OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH is a product of alkalinity and atmospheric CO2.

The only way to get a jacked up pH like that is to eliminate a lot of CO2 from the water (hard to do over any length of time) or use a completely inappropriate buffer...which is difficult to imagine a manufacturer doing.

At most, if somehow your RODI water were seriously depleted in CO2 (difficult to impossible) you might have an elevated pH while CO2 from the air dissolves into the water....which shouldn't take too long during mixing.

-Matt

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397235846.818594.jpg
Water Change #36 lol

TwistedTiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had the time to do a water change every day. Other than having fresh ocean water right outside your door that's your best scenario.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had the time to do a water change every day. Other than having fresh ocean water right outside your door that's your best scenario.

The idea is actualy that it takes so little time that I've actually been able to do a lot of water changes.

About ten minutes from setup to cleanup.

But you have to do what works for you! :)

-Matt

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you dose more trace elements and amino acids during each water change? Also, Strontium and Vitamins?

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you dose more trace elements and amino acids during each water change? Also, Strontium and Vitamins?

Those are all in the salt mix, so yes...but no "extra" dosing of anything besides two part+Mg.

-Matt

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so when you do a water change you manually dose two -part before you add it into the tank?

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But you dont add extra Vitamins and Supplements right?

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vitamins and supplements are contained in the salt so no need to dose those bc he is doing water changes daily. Alkalinity and calcium (aka 2 part) is typically dosed everyday at different times in small amounts using a doser or drip container (e.g. Alk dripped during the day and calcium dripped during the night)

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might sound like a noob question but do any of u put 2 part in the salt mix before you put it in the tank? just to get the parameters to match the water in the tank? make sense?

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to add some alk to my saltwater due to that brand of salt having a lower alk than I wanted but found it easier to just dose the whole system with a doser instead. Since then I've changed to a different salt mix that has parameters that I aim for

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You're officially crazy! HA! In a good way. :)

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much of an impact will it be on my corals to jump from, Alk 8-9dkh and Calcium 440-460, 12 hours After a water change?

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much of an impact will it be on my corals to jump from, Alk 8-9dkh and Calcium 440-460, 12 hours After a water change?

As long as you make the changes slowly by dripping, assure you see no precipitation where the alk drips (try making smaller, less-frequent drips; diluting your dosing solution; using Recipe 2), and have excellent flow in the display and where the dripping happens, you should have no issues.

-Matt

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the tank is on a great roll now that I have the dosing levels down pat. I really don't have the bioload to necessitate 20% weekly changes (three tiny Barnacle Blennies in a 100 gallon system)...with dosing now taking good care of mineral levels, I'm going to start doing less water changes. (Kinda the de facto policy already.)

So instead of 5 water changes per week I'm going to shoot for 2+ water changes a week...5 gallons each.

If I don't see any negative feedback, I may switch to doing less that 5 gallons per water change....3 gallon water changes (or less) practically weigh nothing! :)

-Matt

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 67 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back