the tank is easy with the grabbers and the clear tube that I use to clean the sand during water changes.
Don't worry about not being able to touch the bottom of the tank. There are tools you can use. A bigger (24") tank is a beautiful thing!

Jakels5253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I owned a 90 for about 8 years. Now I've owned my 125 for about 8 years. Both are similar height and 18" wide.

My current 125 is a 'reef ready' that I've grown to hate. The 2 overflows on the back stick into the tank, taking up room and causing flow issues. I think I could make 18" work, if the overflow was either really slim or located on the end. My next tank will be at least 24" wide and have the overflow on the side.

75s and 90s are still great medium sized tanks. There is a standard 120 gallon tank that people really like that's 4x2x2.
Thank you. I would love a120 but they are not as readily available as used. And it'll be on the second floor. The weight might be an issue. It is parallel with joist but at the outside wall. So I am weighing options and opinions.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd always go bigger but then you need 3 lights instead of 2 and maybe 3 wave pumps instead of 2. Once you get it established though the maintenance will be similar. Mine is 80g total but I wish I would have gone bigger.

Back