OP
OP
Mike628

Mike628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try every other and see what happens. I've read that they can let food rot inside if overfeed.
Okay gotcha! I'll post some tank shots tomorrow when everything seems to be open mostly and all my fish are active

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay gotcha! I'll post some tank shots tomorrow when everything seems to be open mostly and all my fish are active

had this issue with lps in general two years ago and it was from Zero nutrients in the water, Nitrate and phosphate.
reduced water change schedule from 15 gallons a week to every other week and started dosing some amino acids to help the corals rebound.

now with a larger system I had the same issue with a fallow period zero nitrates so my sps and lps started to suffer some.
Acans were the first lps to decline.
started to increase feeding for the corals and cut the skimmer off for a month with no rise in nutrients due to system size and maturity of massive live rock.
Dosed potassium nitrate into the tank and raised my nitrate levels to 3 ppm. Within three hours the acans that were deflated skin tight started to puff up again.

your light intensity may be slightly low but i would concentrate on getting your nitrates up to 2 to 5 ppm and phosphates around 0.03 to 0.05
good luck and happy reefing
BluewaterLa / Mike

OP
OP
Mike628

Mike628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had this issue with lps in general two years ago and it was from Zero nutrients in the water, Nitrate and phosphate.
reduced water change schedule from 15 gallons a week to every other week and started dosing some amino acids to help the corals rebound.

now with a larger system I had the same issue with a fallow period zero nitrates so my sps and lps started to suffer some.
Acans were the first lps to decline.
started to increase feeding for the corals and cut the skimmer off for a month with no rise in nutrients due to system size and maturity of massive live rock.
Dosed potassium nitrate into the tank and raised my nitrate levels to 3 ppm. Within three hours the acans that were deflated skin tight started to puff up again.

your light intensity may be slightly low but i would concentrate on getting your nitrates up to 2 to 5 ppm and phosphates around 0.03 to 0.05
good luck and happy reefing
BluewaterLa / Mike
By feeding more, wont this help raise nitrates?

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding more will help the nitrates and phosphates come up.

Something to remember about corals, they need food in several forms. The animal itself requires planktonic organism to prey on, in order to have the proper building blocks to physically grow it's body. It also requires light for the symbiotic algae, who require food. Their food is NO3 and PO4. (There doesn't have to be much, but there has to be some). If you don't fullfill all of those requirements your corals will slowly decline (in a low light environment) or really bad things happen really quickly too them in a high light environment.

So go slow like Elementalj has outlined and increase your light incrementally, feed more, and let your NO3 and PO4 rise to detectable levels. Let your tank find a balance.

OP
OP
Mike628

Mike628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok yall so I fed the corals the other day when I said I did and some are still shrunken. Im assuming they are digesting the food?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok yall so I fed the corals the other day when I said I did and some are still shrunken. Im assuming they are digesting the food?
Gotta get the Phos and nitrates up too.

Back