Advice for drilling a tank

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've never drilled a tank before, and I need to drill my refugium (glass aqueon 20 high). I was thinking that the weather could be an issue since it's freezing (~32-35F) outside. Anyone knowledgeable about drilling tanks, do I need to do it at a certain temperature? I'm guessing warmer would be better.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would definitely be more brittle in the cold. It would also be harder on you to stay slow and steady if you're shivering :)

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also when I did mine I kept a steady stream of water flowing on the glass so that might be hard to do if its freezing

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilling creates friction/heat. I would not drill in that cold of temps. You do want to keep the bit wet, but don't need constant water flow from a hose, although it is preferred. back off on the drill clutch as much as possible, let the drill bit do the work for you. no extra pressure. make sure the hole is appropriately distance from all edges. For example, if the hole is 2" in diameter, drill the hole so that it is at least 2" from all edges. Don't measure from the middle of the hole, it rather the closest edge of the hole to the edge of the tank.

thrasher1472

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it with the putty without constant running water. I used cordless drill with like number 4 or so on drill clutch, go slow and don't push , let weight of drill do the work.

Even Further

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The actual drilling is the easy part, if you set up correctly. A template jig clamped to the glass works really well. I've always used a template and scrap piece of glass on the back side. The template positions the drill precisely, and eliminates walking. It can be made from a scrap piece of plywood. The glass on the back side is not needed, but you'll get a cleaner hole with minimal chipping as you end the cut. Also, think about the glass hole that will drop, protect the tank glass so that as you end the cut, the glass disc does not drop on the opposite glass panel.

Measuring is critical. Be 100% sure you have the hole positioned correctly.

Know how to check for tempered glass. I wouldn't even spend time on planning to drill the glass, unless you've checked to make sure the glass is not tempered. You can use polarized sunglasses with a LCD screen, with MS paint on a white background. Tempered glass has stress marks or strain patterns that are clearly visible using this technique. The tank you have is probably not tempered given the size, but it is easy to check.

Millhugh718

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol this is only real reefer do - drilling regardless of freezing temp

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back