Acans shrinking and exposing skeleton

Mike628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recently my acans have started to shrink, then the skeleton gets exposed, and they end up dead...I dont know whats going on...please help me! Ive attached a photo to show whats going on (sorry for the bad pic). My parameters are the following:

Calcium - 440
Dkh - a bit under 8
pH - 8.0
Nitrate - 0
Phosphate - 0
Salinity - 1.027
1483509689605.jpg

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! I'm having a similar issue. My salinity got up to 1.028 but maybe it's just a coincidence. I've since lowered it back to 1.026 so we'll see if that helps.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 Nitrate and 0 phosphate could be the culprit. My friend who's house contains a wicked amount of CO2 also had acans disappear exactly like that.

What are you doing for nutrient management? Do you run a refugium with a reverse lighting schedule?

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is not too high, I run mine at 1.026/7 and everything is fine, others run higher than that, reefs where a lot of our coral comes from is 1.028. As I'm always saying don't chase someone else's numbers, just make sure yours are stable. If you aren't feeding your acans that's more than likely the problem, they originally come from very turbid waters and do better when fed often.

OP
OP
Mike628

Mike628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 Nitrate and 0 phosphate could be the culprit. My friend who's house contains a wicked amount of CO2 also had acans disappear exactly like that.

What are you doing for nutrient management? Do you run a refugium with a reverse lighting schedule?
I have a 29 gallon biocube with no top on it. I do not run anything for nutrient management

OP
OP
Mike628

Mike628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 29 gallons, I run like a 50/50 percent white/blue mix, and my light is about 6 inches from the surface of the water

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think lighting is the issue, those usually manifest themselves fairly quickly. If you're just barely having issues it's something different, one of your parameters swung too quickly, something you haven't seen yet. You said your salinity is 1.027sg and that's fine but has it been there for some time? Now for temperature, has that been stable too? If you're having issues with other corals that could be swinging, being winter now where I am we aren't used to checking heaters now and we don't see for a few days that it's too cold.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine do that when the phos / nitrates are too low. They like the water a little dirtier.

Salinity is not too high, I run mine at 1.026/7 and everything is fine, others run higher than that, reefs where a lot of our coral comes from is 1.028. As I'm always saying don't chase someone else's numbers, just make sure yours are stable. If you aren't feeding your acans that's more than likely the problem, they originally come from very turbid waters and do better when fed often.

Also I've been having some trouble with my hammers. They haven't been opening as much and I dont know why...

Can also be too little of light. What percentage spectrum are you running? What size is your tank? How high is the light off the water?
Id say we might even add all three of these.

OP
OP
Mike628

Mike628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think lighting is the issue, those usually manifest themselves fairly quickly. If you're just barely having issues it's something different, one of your parameters swung too quickly, something you haven't seen yet. You said your salinity is 1.027sg and that's fine but has it been there for some time? Now for temperature, has that been stable too? If you're having issues with other corals that could be swinging, being winter now where I am we aren't used to checking heaters now and we don't see for a few days that it's too cold.
The temperature swings a bit. Many degrees up or down between day and night. I never thought of that...

reefguyty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ran into a similar issue. I think mine started receding when I stopped target feeding them and lowered the overall nutrients in the tank. I started target feeding them again and it looks like they are all improving.

I've had the same amount of light when they were thriving and receding. I've been running t5's 7 hours a day.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back