A few pictures of my 400g reef

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nohting beats an accro tips going out of the water!!!
Would open the tank on daily basis and just stare at it :)

OP
OP
melev

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you've said before, but where do you run your levels?

Well.... if I have to be honest I like it somewhere in the 8-11 dKH range. However, last year I had a Calcium Reactor (ph Controller, actually) SNAFU, and the tank shot up to 22 dKH. So over a period of about 2 months, I brought it back to down to 11 and didn't lose my corals. Then it happened again about 3 months ago, so I ditched that controller and went back to my tried and true Milwaukee pH controller. The tank is 9 dKH as of last night. I lost a big Montipora (dinner plate sized) and a 6" section of the blue staghorn turned white about 4 weeks ago.

I'd like to commit to testing alkalinity daily to avoid this happening again, but I also know that I probably won't keep it up longterm. ;)

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to really keep on top of alkalinity these days.

td-reef-surface-2.jpg

How Often do you Check Your Alkalinity?

OP
OP
melev

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done it 6 days in a row so far. :)

7/31
10 dKH (Elos)
400ppm Ca (Elos)
1250ppm Mg (Elos)
.1 ppm PO4 (Salifert)
1.025 sg (Digital Refractometer)
1 ppm No3 (Elos)
8.16 pH (Apex)
79.7 F (Apex)
231 ORP (Apex)

morpheas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to commit to testing alkalinity daily to avoid this happening again, but I also know that I probably won't keep it up longterm. ;)

I was in the same predicament and then I got a Hanna meter that spits out Kh and since then I have done it daily no problems :) It's so easy and fast the only thing that "delays" me is the cleaning of the tube... Measuring daily (if only alkalinity) really helps you stay in tune with your reef...

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's gorgeous thanks for sharing!

blindskater02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous reef! Very impressive. You lucked out with the goby and pistol finding a spot in the corner where they are easily viewed.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great video man!

OP
OP
melev

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same predicament and then I got a Hanna meter that spits out Kh and since then I have done it daily no problems :) It's so easy and fast the only thing that "delays" me is the cleaning of the tube... Measuring daily (if only alkalinity) really helps you stay in tune with your reef...

Got a link or a picture?

morpheas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only difference is that the one I linked gives measurement to dKh where the one @wes_slavens linked gives it in ppm. I guess it depends on what units you're used to measuring.

OP
OP
melev

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expected something else. I knew about the Hanna Checkers. Thanks!

morpheas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have something better in mind? Let me know I'm always on the lookout for cooler stuff haha :)

OP
OP
melev

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have something better in mind? Let me know I'm always on the lookout for cooler stuff haha :)
You originally said: "and then I got a Hanna meter that spits out Kh"

So I was thinking you had something nifty that just does it, sort of like the Stock Market Ticker across the bottom of the screen. :) Now that would be useful.

morpheas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh hah I wish... I know there are some kickstarters that are coming out with measuring parameters like the seneye (disposable slide) but more than ammonia and pH that I think will include alkalinity but I don't know of any commercially and widely available yet...

OP
OP
melev

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh hah I wish... I know there are some kickstarters that are coming out with measuring parameters like the seneye (disposable slide) but more than ammonia and pH that I think will include alkalinity but I don't know of any commercially and widely available yet...
There's a device coming my way in a month or so that will measure alkalinity (as often as desired) and then dose Soda Ash solution as needed to keep it there. It retails just over $1000, but it would automate this one particular element perfectly. I'm looking forward to sharing that on my Youtube channel.

And a friend of mine also is currently testing a similar method that he's going to reveal at MACNA in September.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a device coming my way in a month or so that will measure alkalinity (as often as desired) and then dose Soda Ash solution as needed to keep it there. I'm looking forward to sharing that on my Youtube channel.

I am following the evolution of this KH guardian for some time now.
The tanks that run on it are fabulous.
Will be very interesting to see how it performs on your tank.
Really beautiful, Marc.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back