Absolute newb

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that seemed to be a very quick cycle? also, I wanted to mention - you used hard tap water?? Have you thought out about using RO/DI water - it will save you from many headaches with algae down the road.....I was going to say that it was a good time to switch out your water before your cycle completed but now that you've added livestock that may be more complicated to do.

OP
OP
BigMike81

BigMike81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the kind words. What should I do about some green algae that has started on my live rock?

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done your first water change? A pic of the algae would help us direct you to the best algae Eater to keep it in check as well.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you want to use RO/DI water or distilled water to help keep algae in check in the long run. In a new tank, it's common for various algae's to come and go - adding some clean up crew will usually help keep it in check. Definitely improve your water source as a priority.

OP
OP
BigMike81

BigMike81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that seemed to be a very quick cycle? also, I wanted to mention - you used hard tap water?? Have you thought out about using RO/DI water - it will save you from many headaches with algae down the road.....I was going to say that it was a good time to switch out your water before your cycle completed but now that you've added livestock that may be more complicated to do.
Yes it was a quick cycle, i can't believe it. My wife is jealous because her cycle took like 3mo. We are planning on getting an RO/DI system installed, we called Culligan this morning and they will be here on Thursday.

Last edited:

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will help. Just be careful and slowly add cuc members. You don't want to spike ammonia or starve anyone.

OP
OP
BigMike81

BigMike81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics of the algae.
IMG_6984.jpg
IMG_6985.jpg

OP
OP
BigMike81

BigMike81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very happy to report that I am installing an RO system tomorrow and am very excited about it. My fish are going to love it.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yay Mike! so good to hear! that algae looks to be kind of "fluffy" for lack of a better word. It looks like it can be blown off with a turkey baster and then collect as much as you can when you do your water change. You want to blow off detritrus in your system as a regular practice. As sated before, you're going to see various algaes spring up as part of the tank maturing. I would include some snails in your clean up crew too. You don't want to get too many to start since you won't have a ton of food for them to eat.

That is really cool that your wife is into the hobby also!

OP
OP
BigMike81

BigMike81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yay Mike! so good to hear! that algae looks to be kind of "fluffy" for lack of a better word. It looks like it can be blown off with a turkey baster and then collect as much as you can when you do your water change. You want to blow off detritrus in your system as a regular practice. As sated before, you're going to see various algaes spring up as part of the tank maturing. I would include some snails in your clean up crew too. You don't want to get too many to start since you won't have a ton of food for them to eat.

That is really cool that your wife is into the hobby also!
Thank you for the comment. I'll be checking into some snails and thanks for helping me understand that this is part of a normal cycle for a new tank. How long will I battle these conditions?

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went through your whole build thread! Everything seems to be going great! And you have received great advice as well! Following along

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as far as the new tank conditions, it is really variable as you've already found with the various times of how long cycling takes. I would say in all honesty a good amount of maturing occurs at about 6 months but full maturing can last as long as a year or even more. I think the algae nasties usually takes about 3-4 months. Stuff after that will be the normal algae/cyano stuff that happens if nutrients rise.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as far as the new tank conditions, it is really variable as you've already found with the various times of how long cycling takes. I would say in all honesty a good amount of maturing occurs at about 6 months but full maturing can last as long as a year or even more. I think the algae nasties usually takes about 3-4 months. Stuff after that will be the normal algae/cyano stuff that happens if nutrients rise.

+1 to that

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to that as well.

Just do research and ask questions before purchasing new livestock. Some species need a mature stable system to thrive. Ask ask ask! Lol

Let's see some more pics if you don't mind!! Lol

Gabriel

OP
OP
BigMike81

BigMike81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I am planning on doing my first water change today and use my RO system for the first time on it. I am also thinking of getting some pajama cardinals. is that too much too soon or would they be a good next step in my tank.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back