Acrylic Fabrication Q & A

Pepcrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't know you posted here Dave, happy Thanksgiving...

Been here a while. I dont post that often. Only when I know my facts are correct. There are some smart, and talented people on this thread. I am always looking to improve my education on the art of working acrylic.
Hope you also had a great turkey day

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Floyd R Turbo @cromag08 @Lowell Lemon , hoping someone might be able to steer me in the right direction. I am going to be adding a lid to my top off container and the open sections of the eurobraced top on the sump. I know I can't just cut a piece of acrylic because it will warp. What is the best design for the lids? I eagerly await your responses!

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been making these for over five years. people really seem to love them.

IMAG0853_1_zpsl6kvdr7a.jpg

@Floyd R Turbo @cromag08 @Lowell Lemon , hoping someone might be able to steer me in the right direction. I am going to be adding a lid to my top off container and the open sections of the eurobraced top on the sump. I know I can't just cut a piece of acrylic because it will warp. What is the best design for the lids? I eagerly await your responses!

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you go to post #813, you'll see how an amateur makes a lid for an ATO...lol. Works great.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has it warped yet?

If you go to post #813, you'll see how an amateur makes a lid for an ATO...lol. Works great.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey, as long as it works and you're happy with it. that's all that matters.

Not the way I do it. I have a made up, amateur, way that I've been lucky with so far...lol.

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of ours cut us 3 pieces of acrylic to use for lids. They are cut to size and fit but we have to drill holes for evaporation, gas exchange etc. How big should the holes be and how far apart should they be spaced? Is there a chance of cracking if not done correctly?

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If not drilled correctly you risk the chance of chipping or cracking the plastic. there are plastic specific drill bits you can purchase. Even if you drilled those lids, you can expect them to warp at some point.

A friend of ours cut us 3 pieces of acrylic to use for lids. They are cut to size and fit but we have to drill holes for evaporation, gas exchange etc. How big should the holes be and how far apart should they be spaced? Is there a chance of cracking if not done correctly?

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were lucky in the sense that they didn't cost us anything for them. I had to replace my glass tops as two of the cracked. We replaced them with egg crate but my lighting is being affected and some of my corals are not happy. These will have to do until we can get something better sometime after the new year.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they warp, just flip them over. but I'd drill as many 1/4" holes as you can.

We were lucky in the sense that they didn't cost us anything for them. I had to replace my glass tops as two of the cracked. We replaced them with egg crate but my lighting is being affected and some of my corals are not happy. These will have to do until we can get something better sometime after the new year.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back