Accuracy--Hanna copper Low Range Checker HC - HI747 ?

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have trouble reading color test kits, so I have some of the Hanna testers.

I haven't used their copper tester, but I'm wanting to research it. My wife and I will be buying several fish in the coming weeks & months for our new 125g and other tanks as well, and setting up a QT for every fish we purchase.

Since it's easy to over dose copper, and all the fish will be in the QT, we'll be using copper if needed, I want to make positive that any,... of the tests on the market are accurate.

If you've used/use the Hanna, please let us know how you like it and is it accurate ?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't specifically say it works in seawater, and Hach uses the same chemical method but requires a modified procedure for use in seawater compared to fresh, so I'd suggest writing to them and asking if it works in seawater. I've not heard from folks who have tried it.

reefk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you use chloroquinine Phosphate instead of copper it's much easier,cheaper than copper...Dose once and don't have to measure it...I assume you want to treat for ich, velvet as prevention.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Why don't you use chloroquinine Phosphate instead of copper it's much easier,cheaper than copper...Dose once and don't have to measure it...I assume you want to treat for ich, velvet as prevention.
Because not all fish can handle CP

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Because not all fish can handle CP

Interesting.

But, there's many species that can't handle medications, like some wrasses and butterfly's etc.....
I know I've seen a list, but can't recall where ?

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't there somone here that is respected as "The Doc of Fish" ? lol......
Guess he knows a lot of fish illnesses and treatment ?

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'm hoping that the word from Hanna, that their copper test will work in saltwater?
I just contacted them and she's checking into it for us.

Don't know if she'll call back today or not, but I'll let you know what I find out.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Ok, I'm hoping that the word from Hanna, that their copper test will work in saltwater?
I just contacted them and she's checking into it for us.

Don't know if she'll call back today or not, but I'll let you know what I find out.
I was going to call today myself, but I've spent all day putting out small fires( family emergencies ).
When I ordered the checker yesterday I told the person exactly what I was going to use it for and they never said a word about if it might not work in saltwater.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, hopfully the lady I spoke with (Texas location) that does not know for sure, is not the same person you ordered from!
But, she did say that she spoke with some one yesterday with the same question. :confused:

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm following too. I haven't used the Hanna Copper Checker either (I use the alkalinity and phosphate checkers regularly). I didn't actually notice they offer a copper one.

Last edited:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'd just guess it is not a good plan if the tech reps do not know instantly whether it works in seawater. lol
Don't think I talked with a tech person. It was the first person I spoke with that answered the phone in sales.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well, hopfully the lady I spoke with (Texas location) that does not know for sure, is not the same person you ordered from!
But, she did say that she spoke with some one yesterday with the same question. :confused:

Well after getting in touch with tech support this morning, I was told this device does not work with saltwater.

So as usual I rushed headlong into something before checking it out thoroughly.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back