Adding more firefish

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i have a 30 gal with 20 gal sump and have a firefish , 2 ocellaris clowns one royal gramma, how can I add a couple more firefish without it being killed?

OP
OP
rich nyc

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is what i have been reading but I also saw some youtube videos with a guy with 10 gallon with like 5 firefish

OP
OP
rich nyc

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I will go with maybe a school of yellowstriped cardinal fish :(

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're set on Fire Fish this is what worked for me. I bought 3 young Fire Fish and introduced all at the same time. Fire Fish for me have done better in trios or odd numbers. No outward aggression, just subtle posturing. There was always one dominate male and a harem type of relationship. I was probably successful because I ordered young fish and introduced all at the same time. This was a 28 gallon tank.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're set on Fire Fish this is what worked for me. I bought 3 young Fire Fish and introduced all at the same time. Fire Fish for me have done better in trios or odd numbers. No outward aggression, just subtle posturing. There was always one dominate male and a harem type of relationship. I was probably successful because I ordered young fish and introduced all at the same time. This was a 28 gallon tank.

Not necessarily. It is believed, though not known with certainty, that firefish don't transition genders like most reef fish, but are born male and female. If this is so, you likely 'lucked' into an mff trio. Males are intolerant of other males, and females are intolerant of females introduced later.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily. It is believed, though not known with certainty, that firefish don't transition genders like most reef fish, but are born male and female. If this is so, you likely 'lucked' into an mff trio. Males are intolerant of other males, and females are intolerant of females introduced later.

Simply reporting my personal experience. ;) I have never had an issue keeping odd numbers of Fire Fish. Monterey Aquarium has a nice exhibit with 3 inch or larger multiple Fire Fish, and it's not a huge system.

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And i am reporting my experiences, as well as the majority that I encounter.

Understanding why and how something works in instances that most fail is pretty significant so as not to needlessly lead to the death of a fish.

Again, males are intolerant of other males, and females are intolerant of females added after them. So unless you can sex them, sticking to a bonded pr is necessary if you want to rely on more than just luck to have multiples in a tank.

Back