Accidents are inevitable...

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had just finished cleaning out a used 55gal sump I had purchased for my system. I had it out in front of the garage to dry when I went to work. When I got home, I backed into it and slid it into the side of the house. oops. :oops:

Not only did it crack the tank resulting in my having to build a new custom sump, but it put a dent in the bumper of my truck. :confused:

CarrieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had just finished cleaning out a used 55gal sump I had purchased for my system. I had it out in front of the garage to dry when I went to work. When I got home, I backed into it and slid it into the side of the house. oops. :oops:

Not only did it crack the tank resulting in my having to build a new custom sump, but it put a dent in the bumper of my truck. :confused:

Ouch!

OP
OP
alten78

alten78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've broken more than one MH pendant, besides the one not being fully screwed into the hanging kit. Several years I was moving a clam from one side of the tank to the other. Not thinking, I took it out of the tank in order to go over the eurobracing for a second...yeah, it squirt water directly at the hot glass *pop!* :facepalm:

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had a HOB skimmer and it overflowed several times while i was out of the apartment drenching the floor. never again hob sux.
When i was researching before i bought my reef equipment, i didn't buy an HOB because of that reason!!. ..but i am also fortunate enough to have an experienced reefer buddy to give me crucial advice [emoji16]

aaron23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i was researching before i bought my reef equipment, i didn't buy an HOB because of that reason!!. ..but i am also fortunate enough to have an experienced reefer buddy to give me crucial advice [emoji16]
Well I'm fairly experienced lol I needed a way to remove nutrients in a 40 Nuvo and thought it's better than nothing

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow yes we have all had those bad day, the worst one for me was my wife and I were watching TV and we had a 55 gallon tank right next to us and it blew the seam on the bottom no indication it was going to do this just blew, water hit the ceiling lol

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've woken up to "BABE YOU LEFT THE WATER RUNNING AGAIN!" and having a few gallons of water spread out across the floor too many times.
HaHa!!! The exact same words! I hated to hear that. Usually in the area of a gallon to as many as 15. Happened way too often until I got a shutoff sensor. Luckily it occurred in the basement. Shopvac time! Too funny!!!!

Not sure if this was mentioned but the other is when you turn on your alk dosing pump for 5 min and leave it on overnight. I've done that more than I'd like to admit.

Last edited:

JulioReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can definitly attest to the spilled RODI water. Mine is hooked up to my laundry pipes so when it spills it goes under the heavy washer and dryer. An added bonus is they scrape the textured wood floors every time I have to move them. Im too forgetful for this. My shutoff valve will be here tmw :)

D_Nyholm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily the worst I've had is my ato tube popped off and filled the floor instead of the sump. Luckily I was in the room to realize and only about a 1/2 gallon went on the floor.

I've left the water on my rodi on multiple times. Luckily I have a bathroom in my fish room and fill the bucket in the bath tub so it just goes down the drain. My cesspool has a lot of nice clean pure rodi water in it!

Germ42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man thankfully my glass lids basically sit on the rim of my overflow, I've only had a lettuce slug be able to climb in the overflow lol found him in my sump two days later and plopped him back in the DT!

Scariest thing I've experienced was on my rimless tank my glass lid is held on by plastic clips and I happened to me in my chill room and I hear a loud bang and all my clips popped and my lid and light that was sitting on my lid went into the tank, I've never scream so loud for my girlfriend to run and help me i grabbed my light by the cords and pulled it out as fast as I could and believe it or not, no issues at all still works, my reaction time was so quick it didn't even get wet! Since then I have upgraded my light with a stand because ever since that day I was so scared it would fall in again while I was at work, even tho I put double the clips and stronger ones as well lol the new set up.

20170119_184930.jpeg

thatguyZach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I lived in my last place (3rd floor apartment) I left the RO water run and forgot it so many times not only did I flood my place, but the apartment below as well and blamed it on a faulty fridge [emoji23] worst one was when I ruined some of my wife's artwork she had in her portfolio that isn't waterproof. Happened almost 2 years ago she still won't let it go... thank goodness I have a ro container with a float valve now in my house!

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I lived in my last place (3rd floor apartment) I left the RO water run and forgot it so many times not only did I flood my place, but the apartment below as well and blamed it on a faulty fridge [emoji23] worst one was when I ruined some of my wife's artwork she had in her portfolio that isn't waterproof. Happened almost 2 years ago she still won't let it go... thank goodness I have a ro container with a float valve now in my house!
I run a gravity fed RO top off with a float valve too! Havent had a problem with it yet thankfully!

captainsmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to set up a sump but there is so little room under the 30 gal tank. I have found a "Del Ray 125" that fits but now I have to modify it so i can find a skimmer to fit into it. I'm changing the tank from a 29 gal to the same footprint 37 gal tank and working on the plumbing.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I left my siphon hose used for drip acclimation above my tank.. somehow it managed to fall into the tank and get a siphon going and I woke up to a loud shhhhh noise and basically a beach in my room.. my bed is low to the ground and I stepped off and probably was in an inch of water.. went downstairs and of course it was all over the ceiling and dripping on the floor... being on the second floor I had no clue if I should break down the tank or not.. it ended up all working out however I think it did a good job at killing my reasoning behind upgrading to something larger...

thatguyZach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I left my siphon hose used for drip acclimation above my tank.. somehow it managed to fall into the tank and get a siphon going and I woke up to a loud shhhhh noise and basically a beach in my room.. my bed is low to the ground and I stepped off and probably was in an inch of water.. went downstairs and of course it was all over the ceiling and dripping on the floor... being on the second floor I had no clue if I should break down the tank or not.. it ended up all working out however I think it did a good job at killing my reasoning behind upgrading to something larger...
Oh that sucks so bad I just airline hose with a knot on it at the end for acclimation so I don't risk a full siphoning and overflow

Starwar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A week after i bought my reefkeeper I was doing my routine water change...little did i know that when i pulled water from my sump I exposed the reefkeeper temp probe. It immediately kicked on my heater which I had also moved, and was in the process of cleaning. started to smell something burning; found my heater smoking..panicked and threw it into the water(boom)

Then today...doing another water change...the handle on my five gallon bucket snapped right in two. spilled about 2 gallons of the dirtiest sump water on the planet onto my area rug(RIP)

I think ill just atop doing water changes! yeah! ;):cool:

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A week after i bought my reefkeeper I was doing my routine water change...little did i know that when i pulled water from my sump I exposed the reefkeeper temp probe. It immediately kicked on my heater which I had also moved, and was in the process of cleaning. started to smell something burning; found my heater smoking..panicked and threw it into the water(boom)

Then today...doing another water change...the handle on my five gallon bucket snapped right in two. spilled about 2 gallons of the dirtiest sump water on the planet onto my area rug(RIP)

I think ill just atop doing water changes! yeah! ;):cool:
You need this!!!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back