A couple questions about angler/frogfish

Nathanael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two questions. First of all, what is the likelihood of transferring them onto frozen/prepared foods? Is it something that's fairly easy or is it usually not very likely? Also, what, in your opinion, is the "easiest" (hardiest, easiest to switch off of live prey, etc.) species?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They weren't any harder than a lot of the other preds with similar eating habits. There were some that were more stubborn than others in my collection, but it was usually not "species specific" but more personality related. I don't know if I actually consider one easier than another.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided not to wean my new angler to frozen food. This is my 1st warty, my last painted angler lived for 2 years on live food. I still haven't found anyone that has kept them longer than that, and around here even though they have become quite popular, for some reason people don't seem to keep them for more than a few months. But this is why I decided not to wean mine, 1st off once they are wean they basically become a fish ornament. I never saw my friend's weaned angler ever move, he was in the same spot every time I went over to his house. He mysteriously died at about 4 months. My anglers eating live food cruises around the tank constantly, still keeping their predator instinct. My new one and my last one takes an evening swim that is very entertaining, using his feet to bounce off the glass and rocks. It's also fascinating to watch the hunt. the enticement with his lure, the hypnotizing with his lure, the slow creep to get into the perfect position. A weaned angler will find a spot and just wait for you to drop food in his mouth, and I have not seen any proof that the nutritional value of feeding frozen lengthens in any way their lifespan in captivity. The same psychological finding that people report about predators at the zoo also apply to the predators in our tanks.

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a lady near me that has a few over 5 years old she has a bunch of dedicated tanks one tank even has about 4 frog fish & painted in it all the same size but housed together since little guys

laga77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided not to wean my new angler to frozen food. This is my 1st warty, my last painted angler lived for 2 years on live food. I still haven't found anyone that has kept them longer than that, and around here even though they have become quite popular, for some reason people don't seem to keep them for more than a few months. But this is why I decided not to wean mine, 1st off once they are wean they basically become a fish ornament. I never saw my friend's weaned angler ever move, he was in the same spot every time I went over to his house. He mysteriously died at about 4 months. My anglers eating live food cruises around the tank constantly, still keeping their predator instinct. My new one and my last one takes an evening swim that is very entertaining, using his feet to bounce off the glass and rocks. It's also fascinating to watch the hunt. the enticement with his lure, the hypnotizing with his lure, the slow creep to get into the perfect position. A weaned angler will find a spot and just wait for you to drop food in his mouth, and I have not seen any proof that the nutritional value of feeding frozen lengthens in any way their lifespan in captivity. The same psychological finding that people report about predators at the zoo also apply to the predators in our tanks.
What live food did you feed them? Ghost shrimp and guppies?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What live food did you feed them? Ghost shrimp and guppies?

Yeah ghosties, guppies, and molly fry. When my painted got super big I fed him full size mollies. I keep a 10g with a sponge filter to gut load and vitamin enhance my feeders. I've bred my own saltwater mollies and have a lfs that I can get fry. My warty is still small enough that a few ghosties, guppies. or molly fry a couple/few times a week is plenty. I find their personality and activity really fascinates when they are eating live.

I have heard of a couple of people keeping them as long as 5 years, but those same people report losing them in just a few months. So there is alot we still don't know.

philfree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had mine for a bit over a year, i have only gotten him to eat silversides two or three times. But for the most part doesnt go for frozen, neither krill nor silver sides. Even tried fresh raw shrimp, nothing. Ive used metal feeding tweezers, as well as one of Renee's feeding sticks suggested on her site, made from rigid airline tubing/fishing wire. He will eat ghost shrimp, freshly killed, and with the tongs in plain sight. Kinda perplexed honestly. Additionally the only time he has eaten silversides was when it was just the tail half, about the size of a LARGE ghost shrimp and i pushed it across the sand around him.

philfree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additionally, i have seen MANY hobbyist keep frogfish for longer than two years. Eating a variety of prepared (not live) saltwater friendly foods.

elfda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if I ever keep these guys. I'm gonna breed feeder mollies.

Hard To Find Feeders will likely carry them. [emoji178]

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand this sentence, could you kindly reword it?

What I am trying to say is that though some people have had good results keeping anglers, that keeping them is still very challenging. That even people that have kept them for say 5 years, also lose some in only a few months. I know some people on the internet brag about how successful they are at keeping some of the most exotic species, I just know what I see with my own eyes. Here in Las Vegas the aquarium culture is very vibrant; and I have seen many many anglers not survive much more than a few months.

Last edited:

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this thread is for frog fish I was under the impression that is just the tank mate

Back