Adding phyto

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!!
I was thinking of buying a little phyto to add to my frag tank.
Ive never added it and I only know a little about it.
Whats your experience with adding phytoplankton to your system? I dont have any SPS.

Ds04384

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!!
I was thinking of buying a little phyto to add to my frag tank.
Ive never added it and I only know a little about it.
Whats your experience with adding phytoplankton to your system? I dont have any SPS.

What are you trying to feed with it

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added phyto a long time ago. I can't say I say a lot of improvements, but I can also say I didn't have clams or a lot of SPS. I have been considering it again, and it will be interesting to see how this thread plays out.

Mallard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my research and experience, adding phytoplankton helps to feed to zooplankton within your tank. The phytoplankton and to a greater extent, zooplankton feed your fish and corals. If you need or want a higher population of copepods and amipods, dosing phytoplankton should benefit these guys.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing phytoplankton from columbo .. only for 4 weeks but I'm sure I can see an improvement in my tank .. the corals just seem bigger and happier .. could just be me though !

Timothy Butler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding phytoplankton is what feed corals and it also feeds copepods. The coral will filter feed on mico oganizemand and the copepods which are great to grow into colonies. They are tiny white animal very small but you can see it by eye on rocks and the tank glass.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding phytoplankton is what feed corals and it also feeds copepods. The coral will filter feed on mico oganizemand and the copepods which are great to grow into colonies. They are tiny white animal very small but you can see it by eye on rocks and the tank glass.
I have loads of copepods in my tank .. I was shocked when I looked at night with the flash light

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add a lot of phyto and zooplankton, esp for some corals like flower pots that need zooplankton to live. It works great for my tank, whether I add phyto and zoo to coral frenzy or reef roids. then spot feed, or just broadcast feed it by itself, it really helps. I can watch flower pots, gorgs, LPS and other softies immediately go into feeding mode when I add it to the tank. SPS also do much better with phyto and zooplankton added to the tank. I wouldn't have a tank that I didn't add phyto to. Just my experience.

Timothy Butler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have loads of copepods in my tank .. I was shocked when I looked at night with the flash light
Do you have a refugium filter. They love the refugium when the tank is off you light the refugium filter and copepod migrate to the light of the tank.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a refugium filter. They love the refugium when the tank is off you light the refugium filter and copepod migrate to the light of the tank.
No I don't unfortunately..!! But I've been seeding my tank with them for my spotted mandarin ..( here in holland it's called LSD pitvis) .. I got the baby copepods and do one bag every other night when the lights are out !! Been doing it for months now

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank, filtration, lighting, what's in it?
It's a Juwel rekkord 110 litre (25g)
Easyled light
Tunze hang on skimmer in tank
Tunze powerhead
Filtration sponges in tank
Tank is just over 1 year old
IMG_2184.JPG

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After adding 6k copepods to my new cycled tank I added a phyto blend, both from algae barn. Im dosing the tank a couple times a week. I want to make sure my tanks gets well established from the beginning. Next I have on order 16 mangroves. The number is just how many there was. Ill be growing these in a CRP hang on Aquafuge. Whatever I cant fit are going to get grown out in a FW cichlid sump/refugium.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread turned into a great resource! Thanks guys!
I'm not really "trying" to feed anything with it. Just wondering what would happen if I added it.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 57 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back