Adding LED with MH

engineeronh2o

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 54 corner (22" High) that currently has a 250W MH and T5 2x24. I want to get rid of the T5 and add LED in place of it. It is mostly SPS tank, and would like more light. What fixture or setup do you think I should use. I would like something great in quality, bright with good PAR and add some blue and pop to the tank! Price is not a issue over quality. I got space for nothing larger than 24" fixture.

Ecoxotic Panorama LED Modulehttp://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewI...idProduct=XX08200&IdCategory=FILTFILDLK&tab=0
I came across these, and was thinking of using 2 but I am not sure? What you think?

Thanks

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check out our new sponser reef led lights.... you could buy a kit and mount it to a piece of aluminum channel and have the best out there...nothing can compare with crees....;)

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same set-up you did and removed the 2 T-5 with a Reef Brite blue bar......I couldn't be happier with it......I actually had to turn it down because it was starting to fa my Florida rics.....The Reef Brite is by far brighet then the 2 T-5 actinics I had combined......I haven't seen to much of the Panorama in use so I can't speak on those but do a lot of reading on LED light bars and stuff.....I didn't want to spend money only to have to spend more to find something I liked....Not to mention the Reef Brite is 24v that can be upped to 24 or dimmed down to 15v I think the watts on it are like 15w or something....Better for the electric bill as well....

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check out our new sponser reef led lights.... you could buy a kit and mount it to a piece of aluminum channel and have the best out there...nothing can compare with crees....;)

That's true too....+1 The prices there are some of the best I have seen on the net......

I will be using them for a new set-up hopefully in the fall......go completly LED.......

Myteemouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly what I'm doing I'm going 24 royal blue led's in place of 2- 48" T-5's
12 lights on each side 80 degree optics and an aluminum rail to hold together with dimming drivers

OP
OP
E

engineeronh2o

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the Reef Brite setup. I am thinking about putting a 24" Blue/White in along with the 250 MH 14K that I already have. What do you think for color, I want that pop and actinic ability and the light can't adjust from actinic to all lights? If I go with the blue setup, then the front of the tank will be blue and then white below the MH? Not real sure what I should try.... Any tips?

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my Reef Brite set up mounted in front of the MH and angled so that it shines across the tank from front to back.....It comes with mounting brackets so you can mount it and angle it as you need. It don't have to be straight down......No they do not go back and forth from white to blue once plugged in they all will be on.......That is why I went with all blue.....For in the back of the tank I have the Ice Cap LED retrofit tube used as my moon lights and to get some blue to the back of the tank......In all it is a 3 stage lighting set up all set on timers...

OP
OP
E

engineeronh2o

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody know what is the ratio blue/white on the mixed light fixtures (blue/white). The 24" has 12 LED lamps so I was wondering if it is 6:6 or 4:8?

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a picture of your tank that I can see? Just curious how blue is your tank? Thanks

Does anybody know what is the ratio blue/white on the mixed light fixtures (blue/white). The 24" has 12 LED lamps so I was wondering if it is 6:6 or 4:8?

Yes I will get one for you......

They are half and half......every other one is blue 6/6.....

OP
OP
E

engineeronh2o

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked up one of your old threads and they look good to me.

I ran across this site: LED Aquarium Light; AquaRay/ AquaBeam Cree XR emitters & Rio Mini Sun

Has anybody looked at these (Aquaray) and tried them? The site says they use CREE XR-E lighting. If that is the case, this may be a better way to go. Let me know what you all think......

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back