A new salt test

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth.,or I should say for anyone that is interested there was a salt test done in the UK.
  • pdf.gif
    Salt test 2 .. pdf (347.2 KB, 44x gelezen)
  • pdf.gif
    Salt test 1 .. pdf (267.6 KB, 42x gelezen)

Checkitout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you couldnt read that? To me it's plain as can be. zaterdag 26 Juni het 4e Nederlandse Marineaquarium Evenement in Spijk,
opgave is nog mogelijk. :hammer:

ddwbeagles

Northern VA Novice Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, what is our alternative? I don't doubt their results though. What a shame as I have no plans on making my own, although I know some do. I'm rambling now, but no different from the cheap (often Chinesse) auto parts that are all too common. Great price but buy it and consider up front.... it's disposible. Most of us have a considerable investment in our lifestock and are willing to pay for a high quality, consistent salt. Since I can't read it, do they at least rank them from poor to best. Were there any recommendations?

EDIT: Just saw the other thread REV and SPSToner sponsered. Very interesting reference and great/insighful comments SPStoner. Good read for those who haven't seen it yet. In fact, that data will really help me decide which salt would most benefit my tank and minimize what or how much I dose.

Last edited:

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget that there could be different manufacturing plants for Eu and the states. Same name, just different numbers ;)

SPStoner

Cavs Fan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget that there could be different manufacturing plants for Eu and the states. Same name, just different numbers ;)

Give that man a cigar!!

I can't speak for all brands, but know that IO and RC are completely different in Europe, in fact, no longer even the same owner. They essentially have licensed the brands over there.

mr_X

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gary, the owner of "GETTANKEDAQUARIUMS.com" stopped by my house yesterday morning and spent a couple hours here discussing salts and supplements. he had some pretty good points. i'm not a chemist, but he did leave me with 4 cases of salt and additives for me, and to hand out when people come over to buy corals.
he was so sure that my system would improve from using his products, that he was willing to give it away for free.
this is more than i can say for any other salt company.

among the stated benefits, one major one was the fact that his salt is always consistent. i had to agree with him that when you use a can of salt from any company, it looks a little different at the top than it does at the bottom. it settles during shipping.
with this salt you add the calcium after the fact. you add it to the salted water shortly before your wc.

he believes it's like crack...all he's gotta do is get you to try it and you'll be hooked. :tongue:

i'll let you know after a few changes if i love it or hate it.

SPStoner

Cavs Fan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gary, the owner of "GETTANKEDAQUARIUMS.com" stopped by my house yesterday morning and spent a couple hours here discussing salts and supplements. he had some pretty good points. i'm not a chemist, but he did leave me with 4 cases of salt and additives for me, and to hand out when people come over to buy corals.
he was so sure that my system would improve from using his products, that he was willing to give it away for free.
this is more than i can say for any other salt company.

No offense, but that is just smart business. I would fully expect the owner of a company trying to gain market share to, first, exude confidence that his product is the best, and second, to give it away for free to get people using and talking about it. i would do the same if I were starting to sell salt.
The idea of shipping the calcium, or other components separately, is not new. Several companies have tried this approach in the past, and present.

That being said, let us know what you find, and if possible, run some tests on the stuff. :smile:

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
old debate~~ I have used sooo many different salts, and see no real difference, corals always look fine, and i always have to dose somthing within a couple days no matter which i use.

SPStoner

Cavs Fan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
old debate~~ I have used sooo many different salts, and see no real difference, corals always look fine, and i always have to dose somthing within a couple days no matter which i use.

Excellent point, and ties in nicely to the other thread about stability. I see so many people that switch salt brands frequently in search of "the perfect salt". I always advise people to pick one and stick to it. You are going to be adding things regardless, and the instability that comes with frequently switching brands is far more stressful to your tanks inhabitants than any perceived shortcoming in the salt, which you will be compensating for regardless. The only case, in my opinion, where it would matter is if you had no calcium reactor, did not use 2 part, or any other additives or additions, but only did water changes.

mr_X

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i actually advise people to use whatever is available. my theory is that what one salt lacks, the other makes up for. i've been doing this for years with no ill effects. i rarely buy the same bucket twice in a row, and i go through about a bucket a month.

*first water change has been done with get tanked- no visible difference.

Back