Achillies with ick

Tanked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone please tell me if paraguard is safe for a reef tank and can cure ick.I have used chemarin stop parasite and it worked but I have a whole thing of paraguard so I figured if I didn't have to spend the loot.I will if its not a good idea,any info would be helpful.And no way could I catch him to quaranteen him.Also ant other succesful methods would be nice,I have alot of LE corals and high end pieces so I get mad nervous treating anything in my DT.

Thanks a bunch.

Dooly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the display? Is he getting enough flow? Is it showing on the other tankmates? If its only on the achilles, I would just leave it alone and just feed it well.

OP
OP
Tanked

Tanked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no signs on anyone else,110 gallon show,mp40 plus maximods and edudtors for flow,so plenty,I was wondering about leaving it alone because in the morning none,at night all over

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a purple tang in with a massive amount of ich. I bought him a cleaner wrasse and he has been ich free for 3 months now, since i got him. Cleaner wrasse is eating blood worms and flake food and doing great as well. The wrasse ate the ich nonstop.

x Sarah x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently cleaner wrasse and shrimp curing Ich is a myth, they merely pick at them but you have to be careful because Ich burrows under the protective film and if a cleaner wrasse is too determined it can damage the film resulting in the fish being vulnerable to infection...

Get a UV sterilizer, they are well worth it, we have ours on all the time but you don't have to, if you start to see signs of ich you switch it on and its gone within a few days :)
the bulbs only need to be replaced once every 6 months.

The reason he has it worse at night than in the morning is because with the Ich life cycle, an adult parasite will only leave the hosts body at night, so in the night, all those spots are falling off the fish, landing on the sand and rocks and hatching into thousands more who once hatched will stay on the bottom until daylight as they are attracted to light so swim upwards and attach to host fish on the way up, so in the morning he's more or less clear and by evening the newly hatched Ich have re-infested him.

Yellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a UV sterilizer, they are well worth it, we have ours on all the time but you don't have to, if you start to see signs of ich you switch it on and its gone within a few days :)

UV sterlizer will not cure ich in a tank. The only thing it will do is lessen the amount of free swimming parasites available to infect fish. Copper and hyposalinity in a quarantine tank are the best methods for curing the fish.

JR,

Yellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone please tell me if paraguard is safe for a reef tank and can cure ick.I have used chemarin stop parasite and it worked but I have a whole thing of paraguard so I figured if I didn't have to spend the loot.I will if its not a good idea,any info would be helpful.And no way could I catch him to quaranteen him.Also ant other succesful methods would be nice,I have alot of LE corals and high end pieces so I get mad nervous treating anything in my DT.

Thanks a bunch.

Nothing on the bottle or their web site says anything about reef safe,
so I'd say no. Not reef safe

JR,

aquafrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
achilles are a tough one, the best is to remove and quarantine with hyposalinity, but you still will have the parasites in the tank. As long as you have hosts it will come back.

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to stray too far off topic... I had a blenny who had half of his face torn off in my tank about 2 years ago. My cleaner wrasse ate and picked all of the dead flesh off of the blenny's face for about 4 months. After i'd say half a year the blenny was back to normal. I love cleaner wrasse, i had one that was 3 yrs old and sadly made his way out of the tank. My current one looks for parasites and cleans my tang's gills and coat for about an hour after the lights come on.

Apparently cleaner wrasse and shrimp curing Ich is a myth, they merely pick at them but you have to be careful because Ich burrows under the protective film and if a cleaner wrasse is too determined it can damage the film resulting in the fish being vulnerable to infection...

The reason he has it worse at night than in the morning is because with the Ich life cycle, an adult parasite will only leave the hosts body at night, so in the night, all those spots are falling off the fish, landing on the sand and rocks and hatching into thousands more who once hatched will stay on the bottom until daylight as they are attracted to light so swim upwards and attach to host fish on the way up, so in the morning he's more or less clear and by evening the newly hatched Ich have re-infested him.

OP
OP
Tanked

Tanked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone.I got the achilles out and sold him to a buddy.(what a pain in the **** that was).Anyways thanks for everyones input.I just figured thousands of dollars in coral comes before a fish.

x Sarah x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV sterlizer will not cure ich in a tank. The only thing it will do is lessen the amount of free swimming parasites available to infect fish. Copper and hyposalinity in a quarantine tank are the best methods for curing the fish.

JR,

Yes i do agree, and UV will not kill Ich off an infected fish, it can only destroy the parasite once it passes through the UV steriliser, but in my opinion they are still worth having, they do reduce the numbers to near nothing, ours is a godsend for new fish or stressed fish, and keep the Ich down so low so its not a worry.

But i would say quarantine is the best and safest option, wish no sand or rock the parasite finds it near impossible to survive and dies off :)

x Sarah x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to stray too far off topic... I had a blenny who had half of his face torn off in my tank about 2 years ago. My cleaner wrasse ate and picked all of the dead flesh off of the blenny's face for about 4 months. After i'd say half a year the blenny was back to normal. I love cleaner wrasse, i had one that was 3 yrs old and sadly made his way out of the tank. My current one looks for parasites and cleans my tang's gills and coat for about an hour after the lights come on.

Our cleaner wrasse killed a porcupine puffer with Ich after picking at it and causing open wounds, it then continued to pick at the destroyed flesh which resulted in massive open wounds and huge stress to the puffer :(

Both fish are no more...

Triggerfreak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanked,Not too be off topic but is that your coral in your avatar.If so what is it and do you have a better pic.Thanks!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 13.3%
Back