Advice for Big Mama saddleback in hospital...

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like one of two things. Lympho or - and I lean toward this second one- an infection. Looks like it was an injury that is now getting infected. You'll want to treat, in QT, with kanaplex or furan2 or both at the same time if you can find both. You'll dose them at the same time, following the dosing directions for each. Do a water change every other day and redose each med. Do this for 10 days minimum... it may be a bit longer as antibiotics are slow acting in fish.

+1 and also dose amino acids and vitamin M to help with the immune system.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use furan2 with any other antibiotic?
The pet store does not have kanaplex but they have furan2...
do they have metroplex? use that an focus with frozen, The focus binds the meds to the food

OP
OP
Clarksski

Clarksski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. kid coming back from pets mart with furan2 and kanaplex.. QT up and running with air, heat.. no filter yet.. I will dose tank as recommend on packaging.(10 gal tank)..
Guess it's my last hope for her.. but I gotta try.
And I will try and get metroplex tomorrow.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you all for helping!!! Appreciate it and I hope she pulls through!!

Best of luck! Get a filter on there asap and until then plan to do water changes every day.

OP
OP
Clarksski

Clarksski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone still around.. kid came back with furan2... no kanaplex at petsmart.
She did buy maracyn two but will only put furan in at tank for now.. unless advised differently

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She did buy maracyn two but will only put furan in at tank for now.. unless advised differently

Go ahead with the furan 2. It's a good, wide spectrum antibiotic. Lots of aeration and keep a close eye on ammonia. treat for a minimum of 10 days and reassess.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've never mixed minocycline (Maracyn 2) with Furan-2 before. Old man advises kid to only dose Furan-2 for now. :p

OP
OP
Clarksski

Clarksski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks humble too..
I will for now.. and try and get kanaplex and metroplex tomorrow. This is maybe dump question.. but how much water to change daily on QT daily.. and how would I keep the medication constant if I'm taking water out and replacing with new water?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks humble too..
I will for now.. and try and get kanaplex and metroplex tomorrow. This is maybe dump question.. but how much water to change daily on QT daily.. and how would I keep the medication constant if I'm taking water out and replacing with new water?

Antibiotics don't stay active in the water for long. You could, potentially, do a 50% water change daily and redose after.... but for the most part you would do a 30-50% water change every other day and redose the meds then.

OP
OP
Clarksski

Clarksski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So got home from work.. been about 24 hours QT with furan2... mama clown is looking pretty good! Active, breathing nicely. I'm about to take out 50% of water, or 5 gals.. @melypr1985 had said to dose again after water change.. do I dose just for the 5 gals or do I dose for ten.. maybe assuming the remaining antibiotic is degraded?
Also.. Amazon delivering by 9 tonite the kanaplex.. so I will dose that later, after it arrives. I'll see if I can find a good light and take a New picture of the patient!

OP
OP
Clarksski

Clarksski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2207.PNG
The main infection spot has turned from white to red.. I hope that's a good sign.
I don't know how long a clown can go without eating.. offered her some tonite but no bites. It's been about 10 days since she ate last.. but she had some girth going into this so maybe that's to her advantage.
But she's definitely swimming around and acting almost normal.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent news! Go ahead and redose the new water since it's only been about 24 hours. I usually do water changes every 48 hours and redose the entire amount. Since it's only 24 hours you can redose the 5 gallons of the water change and still dose the entire amount of the kanaplex when it comes in.

OP
OP
Clarksski

Clarksski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do they have metroplex? use that an focus with frozen, The focus binds the meds to the food
+1 and also dose amino acids and vitamin M to help with the immune system.
Hey jsker...the metroplex and focus will be here tomorrow. I will try with her food but she's not been interested in eating.. yet.
And can you give recommendation on which amino acids to get as well as where to buy to buy??8

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the brightwell amino, and try some garlic oil with the food to get her to eat.
My LFS has the line, call around the area and see if one of the LFS in your area has it. You can also see if Amazon has it in sameday delivery.

OP
OP
Clarksski

Clarksski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked on Amazon and there are about a dozen different choices of brightwell amino acid supplements...
Is there one that you specifically like?
She was looking great this morning so now I just gotta get her to eat...

OP
OP
Clarksski

Clarksski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2210.JPG
Today, mama clown is doing good. I would say great but she still hasn't eaten yet. I've tried garlic mysis but no-go.
I'm going to do a 5 gal 48 hour water change and will re-dose the furan2 and kanaplex after as @melypr1985 advised. The metroplex and focus came today so I'm wondering.. should I add the metroplex into the mix as @jsker and @Humblefish recommend a couple days ago?
And one last thing with a pic.. she has lived her entire life with a plethora of anemones and now there are none. I bought this today.. it's very soft and rubbery but wondering if I should put it in the QT. It has that kinda petroleum smell to it and made in China.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back