AEFW. - QT in the DT

Moonlightreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to share my idea hoping this will work since i have no QT .
So i made a frag rack for all my sps and after dipping them in the Bayers i put them on the rack . The rack is pretty much flouting in the water without touching any rock or glass and im planing to keep this way for about 2 months while its easy for me to just get the acros and dip them every week . This way if there is any AEFW in tank they wont be able to get to the corals and hopefully this will starve them to dead . Please let me know what do you guys thing of this idea and if i have any chance this way .

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1436294769.544967.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1436294781.999703.jpg

right arm that holds the frag rack in the water
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1436294838.890913.jpg

and the left arm . Remember nothing can touch the rack but water , no glass or rocks , you have to make sure that they cannt crawl on the rack .
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1436294875.016792.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1436294797.158218.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1436295015.439306.jpg

After the first dip , you can see two of them .
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1436295055.960100.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1436295129.718151.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1436295149.594228.jpg

OP
OP
Moonlightreef

Moonlightreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yesterday was my second dip in Bayers after 7 days and nothing came out :)
6 more weeks if nothing comes out im done . I Cant wait

OP
OP
Moonlightreef

Moonlightreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are doing good , and growing my ALk and CA levels hasnt raised that means they are still using it :)

Vmacisback

Vern McCalla
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would make sure you inspect the plugs sides and underneath for eggs. Most AEWF will come off in the first dip of bayer but if there are eggs on rock work yet to hatch itll be a long process.

OP
OP
Moonlightreef

Moonlightreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would make sure you inspect the plugs sides and underneath for eggs. Most AEWF will come off in the first dip of bayer but if there are eggs on rock work yet to hatch itll be a long process.

i already inspected all the corals for eggs didnt see anything , most of the frag plugs are new never touched a water , i put then on after the first dip . I know its gonna take some time thats why ima hold the corals on the frag rack for two months or more if needed .

rovster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it this way the first time. Tank was clean for a year after. Hard to say if I got reinfected from s new addition or just decimated the population and it took a year to become noticeable. My advice would be after your last weekly dip wait a month and do a last dip for good measure.

reefaboo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with acros in the same system you would never get rid of aefw .. cause all it takes is one specimen to survive and in months there will too many already .. :(

such a sad news to see your tank being infected :( but leaving tank acro free is the only sure shot way of getting rid of aefw..

makeme1098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good idea. I wish I thought about the floating rack.
I defeated AEFW with DT-treatment similar to yours. I went through 3 months of weekly dip.
I had to put the egg crate walls around the racks to prevent the corals to fall off as my Clowfish is territorial and loves to know thing over.
This way, you can avoid having broken Acro pieces on the sandbed.

OP
OP
Moonlightreef

Moonlightreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good idea. I wish I thought about the floating rack.
I defeated AEFW with DT-treatment similar to yours. I went through 3 months of weekly dip.
I had to put the egg crate walls around the racks to prevent the corals to fall off as my Clowfish is territorial and loves to know thing over.
This way, you can avoid having broken Acro pieces on the sandbed.

Im hope for the same results . So far so good . All the bit marks are recovering on the acros so i thing im heading to the right direction :)

OP
OP
Moonlightreef

Moonlightreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it this way the first time. Tank was clean for a year after. Hard to say if I got reinfected from s new addition or just decimated the population and it took a year to become noticeable. My advice would be after your last weekly dip wait a month and do a last dip for good measure.

thats a very good idea , i should do that after my 2 months of dipping is done , i was thinking to do flatworm exit after 2 months passes but i heard they arent that strong against AEFW .

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your method can work. It may take a lot of dips but eventually you'd break up the egg laying cycle. Be careful with the Bayer residue! I killed off some inverts in my tank using Bayer and not rinsing well enough. Good luck and hope you beat them!

OP
OP
Moonlightreef

Moonlightreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your method can work. It may take a lot of dips but eventually you'd break up the egg laying cycle. Be careful with the Bayer residue! I killed off some inverts in my tank using Bayer and not rinsing well enough. Good luck and hope you beat them!

thank you Ritter

OP
OP
Moonlightreef

Moonlightreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
today was week 3 dip 3 . Good news everyone . No signs of any eggs or any adult AEFW . Maybe there was some small once but my eyes couldnt see any .

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep up the good work here.
A few more weeks left.

OP
OP
Moonlightreef

Moonlightreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep up the good work here.
A few more weeks left.

i know i cant wait until its all over : the best news is that my ALK and CA levels hasn't rise up at all witch means my corals are still using it to grow . i can actually see that they are growing even tho i dip them every monday and stress them out .

OP
OP
Moonlightreef

Moonlightreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dip 6 done . zero AEFW with no bit marks , now im gonna wait for one month and do another dip to make sure the corals are AEFW free then back to the game

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 73 78.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 8 8.6%
Back