Advise and review for a new skimmer!

Coidy92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm looking into buying a new skimmer and I'm just looking for some advise and reviews to help make a decision. I currently have a 100lt system with sump, it's a TMC Signature 450 but I'm looking at upgrading tank to a Red Sea Reefer 525xl in the next year or so and want to cover all bases. I currently have a Bubble Magus C3.5

The current contenders are;

Nyos Quantum 120
IMG_3127.JPG
Reef Octopus Classic 150s and self cleaning head
IMG_3126.JPG

IMG_3128.JPG
Vertex Omega 130
IMG_3129.JPG

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size system is it for? I've had nothing but success with Reef Octopus skimmers, but i'm currently rocking a Skimz DC Monster skimmer and its a beast!

OP
OP
C

Coidy92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size system is it for? I've had nothing but success with Reef Octopus skimmers, but i'm currently rocking a Skimz DC Monster skimmer and its a beast!

Ive edited post. I really like the self cleaning heads on the reef octopus but haven't heard much about them. The nyos quantums have lots of good reviews too though as does the vertex omega.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked into the Tunze DOC 9410 Skimmer? I'm new to the game, but the reviews were awesome for this particular skimmer. Also, the technology where it basically tunes itself and has the anti-overflow system is pretty cool. Reviews from others who use the Tunze say those specifications are truly real and not just hype. I bought one...but don't have my tank setup yet...so sadly can't give you a first-hand review. The price is very comparable to other similar skimmers as well.

tunze skimmer.jpg

OP
OP
C

Coidy92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked into the Tunze DOC 9410 Skimmer? I'm new to the game, but the reviews were awesome for this particular skimmer. Also, the technology where it basically tunes itself and has the anti-overflow system is pretty cool. Reviews from others who use the Tunze say those specifications are truly real and not just hype. I bought one...but don't have my tank setup yet...so sadly can't give you a first-hand review. The price is very comparable to other similar skimmers as well.

tunze skimmer.jpg

That's pretty cool, I like the idea of the filter sock that you can put carbon into, i know you can just tie a filter bag around the outlet but that a pretty cool idea, I'll look a little more into them.

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm looking into buying a new skimmer and I'm just looking for some advise and reviews to help make a decision. I currently have a 100lt system with sump, it's a TMC Signature 450 but I'm looking at upgrading tank to a Red Sea Reefer 525xl in the next year or so and want to cover all bases. I currently have a Bubble Magus C3.5

The current contenders are;

Nyos Quantum 120
IMG_3127.JPG
Reef Octopus Classic 150s and self cleaning head
IMG_3126.JPG

IMG_3128.JPG
Vertex Omega 130
IMG_3129.JPG

You have a 100 liter system? So about 30 u.s. gallons? I have a Reef Octopus 110 SSS and it is seriously oversized. Not sure you will want to go as big as a 150.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty cool, I like the idea of the filter sock that you can put carbon into, i know you can just tie a filter bag around the outlet but that a pretty cool idea, I'll look a little more into them.

Love mine. :)

OP
OP
C

Coidy92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a 100 liter system? So about 30 u.s. gallons? I have a Reef Octopus 110 SSS and it is seriously oversized. Not sure you will want to go as big as a 150.

Yeah it's about 30 u.s gallons, I know it would be oversized but I wanted to cover all bases when it comes to upgrading to the Red Sea reefer 525xl. Have you had any problem with the 110 sss because of the size. I could go for the 110sss the only reason for the large skimmer was to cover my needs further down the line.

OP
OP
C

Coidy92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had a look at the specs and the difference between the 110s and the 152s is only 100lts with the 110s rated to 500l and the 152s rated to 600l, do you find your 110s has problems keeping a steady steam of skimmate?

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a look at the specs and the difference between the 110s and the 152s is only 100lts with the 110s rated to 500l and the 152s rated to 600l, do you find your 110s has problems keeping a steady steam of skimmate?

It doesn't really give me a steady stream of skimmate so the collection neck tends to dry out. I just find I need to clean it more often for good performance than the smaller skimmer it replaced

OP
OP
C

Coidy92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't really give me a steady stream of skimmate so the collection neck tends to dry out. I just find I need to clean it more often for good performance than the smaller skimmer it replaced

Thanks for the advise, I would be looking at putting the automated cleaning head on which would clean the collection neck multiple times a day which may help, I also like to skim wet which may help aswel. Thanks for the replies

Jongalt26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Nyos 120 and love it. Avast marine makes a swabbie that I believe fits the nyos perfectly. You'll need to check though because im not certain which model nyos fits their swabbie. I've also had reef octopus original 110 and I prefer the nyos over it by a larger margin. The nyos is very quiet and the nyos cup twists on so its a 2 handed removal but i prefer that over the friction fits. Some people state that swabbies are detrimental to foam flow in the protein skimmer and the reef octopus swabbie is definitely larger than most, plus it doesn't reach very far into the neck. You'll still have to get down down there to clean it on ocassion. Simplicity makes excellent gear, i havent used their skimmer though so i cant comment on that. Tunze is also a solid company.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back