76 Days

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I hit the 76 day fallow period today for another ICH/Velvet problem I had going on. I have some questions. The first is, I'm hesitant to put anything back in, although I guess this is more a statement then a question. I have two QT tanks currently. I did 30 day copper treatments in both after I first took them out. The one tank had the same 4 fish since day 1 (had 5, lost one). The other, I made a mistake and added some new fish a few weeks. I am currently treating both tanks with copper. The one because of the new additions, the second as a just in case. I really want to add the 4 fish back in, but don't know if I should just wait longer or start them back over the weekend. There's a black tang that has seems stressed. He eats and has no signs of anything, but he's been black/grayish (stress colors) for over 6 weeks now. What do you guys think?

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a hard one.....If you accidentally add new fish to a qt'ed set of fish, the clock is supposed to start over....Since you have a black tang ($$) I would really try to resist putting him back in until all the fish have been qt'ed...I know it's hard, but better leave them a bit longer in qt, than starting the 76 days over again. JMO

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a hard one.....If you accidentally add new fish to a qt'ed set of fish, the clock is supposed to start over....Since you have a black tang ($$) I would really try to resist putting him back in until all the fish have been qt'ed...I know it's hard, but better leave them a bit longer in qt, than starting the 76 days over again. JMO

Well, the tank by black tang is in, has no fish added since they first went in there. The other tank had the fish added. Im sure im confusing people. Sorry.

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok....so here is the best thing in the typical qt regimen

dt fallow for 76 days
copper treatment for described time with no additions, no sharing nets, tubes, spoons etc. The fish are good to go back into the tank

Does that make sense?

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok....so here is the best thing in the typical qt regimen

dt fallow for 76 days
copper treatment for described time with no additions, no sharing nets, tubes, spoons etc. The fish are good to go back into the tank

Does that make sense?

I have separate nets, buckets, drip lines and turkey basters for the QT's and DT.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but do you use the same nets etc between the 2 qt tanks you have?....maybe I don't have the idea right....you have 1 dt, and 2 qt's right?

One DT and two QT, yes. A net hasn't gone into either tank since day 1. No need. I hand handle the fish. I restarted the copper about two weeks ago as a "just in case" I cross contaminated.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the tank by black tang is in, has no fish added since they first went in there. The other tank had the fish added. Im sure im confusing people. Sorry.

Sounds like the Tang can go back into the DT so long as NOTHING was cross contaminated (that includes nothing shared between the 2 QT's either). If you shared even a fish net between QT then the clock restarts.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My other issue is, I know I messed up by adding fish to the one QT, but I don't know how much copper these fish can take. I went fishless over the summer because of velvet. I must have cross-contaminated because within a month of the fish being back in, they developed it again. That was only about 8 weeks fallow.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other issue is, I know I messed up by adding fish to the one QT, but I don't know how much copper these fish can take. I went fishless over the summer because of velvet. I must have cross-contaminated because within a month of the fish being back in, they developed it again. That was only about 8 weeks fallow.

Have the new fish (and their QT tank mates) also been treated with Prazipro?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do the new fish have until their 30 days in copper is up? I wouldn't add any of the fish to the DT until after that.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back