Acrylic turning yellow

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do modern acrylics turn yellow? I know that back in the day acrylic aquariums turned yellow from UV exposure. Do modern acrylics turn yellow? All the information I have received has been from acrylic manufacturers so I take it with a grain of salt. I am told that was cheap Chinese acrylic back in the day. The new stuff is purpose built. I don't have corals, just a Fowler so I don't have much internal UV.

Should I be concerned with buying a acrylic tank for my new 240 build?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do modern acrylics turn yellow? I know that back in the day acrylic aquariums turned yellow from UV exposure. Do modern acrylics turn yellow? All the information I have received has been from acrylic manufacturers so I take it with a grain of salt. I am told that was cheap Chinese acrylic back in the day. The new stuff is purpose built. I don't have corals, just a Fowler so I don't have much internal UV.

Should I be concerned with buying a acrylic tank for my new 240 build?

I don't think you should be worried about that.
All acrylics that aquarium builders use are from 100% good quality acrylic.
There are different types of acrylics on the market but the one specifically for fish tanks is the higher in grade, stronger and durable.
Btw, that will be a nice acrylic box....... 240 gallon :rolleyes:

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not all acrylic fabricators use the proper type of acrylic. high quality acrylic should not turn yellow over time.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cell cast acrylics (the only product should be used by tank manufacturers) should not yellow due to the U.V. inhibitors added during the manufacturing process. That said there is cheap overseas sheet that has a yellow tint before use. The overseas products should be rejected due to the poor quality of the manufacturing process. Only two companies make sheet in the United States PolyOne (Poly Cast) and Reynolds Polymer. Renolds will not work for most fabricators because it is a cross-linked polymer and requires special bonding techniques that Reynolds will not share with the fabracators. So that leaves only PolyOne. Mexico provides what used to be called Plexiglass G cell cast. It is the only other product that seems to work in North America currently. Beware of Acrylite GP and other brands since some of the product seems to have problems. Most of the distribution only stocks continous cast acrylics which are not as dense as cell cast. Supply is a problem for many fabrcators myself included. I have to get shipments from Chicago or the East Coast making the product even more expensive and time limited.

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starfire glass is a brand of low iron glass. While clearer than normal glass it is not as clear as acrylic and scratches almost as easy. But is even weaker than normal tank glass and less impact resistant.

Some people consider it the best of both worlds and love it. I personally consider it as having most the drawbacks of both.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 40 48.2%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%

Back